Dynadot

advice Am I missing something??

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Tunababa8v

Established Member
Impact
I started domaining last year and I will say I have taken it as a graduate course (domaining 101). Over my eight months of domaining, I have taken three namepros thread as a course; the appraisal section, the domain sale section and the newbie section.. The domain sale section in particular has been used as a beacon of hope to keep working hard.

Now as much as I have been left in awe of some stellar sales I have also been baffled as to why some names are sold.Having spent time in the 'domain beginners' thread, I have learnt some things as a general guiding principal to succeeding in domaining.. Among this things are;
1)Never register too long, meaningless names
2)Dot com is king and always go for dot com
3)Domain age plays its role
4)Before registering a name, think like an enduser, would you brand your business with such name..
..... and so on
I was also reading a thread by Josh R. three days ago https://www.namepros.com/threads/newbie-investors-the-domain-vlog-episode-3.1069124/ where he mentioned some dos and donts in his vlog.
All that taken but not to bore you, Federer posted some sales in the 'domain sale section'. https://www.namepros.com/threads/report-completed-domain-name-sales-here.83628/page-596

According to him

'' Just sold:

BeenThereDoneThat.co - $500 (Undeveloped, incomingoffer); $1.50 cost, promo.
Living-Homes.com - €500 (Sedo, incoming offer); to be completed tomorrow. £4.99 cost.''

Now these sales up there got me confused, this doesn't in any follow what we have been taught as a newbie.

Beentheredonethat.co is 17 character long, not a dot com, it is even a dot co, a long short. It doesn't portry a product and I am not sure if I would be branding my business or my blog on '' beentheredonethat''.

And the second one Living-homes, though a dot com got a spoiler in the hyphen. Livinghomes!??

Is there anything we are missing as a newbie or is approaching domaining the holistic way the right way.. Seasoned domaimers please shed more light on this..
Cc Federer, Josh R, Usernamex, TomCarl, Silentpr, Larrydomain, Kerala, Kate

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Maybe you should unlearn everything you have learned, be a Maverick:playful:

•••
Value is subjective, what they don't tell you is that you also have the power to influence others in seeing the value that you see.

Listen to podcasts and take courses all you want, but at the end of the day you probably know something someone else doesn't.

•••
I started domaining last year and I will say I have taken it as a graduate course (domaining 101). Over my eight months of domaining, I have taken three namepros thread as a course; the appraisal section, the domain sale section and the newbie section.. The domain sale section in particular has been used as a beacon of hope to keep working hard.

Now as much as I have been left in awe of some stellar sales I have also been baffled as to why some names are sold.Having spent time in the 'domain beginners' thread, I have learnt some things as a general guiding principal to succeeding in domaining.. Among this things are;
4)Before registering a name, think like an enduser, would you brand your business with such name..
..... and so on
I was also reading a thread by Josh R. three days ago https://www.namepros.com/threads/newbie-investors-the-domain-vlog-episode-3.1069124/ where he mentioned some dos and donts in his vlog.
All that taken but not to bore you, Federer posted some sales in the 'domain sale section'. https://www.namepros.com/threads/report-completed-domain-name-sales-here.83628/page-596

According to him

'' Just sold:

Living-Homes.com - €500 (Sedo, incoming offer); to be completed tomorrow. £4.99 cost.''

Now these sales up there got me confused, this doesn't in any follow what we have been taught as a newbie.

Beentheredonethat.co is 17 character long, not a dot com, it is even a dot co, a long short. It doesn't portry a product and I am not sure if I would be branding my business or my blog on '' beentheredonethat''.

And the second one Living-homes, though a dot com got a spoiler in the hyphen. Livinghomes!??

Is there anything we are missing as a newbie or is approaching domaining the holistic way the right way.. Seasoned domaimers please shed more light on this..
The main idea is that you should read everything but trust just a small fraction of that information. For example, even if the phrase '.com is king' is true, because most of the sales are done by .com owners, there are successful domainers who deal almost exclusively with .co, .org, cctld's or just ngtlds and they are very successful, some of them selling over 100 domains per year and some of them selling a domain for up to xxxxxx. Also, it's a fact that hyphen domains are harder to sell, but if you check namebio, you will notice that some of them do sell, mostly to european end users. For example, I've sold three hyphen domains last year and I have some hyphen domains with at least three offers from different users, so some of them do sell, but for less than the non-hyphen variant and usually less often. Also, if you will ask Federer, you will see that he owns most of the time around 8-10k domains and sells around 1% of his portofolio, so it's mostly a numbers game...you could not do that with 100-500-1000 domains and he's doing this for years, so he knows exactly what domains to pick. Also, he's dropping a lot at the end of each year, but counting his sales, he's still making a nice profit.
The main idea is to find a niche that sells, some particular keywords and you should be fine. For example, some are selling just .co's, some just LLLLL. com's, some just org acronyms, some just cctlds and so on.

