Dynadot

advice Am I missing something??

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Tunababa8v

Established Member
Impact
I started domaining last year and I will say I have taken it as a graduate course (domaining 101). Over my eight months of domaining, I have taken three namepros thread as a course; the appraisal section, the domain sale section and the newbie section.. The domain sale section in particular has been used as a beacon of hope to keep working hard.

Now as much as I have been left in awe of some stellar sales I have also been baffled as to why some names are sold.Having spent time in the 'domain beginners' thread, I have learnt some things as a general guiding principal to succeeding in domaining.. Among this things are;
1)Never register too long, meaningless names
2)Dot com is king and always go for dot com
3)Domain age plays its role
4)Before registering a name, think like an enduser, would you brand your business with such name..
..... and so on
I was also reading a thread by Josh R. three days ago https://www.namepros.com/threads/newbie-investors-the-domain-vlog-episode-3.1069124/ where he mentioned some dos and donts in his vlog.
All that taken but not to bore you, Federer posted some sales in the 'domain sale section'. https://www.namepros.com/threads/report-completed-domain-name-sales-here.83628/page-596

According to him

'' Just sold:

BeenThereDoneThat.co - $500 (Undeveloped, incomingoffer); $1.50 cost, promo.
Living-Homes.com - €500 (Sedo, incoming offer); to be completed tomorrow. £4.99 cost.''

Now these sales up there got me confused, this doesn't in any follow what we have been taught as a newbie.

Beentheredonethat.co is 17 character long, not a dot com, it is even a dot co, a long short. It doesn't portry a product and I am not sure if I would be branding my business or my blog on '' beentheredonethat''.

And the second one Living-homes, though a dot com got a spoiler in the hyphen. Livinghomes!??

Is there anything we are missing as a newbie or is approaching domaining the holistic way the right way.. Seasoned domaimers please shed more light on this..
Cc Federer, Josh R, Usernamex, TomCarl, Silentpr, Larrydomain, Kerala, Kate

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Interesting read for newbies like us...

•••
...maybe you can apply your domain course knowledge and counter:xf.cool:

I just like it for $12 USD

and others do so too

upload_2018-3-19_11-38-32.png

upload_2018-3-19_11-39-39.png

Every pro gamer will spend hours sat down practising and playing in online events, which is why it is important to have a comfortable set up. The most important part of this is the chair you use, a bad chair can lead to lifelong health problems, so investing in a solid option is always a good idea.
One often forgotten area of esports is that of simracing. One of the oldest areas of competition is often overlooked for the flashy MOBAs and shooters, but it is still one of the most competitive and entertaining genres. Of course, anyone serious about sim racing will need a nice setup that works for them, but one of the most impressive options is the Thrustmaster TS-PC Racer Racing wheel.
“Equipment matters when you are competing against the best in the world. A better racing wheel gives me more information, ..."
The one bit of kit that pretty much every esports pro will need, regardless of their game or platform of choice, is a good headset. Being able to hear the in game sounds, and your teammates, is vitally important across all esports, and a good headset is exactly what you will need.
But for esports pros, especially those in the console world where noisy open LAN events are common, the Elite Pro has one accessory that really makes it great. The Tournament Mic is a detachable microphone designed for noise situations such as playing on stage or in a LAN environment. The mic takes the noise in front of it and mutes it, using the mic pointing towards your mouth as the only input. This means you can get near broadcast quality speech while playing on stage.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/mikest...to-become-the-best-in-the-world/#439e8575d122

Last edited:
•••
What you have learned is good.

@Federer 's success is not easy to replicate. He did not register those names randomly. He had done certain research and assumed reasonable probability of sale for those specific names. Then he uses promos to register the names cheaply and does it on massive scale. For every BeenThereDoneThat or Living-Home there are tens that won't sell and be dropped.

And all that then adds to his experience to be able to tell even better what might sell with higher probability.

•••
•••
•••
The best way to lose money doing this, is by following along with what everyone else is doing, just because they claim they did this or that.

Good point to consider

one needs validation of proclamations, if you consider following, while not being led.

imo...

•••
This may sound old school but i can't see how taking a 'course' on domaining is ever going to help. It's like those degree courses on things like yodelling...people actually pay money for this. NPs has everything you need to know and for free.

