Afternic - Official Thread

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

GoDaddy

Established Member
GoDaddy Staff
Impact
Hello NamePros!
By popular demand, we have launched a dedicated feedback thread for Afternic, the GoDaddy-owned domain name marketplace.

We have created this thread as a way for you to tell us what works, what doesn't work, and what features you'd like to see at Afternic (please be constructive with your feedback). We're looking forward to hearing from the domain investment community to help us shape the future of Afternic.

We will also be sharing Afternic product updates in this thread.

Please note that this thread is not meant for support. Please email our support team at [email protected] for assistance.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Afternic should be fully accessible. If anyone is continuing to experience issues, please DM us.
It's been 4 days since Afternic worked for me. I got through once today and after that, the same error message popped up. I haven't heard back from any support yet.

•••
I had a previous sale on afternic for $4000 last year and I listed another domain last August. But I think someone has bought the domain and I cannot find the domain on my account. I didn't receive any email from afternic regarding this sale and also now I cannot log into my afternic account. When I try to login it redirects me back to the login page.

Have a look at this and let me know what has happened. We as customers list domains on afternic because of the trust we have. But it seems like you don't care about us. Now I have lost my domain and as well as my money.

Let me know what has happened here asap

•••
I finally got through to Afternic support and they don't know why I'm getting this error message and why I haven't been able to log in for the last 5-6 days. They told me no one else has reported it so far and they have to escalate it to the dev team, like GoDaddy support also told me when I talked to them on Sunday about not being able to access my GD account. Currently, I can't get into either my Afternic or my GD account.

For Afternic, it's been the same error message every time I log in. I've tried to change my password, clear my cookies and cache, open it from a private window, use another wifi service. Doesn't change anything. The person I chatted with Afternic support told me they can access my account from their end but I just can't from my end apparently.

For GoDaddy, my 2FA SMS isn't working. I'm not receiving the codes when they send them and when I try and reset the password, it goes to a blank pink error message. GD support also had me try to change my password, clear my cookies, open it from a private window, ect. and it still didn't work.

I feel like both issues are connected somehow. The errors both started on the same day (Friday). There could possibly be an overlap because I have 2FA on both accounts but I'm not sure. Both have been escalated to the higher uppers by Afternic and GoDaddy support.

The weird thing is yesterday afternoon, I got into my Afternic account once. When it worked, I immediately tried my GD account right after that and I got the 2FA code and I got in. Everything looked fine. After my login timed out for each account, both reverted back to the same issues. Same error message for Afternic. No code and blank pink error message for GD. Weird..

Attachments

• IMG-1133.jpg
    IMG-1133.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 40
•••
@WillW

One thing I noticed fairly recently is that when I log-in to Godaddy on my laptop, I have to use my "assigned" numeric Godaddy ID, whereas on mobile I log in using my member name. Has anyone else had this happen?

This was never the case previously, since about forever.

Last edited:
•••
@WillW

One thing I noticed fairly recently is that when I log-in to Godaddy on my laptop, I have to use my "assigned" numeric Godaddy ID, whereas on mobile I log in using my member name. Has anyone else had this happen?

The only issue I'm having with mobile is not seeing any leads in the Lead Center on Afternic. The number of rows shows up, but I can't see anything listed under any of the columns, even if I turn the phone sideways. I have to use a desktop computer to see any info.

Last edited:
•••
I read all this topic and need to say after so many years afternic finally made official topic ! congratz one good move. But when I start read people suffer with main options and tools, becouse everywhere is a bug. Maybe they do something and there are some other problems maybe it's to hard to repair erorrs from few years (where support completly don't care). But i see it now that GD want push forward afternic and integrate all services that could be good if You started year before with official thread and repair all of main problems. And now we have problem with more than 1 platform becouse of integrations.

In few days You will close uniregistry which in my opinion was 10 times better than afternic and have more funtionality and at least 80% less problems. So people have 2 option go somewhere else or try using sh... afternic with many errors.

Even parking on afternic have so many problems: 1. blank pages
2. redirection to sale page (who mixing dns ?)
3.problems with just start monetization.

It looks like afternic has only students as support or tell how it is possible to do so many mistakes ? Noone control changes? There is no points back, no information on site about problems...
I preffer read information about turn off afternic for 1 day or idk 2hours/3hours to repair problems than waiting years and nothing changes.

And about Godaddy one very bad thing is support is only via phone... Can You tell me how to send screenshoot via phonecall ? Yes i know there is sometimes chat option but on chat they redirect me with problem to phone becouse "they have more power than chat support". Wow no ticketing, no email adress to get help. Good luck with your problems.