Last edited:
•••
I started domaining last year

don't get taught....
learn for yourself

imo....

•••
I don't think you should 'unlearn' everything you've absorbed about domaining - just remember that a lot of the beginners advice you have learned is just that - aimed at beginners.

Advice such as 'stick to .com's', 'shorter is better', etc., is absolutely vital to follow when you're starting out IMO - it steers you away from danger, risky investments and loss of money, at a time when it's important to just buy a couple of domains and get used to how, where, when and why to sell them.

It's a little like poker - beginners advice such as 'only play big hands', 'bet your strong cards hard' and 'only play in position' is great advice, and gives you a solid foundation for learning more advanced skills once you have the basics in place - if you just jumped into making the same advanced plays as you see professionals making in the WSOP, you'd be broke before you even really got started.

I'm not nearly experienced or talented enough yet to purchase and sell .co, .io extensions, etc., but I realize that there are those ahead of me who can and do - it's why I spend so much time learning everything I can about domaining in order to diversify and increase my portfolio over time - however, I realize this is a future goal and though my portfolio may be a little 'safe' at the moment, this is likely to change as I gather the necessary experience and knowledge.

I appreciate this is a little rambly - I suppose my ultimate point is that you need to master the basics, before moving onto more advanced domains and extensions. It seems as though your well on your way to doing this, just don't get too impatient or exasperated at what seems to be contradictory advice - build on your foundation knowledge, don't discard it altogether.

•••
I don't think you should 'unlearn' everything you've absorbed about domaining - just remember that a lot of the beginners advice you have learned is just that - aimed at beginners.

Advice such as 'stick to .com's', 'shorter is better', etc., is absolutely vital to follow when you're starting out IMO - it steers you away from danger, risky investments and loss of money, at a time when it's important to just buy a couple of domains and get used to how, where, when and why to sell them.

It's a little like poker - beginners advice such as 'only play big hands', 'bet your strong cards hard' and 'only play in position' is great advice, and gives you a solid foundation for learning more advanced skills once you have the basics in place - if you just jumped into making the same advanced plays as you see professionals making in the WSOP, you'd be broke before you even really got started.

I'm not nearly experienced or talented enough yet to purchase and sell .co, .io extensions, etc., but I realize that there are those ahead of me who can and do - it's why I spend so much time learning everything I can about domaining in order to diversify and increase my portfolio over time - however, I realize this is a future goal and though my portfolio may be a little 'safe' at the moment, this is likely to change as I gather the necessary experience and knowledge.

I appreciate this is a little rambly - I suppose my ultimate point is that you need to master the basics, before moving onto more advanced domains and extensions. It seems as though your well on your way to doing this, just don't get too impatient or exasperated at what seems to be contradictory advice - build on your foundation knowledge, don't discard it altogether.

Let me try Explaining with a real world example:

I bought Curatedstaffing.com cause every client of mine wants a curated database.
HCMHR.com as it implies Humancapital management/ Human resource solutions.
EbbHR.com as it implies to reduce the dependency on expensive internal HR and outsource the recruiting function to agency recruiters.
All these were available and i did not buy from the aftermarket.

Likewise:
For Computer associates - ca.com is apt and so much branding has gone into it and obviously was taken long back.
Likewise International Business Machines - ibm.com

If you are buying a short 3/ 4 letter word for resale then you should already map the targeted customer with a long name else it's meaningless.

i see many are holding on to inane dictionary names with no real business world function.

I think more time should be spent studying crunchbase and then use it in conjunction with domainers knowledge bank.

Last edited:
•••
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder."
"One mans trash is another mans treasure." :xf.wink:

Sure, none of us would pay those prices for those domains. But, someone sees enough value in those domains to pay the price. He more than likely has an extensive portfolio of names as well.

•••
•••
I bought Curatedstaffing.com cause every client of mine wants a curated database.
HCMHR.com as it implies Humancapital management/ Human resource solutions.
EbbHR.com as it implies to reduce the dependency on expensive internal HR and outsource the recruiting function to agency recruiters.
All these were available and i did not buy from the aftermarket.

and they are still not sold

•••

..... and so on

According to him

'' Just sold:

best advice I got :

get advice where it's good
and not where it's available

•••

in my opinion in these sales there is nothing you can learn
other then
domains sell for multiple reasons
and you can't cover it all

concentrate on stuff you understand

•••
and they are still not sold

They are meant for one of my ventures and just bought a couple of months back..sale is only a bonus..i can think of other names no big deal:xf.smile:

•••
The problem isn’t you my friend. You fell into the hype of domain flipping where 90% of the time a flipper loses up to 10 times the cost of a domain name trying to promote it. Less than 1% of all the millions of domain names listed for sale on a daily basis sell, way less than 1 percent. Don’t be fooled about the flipping hype. That is created so you keep buying domain names and paying to promote them.