My advice is don't take this too seriously, play at it for fun and if you make some money then great. Don't over invest, turn off auto renew, .com is king but you can make money from other extensions and the hardest one for me personally to follow is.....plan who your end user is, rather than getting reg happy and burning loads of money.

Also......wear sunscreen :ROFL:

•••
Knowledge is money, information isn't.
Information is free, knowledge isn't.
Knowledge is secret, information is open to everyone.

What you can learn from public sources can not be an economically profitable meta. As it's publicly available to everyone, too many people already use that info to make profit from it, too many competitors on the same boat.
Do opposite of what the majority does, don't follow the crowd. Buy when everyone sells, sell when everyone buys.

•••
And, you will also get confused for the name sold for few thousands dollars and it is available to register now....

•••
And, you will also get confused for the name sold for few thousands dollars and it is available to register now....
Can you provide more details on that please!

•••
What I meant is:

A name is purchased for few thousands but the new owner didn't renew it when the renewal time comes...... and so, the domain name is available to be registered

To give you more details on this, I need some time to explore Namebio...... but it is a truth.

•••
There is a reason why you learn the alphabets before you learn words. You have to know the rules before you can break them. You have to learn the basics before you can reinvent them.

This is true for domaining as well as any other business out there.

•••
There is a reason why you learn the alphabets before you learn words. You have to know the rules before you can break them. You have to learn the basics before you can reinvent them.

This is true for domaining as well as any other business out there.
Well you would have been right but in this case what we call 'the basics' has been sidelined.

•••
There is some pretty good advice and views already mention here.

So here goes mine.

The truth is if you take your time to learn it's an advantage but in my opinion learning is just 25% at best, of the process of selling (you also never stop learning), this is only the theory side.

You also need the practice side, imo experience is the most valuable process of everything, it's as important as learning or even more important 30% (with practice comes perfection).

Example when you try to get your driving license, you can learn everything in the theory side but this doesn't mean when you get on a car you will know immediately how to drive you have to practice so you can truly know how to drive.

The problem with domain names is you can burn a lot of cash just to practice for a little bit.

On the other hand if you have a big pocket you can learn and practice (gain experience) 10 times faster.

I think your on the right track, especially making your own strategy and dissecting sales that just seem confusing, is a good thing it may even guide you to a untapped niche that has very low competition.

One thing that's very important is that in the domain name industry patience is a very important key 35% not just in sales but in learning and acquiring knowledge.

That's why most domainers don't make it they get in to this industry thinking they can make fast buck but when they can't they lose hope and get of this industry as fast as they got in

My tips to you are:

1 - Continue learning but don't try to replicate what other people are doing. Learn what they are doing and make your own strategy one that works for you. Don't forget what works for someone else doesn't mean it will work for you, if that was the case everyone would be a Bill Gates.

2 - Before you start to build a diversified portfolio, try to find a niche where there isn't to much competition and focus on that niche (make sales) before you start diversifying your portfolio.

3 - don't try to make sales of high x,xxx$ or xx,xxx$ concentrate on medium xxx$ to medium x,xxx$ sales for now, when you got a more full pocket from those sales you can focus on acquiring domains that can be sold for high x,xxx$ or low xx,xxx$.

4 - when you make a sale put 100% of that money back to domaning if you need to put some in your pocket just take 10% max (depending on the sale).

5 - hear feedback from other domainers (preferably experienced ones, that want to help you) regarding your domains but even if they say the domain isn't worth 1$ doesn't mean it's correct, make your own conclusion, what may seem worthless for you, may seem gold for someone else.

Here's a great example, i found a cctld niche recently (until now bought around 4 domains in that niche sold all of them), i message a veteran domainer ( i think it was here on Namepros) asking for feedback on the domain, he said it was worthless, then he mention the reasons why he thinks that (it was pretty valid reasons), i thanked him but i still thought i could sell it easily.

I approach one enduser that even said this "example.com is a terrible domain name. I believe you've made a bad investment. I won't use it even if I got it for free. Good luck trying to sell it." i respected his opinion and thanked him for the feedback, one day later got 3 offers from 400$ to 500$ and 4 days later sold it for 680$ could have sold it for much higher price but some renewals were coming up so i'm happy with the sale.

Follow your gut, especially if you know something others dont (secret is the soul of a business).

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back