Sorry for so long post but it's so frustrating using so bad service.

•••
It's been 3 days, can't sign in to the account. Emailed but no response.
Hi! Please can you email your customer ID to [email protected]? We'll take a look.

Create a page like DreamHostStatus.com for Afternic. Whenever there is an issue, we know you're already aware of it.
You can monitor the status of GoDaddy products via https://status.godaddy.com. Afternic is listed under domain services.

I had a previous sale on afternic for $4000 last year and I listed another domain last August. But I think someone has bought the domain and I cannot find the domain on my account. I didn't receive any email from afternic regarding this sale and also now I cannot log into my afternic account. When I try to login it redirects me back to the login page.

Have a look at this and let me know what has happened. We as customers list domains on afternic because of the trust we have. But it seems like you don't care about us. Now I have lost my domain and as well as my money.

Let me know what has happened here asap
Please email your Afternic ID and the domain name to [email protected] and we'll investigate.

I finally got through to Afternic support and they don't know why I'm getting this error message and why I haven't been able to log in for the last 5-6 days. They told me no one else has reported it so far and they have to escalate it to the dev team, like GoDaddy support also told me when I talked to them on Sunday about not being able to access my GD account. Currently, I can't get into either my Afternic or my GD account.
@WillW, we've responded to your DM, thanks.

The only issue I'm having with mobile is not seeing any leads in the Lead Center on Afternic. The number of rows shows up, but I can't see anything listed under any of the columns, even if I turn the phone sideways. I have to use a desktop computer to see any info.
A mobile version of the lead center beta is on the roadmap. Thank you for the feedback.

•••
You can monitor the status of GoDaddy products via https://status.godaddy.com. Afternic is listed under domain services.
The recent issues with Afternic (there were several) are not listed under Past Incidents on that page, so what exactly are you measuring with regard to Afternic? These incidents lasted a couple of days.

•••

I use a laptop too and it's never been that way for me....I can still login with my username/email.
I'm on a MacBook though.

•••
Please solve ns1/ns2 redirect issue...we are losing ads revenue

Last edited:
•••
When you turn your phone sideways do you refresh the page ?

•••
•••
Afternic,

If domains are listed on both the Afternic FT and the Sedo MLS premium at the same time, is there a mechanism in place for Afternic to double check for the immediate availability of the domain prior to the sale?

There are compelling reasons for being able to use both networks at the same time, with the BIN. As long as there is an immediate check with the registrar, to confirm availability prior to the purchase, that would eliminate presumably any problems with the dual listings.

Do you have that double check in place? For NP members especially, it would be great to avail ourselves of two extensive marketplaces. And it would be great to do so, without having to worry about the rare situation of two buyers attempting to purchase the same domain on the separate networks, in close proximity timewise.

Last edited:
•••
Sounds like you are trying to front-run someone else’s names….

•••
Sounds like you are trying to front-run someone else’s names….
No, not at all. Actually, I was so frustrated with the fake listings issue that I removed all my domains from the Afternic and Dan network. Currently, they are only on Sedo MLS. However, I was satisfied recently with an unexpected GD broker transaction. He contacted me them about a buyer that had enlisted their services. The transaction went very smoothly and efficiently, with a prompt payment.

So, I was revisiting listing on both Afternic as well as the SedoMLS networks.

Ironically, today, I did receive a notice asking for approval of a Fast Transfer request on Afternic---despite my not having any of my domains listed. Again, sadly, two domains were posted by likely domain "front runner(s)." This is increasing my hesitancy to use their network, but I'd still like to know my options.

Preventing "domain front running" is not a reason, in my opinion, to list domains on their network. However, if they have domain brokers as good as the one I recently dealt with helping with the sales, I am more open to reconsidering listing there.

•••
Some scammer is listing my domains, one by one, slowly, on Afternic. I have my domains listed at DAN right now and I do intend to list them at Afternic, too, but have not got around to figuring which ones I want to do via the integration.

This is a major security hole if you ask me. How someone can list a domain they do not own AND if the buyer accepts the $100 min offer (which I am sure they will), for the miniscule amount of work they did, then what is stopping them from listing even the domains which I do not intend to ever sell? These domains might be used for email only, for hosting at a company - running a business, etc. This is a huge flaw and it has to be corrected.

I have seen others complain about this for a long time and I really can not believe something this serious has not received any fix.

Is there any intention to correct this, if so when, if not then why not and how do we protect ourselves from some scam artist listing our names, selling our names from under our noses and pocketing whatever minimum offer they have set? In 2023 how can this be occuring still!!??

