Dynadot

question Alternatives to Escrow.com?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
I noticed today upon logging into my escrow.com account that they are now requiring that all customers provide them with copies of government issued ID's. I'm not interested in trusting these people to securely store documents that could be used to steal my identity especially since they're now a foreign-owned company and also because they no longer seem terribly on the ball. Anyone have experience with some of the alternatives?

I know that snapnames and sedo offer escrow, but I've never tried either of them. Are they any good? Any other recommendations? Thanks.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
@21x29 - The supported methods of sending and receiving funds to/from Epik for an escrow transaction are:

Credit Card
PayPal
ACH
Wire
Bitcoin
Paper check
Western Union

If the seller chooses to use funds within Epik, there is no fee. The proceeds are deposited to the seller's Epik balance without fee. If funds are disbursed, then the fee depends on the transaction size and the payment method that was used. It is never more than 5%. For a wire transaction, it is 1.5%, and can be even lower for a large transaction.

For smaller transactions, e.g. under $2500, most folks will simply use our domain marketplace. In this case, the domain is on Epik registrar. The buyer is able to then purchase (or lease) the domain from our marketplace at which time (1) the domain instantly moves to the buyer's Epik account, and (2) the proceed from the sale are instantly deposited to the seller's Masterbucks account. Once funds are deposited, these funds are instantly available for use from within the Epik account without fee.

Specific to China transactions, our marketplace is busy with China transactions all day long. The interface does have a Chinese language version and support is 24/7. We are looking to add Chinese native staff in the next few months, or potentially a China-based acquisition. In the meantime, we have had no problem processing marketplace and escrow transactions for Chinese customers. If someone needs something special, they should contact us to discuss.

Since I also received other questions via email, I will go ahead and address those here as well:

Why does Epik offer this service?
We have offered this service as a convenience for customers for years now. We have done some fairly exotic transactions, combining payment methods, structuring payments, splitting disbursements, bundling domains and websites, etc. Many people who come to us have reported that Escrow.com was not flexible, too slow, or unable to process an escrow transaction in the manner that buyer or seller needed.

What is the benefit for Epik to complete an escrow transaction or marketplace sale without a fee?
The main benefit for Epik is that it is what in marketing language is called a "Point of entry". When a domain owner sells a domain to a new end-user, we gain a new (retail) client. Since domain investors generally get everything from Epik at or near cost, our margins have to come from serving end-users, typically through a bundle of services such as domain, hosting, development, SSL certs, etc.

Why can buyer and seller trust Epik?
Escrow transactions are fundamentally a trust issue, so it is a fair question. After all, both buyer and seller are depositing assets with a 3rd party intermediary who will facilitate a fair exchange. To date, I have personally coordinated all of our escrow transactions, managing the dialog with buyer and seller, providing assurance and clarification where needed. We get it done.

What about Purchase and Sale Agreement?
Most escrow transactions don't require one. However, to the extent that a legal agreement is needed, beyond Epik's standard terms, we provide templates which can be used as needed. If a custom agreement is needed, we can prepare one. Though I am not an attorney, I believe most would advise that for large transactions, e.g. $100K+ a purchase and sale agreement is advisable.

Does Epik disclose sales via escrow or marketplace?
We rarely do. In fact, the branding language of "The Swiss Bank of Domains" and "Legendary Support" were both cases of customers coming up with the language. In the process of time, we simply adopted those terms, and then have worked hard to operate in a way that aligns to the promises made in that branding. There are some great testimonials here. On a related, WHOIS privacy is always free at Epik.

Are there transactions that you don't do?
We are generally not the market-maker to choose when buying or selling adult domains. We know nothing about the market for those domains and prefer not to do them, and generally drop them. I am happy to discuss the reasons for this one on one with anyone who needs to understand the reason. If you check out our daily diamonds list of names being dropped, you will often find traffic names there. It is a reverse auction, running for 24 hours. The prices drop to as low as $19.

I hope that helps. Let me know if you need more.

@domainbartender - We have done lots of exotic escrow transactions, with mixed currencies, multiple payment sources, staggered distributions, brokerage reserve distribution, etc. If you can describe the terms, and all parties can agree to them, I am pretty sure we can manage a cost-effective escrow process that matches the agreed structure. Feel free to email me at [email protected], or skype to robertmonster.

@alcy

Domains sold in our Marketplace are deposited tax-free and commission-free into the user's corresponding Masterbucks account. If funds are withdrawn, including to PayPal Canada, the commission is 5% of gross.

A buyer can use PayPal.

As for payment fraud and chargebacks, if a transaction is high risk, there may be a short delay in disbursing proceeds. Epik guarantees a transaction. If there is fraud by a buyer, we pursue the buyer.

There is a 60-day transfer lock for domain purchases, but the domain can be pushed. That said, we enforce the minimum of what ICANN allows when it comes to transfers in/out of Epik.

https://www.namepros.com/threads/epik-announces-escrow-service.895046/page-2

No, not correct.

If the buyer funds via bank deposit, and proceeds are paid out via wire transfer, the entire cost is 1.5% + $40. The 1.5% is a lower escrow rate for transaction where the buyer is funding via bank transfer. This is the lowest escrow rate we offer, and should be about the most competitive around for a secure escrow.