•••
The problem isn’t you my friend. You fell into the hype of domain flipping where 90% of the time a flipper loses up to 10 times the cost of a domain name trying to promote it. Less than 1% of all the millions of domain names listed for sale on a daily basis sell, way less than 1 percent. Don’t be fooled about the flipping hype. That is created so you keep buying domain names and paying to promote them.

if 1% of domain names sell daily
how many percentage wise are selling per year?

•••
Last edited:
•••
Not sure what the point of this link is - I think the domain name being linked to has some value - eSports is showing the potential to be absolutely huge over the next 3-5 years and a keyword-rich domain for only $12 doesn't seem a bad investment to me.

I'd have bought it myself at that price, if I'd have seen it - I don't see how the $12 price tag can be used as a negative slight on a fellow member - even the wealthiest people on the planet buy a $4 coffee now and then :xf.smile:

Maybe I'm missing something.

Last edited:
•••
Not sure what the point of this link is - I think the domain name being linked to has some value - eSports is showing the potential to be absolutely huge over the next 3-5 years and a keyword-rich domain for only $12 doesn't seem a bad investment to me.

I'd have bought it myself at that price, if I'd have seen it - I don't see how the $12 price tag can be used as a negative slight on a fellow member - even the wealthiest people on the planet buy a $4 coffee now and then :xf.smile:

99% of my domain are handregs
a $12 USD domain is pretty close to a hand reg
it could have been worse then esports ;)

http://www.bbc.com/sport/olympics/41790148

Last edited:
•••

Everyone's strategy is different and everyone has particular things they like to spend their time and money on, different skills and knowledge to do this, etc.

This is where the experience comes in. You have to go along with your niche and ignore everything else. I honestly don't get those sales, either, but at the same time we don't truly know the behind the scenes of those particular sales and if the seller was able to sell those then good for them.

You have to choose a niche (by lightly experimenting), being highly selective and go along with what works for you, what you personally understand best as a whole and throw everything else out.

The best way to lose money doing this is by following along with what everyone else is doing just because they claim they did this or that.

Last edited:
•••
I think the most important thing in @Tunababa8v post is (4), always think like an enduser. Have a clear answer to why someone would find the domain valuable, and how they would use it, before even considering purchasing the domain name.

Also, when thinking of end users, be open minded. I think sometimes in this community we think too narrowly as businesses as the only purchasers of domains. Many, especially major sales, are made to businesses, but individual professionals, NGOs, clubs, bloggers, personalities, ordinary people, etc. also buy domain names.

Having a written domain investment plan is a good idea. It might define what area niches you want to operate in, how much you want to have invested, what are your goals for returns, the methods you will use to reach potential purchasers, etc. Like any investment plan, a good idea to review how you are doing, and possibly alter your plan, at least once a year.

Thanks for the excellent post that started this, and thank you to everyone who has left insights.

•••
"

Living-Homes.com is a good name that sold to cheap....like really cheap.
I sold Photo-Tours.com for 12,000USD..... and other 5 figure hyphen .com names.

I own six figure hyphen names, but I am a MikeMann type investor:xf.smile:

•••
it really comes down to 2 things:

Rarity: how rare is the name and are there better or any alternatives to what you have?

Use: Why and what would someone use the name for?

Last edited:
•••

eSportgadgets.com is available to hand reg...synonym for equipment and way shorter:xf.smile:
all other extensions of e sport equipment are open and if someone buys it from aftermarket then it tells you the level.
nice sounding name but esport just needs a lappy or phone...no equipment needed...maybe you can apply your domain course knowledge and counter:xf.cool:

•••
enough with the learning (it's never enough though) and just start taking actions and see how much of what you learn sticks 99% of it didn't in my case. also not saying what you learned is all wrong.

some crazy heads register crazy names and other crazy ones buys them right off. or maybe you are the crazy one not able to see the value in it. there's always going to be something that you don't know/see which plays a role in domain pricing.

as a newbie you are playing it way strictly and in made up rules. try breaking the box you have put yourself in.

•••
Domain sales do not always fall into neat categories they are unpredictable. Sometimes people want to pay less and get an alternate name. No one is recording the private sales that happen every day except in small measure our report a sale thread which is voluntary and does not include all sales. So there is a pretty small window we see of what sells and much of that is domainer to domainer.

My point is the goal is to obtain good names and sell them. Analyzing why something sold and something else did not is not really worth doing because we don’t have access to a particular buyers mindset when purchasing and will never have all the facts. It would be speculative at best.

The best teacher is just time and experience not trying to duplicate someone else's method but find your own.

•••
Back