•••
Some scammer is listing my domains, one by one, slowly, on Afternic. I have my domains listed at DAN right now and I do intend to list them at Afternic, too, but have not got around to figuring which ones I want to do via the integration.

This is a major security hole if you ask me. How someone can list a domain they do not own AND if the buyer accepts the $100 min offer (which I am sure they will), for the miniscule amount of work they did, then what is stopping them from listing even the domains which I do not intend to ever sell? These domains might be used for email only, for hosting at a company - running a business, etc. This is a huge flaw and it has to be corrected.

I have seen others complain about this for a long time and I really can not believe something this serious has not received any fix.
Yes, this is very puzzling, why the fix for this security hole has yet to happen.

Last week, the issue sadly appeared to be that Fake Dan listings are being integrated into Afternic as well. I had no domains listed with either DAN or Afternic. There were four domains of mine that showed up on DAN for $299, and the same price also showed up on Afternic as well.

I asked Dan and Afternic to remove the listings. There was a quicker response from DAN this time, removing them within a day. And apparently, by their actions, that also removed them from Afternic. When Afternic responded, they could not even see the domains. So, the fake listings are apparently able to be propagated to Afternic by DAN integration.

Sadly, I had also asked DAN to seriously consider removing the rogue seller. Their response was not reassuring, as they said they would investigate that further. And, the truth is, that without establishing strong verification procedures, both platforms will likely continue having this problem. Removing an individual seller never appears to be an effective solution ultimately.

It's sad, because I truly believe that Afternic is the best platform for domain sales at this point. If the DAN integration is only going to make the problem worse, then Afternic needs to act now. Please fix this recurrent, pervasive security flaw immediately.

Last edited:
•••
Yes, this is very puzzling, why the fix for this security hole has yet to happen.

Last week, the issue sadly appeared to be that Fake Dan listings are being integrated into Afternic as well. I had no domains listed with either DAN or Afternic. There were four domains of mine that showed up on DAN for $299, and the same price also showed up on Afternic as well.

I asked Dan and Afternic to remove the listings. There was a quicker response from DAN this time, removing them within a day. And apparently, by their actions, that also removed them from Afternic. When Afternic responded, they could not even see the domains. So, the fake listings are apparently able to be propagated to Afternic by DAN integration.

Sadly, I had also asked DAN to seriously consider removing the rogue seller. Their response was not reassuring, as they said they would investigate that further. And, the truth is, that without establishing strong verification procedures, both platforms will likely continue having this problem. Removing an individual seller never appears to be an effective solution ultimately.

It's sad, because I truly believe that Afternic is the best platform for domain sales at this point. If the DAN integration is only going to make the problem worse, then they really hopefully do need to fix it immediately.

It is sad. I dont have many domains and I cant imagine those who have to keep track of thousands and more domains! Do these scammers just list any domain they feel like it, sell it for whatever they can get for it, then take the money and run leaving the rightful domain owner having to recover a stolen (essentially) domain AND a new domain owner unwittingly without a new domain? OR perhaps the new owner is in on scam with the fake seller who listed the domain(s)?

It has to be the most simple thing to stop and yet this continues in 2023.

•••
Another day, another Afternic outage.

Not detected by the GoDaddy monitoring system.

www.afternic.com.png

1680394122187.png

Last edited:
•••
Another day, another Afternic outage.

Not detected by the GoDaddy monitoring system.

I've been away from this for a while. Seems to be a lot going wrong at Afternic, same problems many years now. I wish it werent this difficult to get names listed and feel safe listing them OR NOT listing them. Ugh.

Last edited:
•••
It is sad. I dont have many domains and I cant imagine those who have to keep track of thousands and more domains! Do these scammers just list any domain they feel like it, sell it for whatever they can get for it, then take the money and run leaving the rightful domain owner having to recover a stolen (essentially) domain AND a new domain owner unwittingly without a new domain? OR perhaps the new owner is in on scam with the fake seller who listed the domain(s)?

It has to be the most simple thing to stop and yet this continues in 2023.
The sad part of this was that Namecheap had emailed me with the Fast Transfer request for approval for these fake listings. So, it appears that the security flaw is propagated at multiple levels.

Note that one positive note is that since I moved a large portion of my domains to Dynadot, I have not received any such fraudulent FT requests AND have not had any fake listings of domains held there. Has anyone noticed this pattern as well? Perhaps a vulnerability exists at certain registrars, making the Afternic FT fake listings more attractive to the fraudsters there?