Two more things here:

1. In case not aware and that is that you can also pay with Bitcoin and be paid out with Bitcoin. We recently added native support for BTC transactions.

2. Sales proceeds that are kept on Epik are indeed 100% commission-free and tax-free. For guys who sell domains and have domain renewal/transfer expenses, there is no better deal than Epik.

Specific to the escrow topic, I am quite baffled that the domain industry does not have stronger escrow options. Epik will fill the void.

We also provide 1 year interest-free domain loans in the form of Epik account credit for folks that need a little help bridging cashflow and are at risk of losing domains they prefer to keep.

@Jurgen Wolf - If the buyer pays using PayPal or Credit card, then 100% of the proceeds are still deposited to your account without commission. If the proceeds are redeemed, there is a 5% commission. You can arrange with your Buyer who pays the commission.

And with all these questions, we'll add a Price calculator which also will streamline the process for starting a new escrow transaction. We'll get it online asap. In the meantime, the easy solution is to keep domains at Epik as the marketplace natively integrated and proceeds are then used tax-free and commission-free.

https://www.namepros.com/threads/epik-announces-escrow-service.895046/page-3

•••
•••
Compare this Sedo 3% VS Concierge fee at escrow.com above $5K...

Last edited:
•••
p.s. How many $5K+ sales you make yearly?
Except LLL/LLLL.com

•••
concierge? i'm talking about plain escrow...

•••
Sedo's escrow is NOT plain, it includes this "concierge" by default.
And as for me, I will not risk with any "plain" escrow (or more exactly - pseudoescrow) on $5K+ transactions.

Last edited:
•••
OK, i see your point.
and what do you think are the risks of not having a domain being sent to the escrow account and directly to the client, when the funds are secured at escrow's bank account?

•••
With "plain" escrow.com we can get a scenario when the domain was pushed/transferred and not confirmed (and WHOIS was also not changed OR changed to 3rd-party contacts)... So no domain and no money for you.

•••
ok, that is what i see also. I have been minimizing that risk because i usually have been lucky in finding buyers that look legit/trustable. and when I am the buyer this risk does not apply, but there is the comission fee that is retain even if the transaction is cancelled and that is the major problem i see with Escrow.com.

Sedo should review its flat fee because 3% is too much for an escrow.
Actually it seems to be a pattern of the domain market to ask for absurd fees for every service, except for some operators like Escrow.com or some Chinese marketplaces.

•••
3% at Sedo may be paid by Buyer as well.
Regarding 50/50 - I don't remember if it is possible...

•••
@Jurgen Wolf

I have always used Escrow/com for sales.

Never used Sedo's escrow.

Since you use them, and seem to know the process, I have a few question if you don't mind.

How does this work - you start the escrow by sending an email to Sedo, is that right?

Does Sedo email the buyer and take it from there, or do you have handle the transaction with the buyer?

The fee is 3% or a minimum of $60, correct?

How do they verify when the domain is transferred to the buyer?

Will they release your funds if the buyer doesn't respond?

Escrow/com will check for you if the buyer doesn't respond, does Sedo escrow do this.?

How do you keep from being screwed by the buyer when using Sedo escrow?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
•••
Email or LiveChat to start.
Transaction can be initiated by any party.

Then push into Sedo's escrow-account - and that's all, money will be sent to you the same or next business day.

Last edited:
•••
Email or LiveChat to start.
Transaction can be initiated by any party.

Then push into Sedo account - and that's all, money will be sent to you the same or next business day.

That's all.

So the buyer has to have a Sedo account too, to receive the domain?

•••
How do they verify that the buyer received the domain if the buyer doesn't?

Will they still release your funds?

•••
NO any confirmations are needed.
The domain push into their account is enough to finish transaction.

And Yes - the buyer must be registered at Sedo as well.

p.s. Use their FAQ...

•••
Paypal Inc. registered the domain names PaypalWire.com/.net and Paypal-Wire.com/.net

???

•••
PayPal agent told me no immediate plans, but if they ever do clients will receive an email.

•••
PayPal agent told me no immediate plans, but if they ever do clients will receive an email.
I doubt CSR would have that kind of information, but I mean it could be a good alternative, or go to if done right. I guess paypal is always looking for ways to add to the bottom line, as everyone is always attempting to take share from them.

•••
PayPal told me they were looking for alternative solutions, one never knows until it happens.

•••
You are still looking for new adventures with PayPal???

•••
I just like having alternatives. :)

•••
I'm glad we started this Topic.
escrow.com sucks. It took me 2 weeks to receive my money after I transferred the domain. No joke!
The worst part was, I had to call them every few days to check on them. They told me the problem was Bank of America. This transaction was in November 2016.
They promised they wouldn't charge me wired fees since it took 2 weeks for a wire transfer (USA bank to USA bank). Yet when I checked they charged me $10.
I hate Escrow.com and hope we can come up with a better system. I'm certainly against this whole "give me all your life info before I process your money"
I hope Bitcoin takes over all these crooks. I'm against all companies who are submissive to the CIA or governments.
Collecting data forcefully in order to do business with a customoer seems to be the new trend.

Last edited:
•••
what is your view about Escrow.domains? Is it a safe bet?

•••
I have heard good things about escrow.domains, but have never used for myself.

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back