Last edited:
•••
Correct me if I am wrong but since it appears that anyone, anywhere can fraudulently list any of our domains for sale at Afternic (perhaps other marketplaces too - I am going to check on it) then it would behoove us all to list ALL of our domain names for sale even if we do not wish to sell some of the domains. We may be holding some for clients, family, using some for email only.

Yet it seems as if we need to list them all otherwise we risk a potential scammer listing them, accepting a low minimum offer, the domain "fast transfers" to the new owner (who may or may not be involved in the racket) and the rightful domain owner loses their domain and gets zero from the sale.

Do I assume correctly? If so this is a complete security nightmare which should be a no-brainer to correct.

If I am incorrect then I have no issue learning why.

Last edited:
•••
The sad part of this was that Namecheap had emailed me with the Fast Transfer request for approval for these fake listings. So, it appears that the security flaw is propagated at multiple levels.

Note that one positive note is that since I moved a large portion of my domains to Dynadot, I have not received any such fraudulent FT requests AND have not had any fake listings of domains held there. Has anyone noticed this pattern as well? Perhaps a vulnerability exists at certain registrars, making the Afternic FT fake listings more attractive to the fraudsters there?

That is exactly how I found out. Dynadot emailed me at 4 AM and asked me to "accept or ignore" 17 domains which were fraudulently added to Afternic. And there is one other which wasnt on that list I found PLUS 3 of about a dozen that remain at Epik which I am going to allow to expire. 21 in total.

However, even if I am going to allow them to expire isnt it my prerogative to sell them on a marketplace?

So right now I am adding my names to Afternic, manually, in order to thwart any further attempts at someone else listing them without authorization..

I tried but I cant do it via DAN's integration because all of my domains received a "Listing failure" after about 30 minutes of trying. So that doesnt work at all. Which is curious.

This all has me quite concerned. Afternic support is not responding. Dynadot did and said to ignore the request for approval at afternic but somehow I do not like that advice.

UPDATE: many of the domains which say "listing failure" can not be added to Afternic even manually now. They still show listing failure at DAN but at Afternic trying to add it says its already listed. When I look at the Afternic direct URL to the listing it appears to be my pricing/listing but I cant see the domain in my Afternic account. So I have no idea what is going on at this point.

Last edited:
•••
That is exactly how I found out. Dynadot emailed me at 4 AM and asked me to "accept or ignore" 17 domains which were fraudulently added to Afternic. And there is one other which wasnt on that list I found PLUS 3 of about a dozen that remain at Epik which I am going to allow to expire. 21 in total.
So you are saying that Dynadot was asking you to approve Afternic Fast transfer for the fraudulent domain listings? If so, the problem is not specific only to Namecheap domains. That's even more unsettling.

I tried but I cant do it via DAN's integration because all of my domains received a "Listing failure" after about 30 minutes of trying. So that doesnt work at all. Which is curious.
Well it appears that sometimes the fake listings are placed directly through Afternic. In my most recent experience, the fraudster(s) appeared to be propagating the listings through Dan integration--in which case you could not load your real domain to either marketplace.
This all has me quite concerned. Afternic support is not responding. Dynadot did and said to ignore the request for approval at afternic but somehow I do not like that advice.
The response from the registrar is usually a reassurance that the domain would not be able to be transferred anyhow with their security. Well, if so, why are these fake FT requests being sent repeatedly? The fraudsters presumably wouldn't be doing it if they weren't able to succed at least sometimes.

•••
So you are saying that Dynadot was asking you to approve Afternic Fast transfer for the fraudulent domain listings? If so, the problem is not specific only to Namecheap domains. That's even more unsettling.

Well it appears that sometimes the fake listings are placed directly through Afternic. In my most recent experience, the fraudster(s) appeared to be propagating the listings through Dan integration--in which case you could not load your real domain to either marketplace.

The response from the registrar is usually a reassurance that the domain would not be able to be transferred anyhow with their security. Well, if so, why are these fake FT requests being sent repeatedly? The fraudsters presumably wouldn't be doing it if they weren't able to succed at least sometimes.

I received an email around 4 AM my time. I didnt investigate it until 12 hours later and have been dealing with this since - about 6 hours now. Trying to figure out what is what.

For your second point, I have all of my domains listed at DAN regardless of whether I really want to sell them or not. The ones that I don't wish to sell are so astronomically priced that they'll be looked over. If they sell, hey - lottery time. ;)

I just didn't get around to turning that Afternic integration on at DAN and then this happened. If I turned that on two days ago I suspect I wouldn't be writing all of this now.

The integration with all of this doesn't seem very stable or tested thoroughly.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back