Afternic - Official Thread

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

GoDaddy

Established Member
GoDaddy Staff
Impact
Hello NamePros!
By popular demand, we have launched a dedicated feedback thread for Afternic, the GoDaddy-owned domain name marketplace.

We have created this thread as a way for you to tell us what works, what doesn't work, and what features you'd like to see at Afternic (please be constructive with your feedback). We're looking forward to hearing from the domain investment community to help us shape the future of Afternic.

We will also be sharing Afternic product updates in this thread.

Please note that this thread is not meant for support. Please email our support team at [email protected] for assistance.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
UPDATE onn my case: GoDaddy removed the domain listing from the fraudster's listing and sent me an email. Now, I have those names in my AfterNic listing.
Thank You GoDaddy!

•••
UPDATE onn my case: GoDaddy removed the domain listing from the fraudster's listing and sent me an email. Now, I have those names in my AfterNic listing.
Thank You GoDaddy!
That's great news.

The challenge will be keeping them from relisting anyhow.

On Dan, there was a seller account with over 400K domains which had the fraudulent listings. Supposedly, this seller was banned after fake listings were removed. Unfortunately, the same problem happened again, with fake listings from a group of smaller accounts. So removing one fraudulent seller at a time doesn't seem to solve the problem.

So, until verification is mandated, continued vigilance may be necessary.

And, your case exemplifies that the GD brokerage might benefit by verifying the listing before starting to negotiating offers. This would be both for the sake of their reputation and effectiveness.

So, Afternic, are steps being made to prevent the brokers from acting as agents negotiating for these fraudulent sellers?

Last edited:
•••
8. I also tried to offer 20 USD for my own domain (through Afternic) .. then the system made me aware of the username of the perpetrator. It is __________. This person took good time to decline my offer and raise the amount to 1000USD per each domain. Where are ethics and religious belief these days on this planet earth? An ethical human being would not do such deeds.

Why protect the username of a fraudster? Why not display it so it can be pointed out when someone else gets scammed by the same usename , since godaddy never suspends frontrunners

•••
Why protect the username of a fraudster? Why not display it so it can be pointed out when someone else gets scammed by the same usename , since godaddy never suspends frontrunners
I agree. For the fraudsters on DAN, it was helpful to see the actual account names of the alleged perps posted on NamePros. For me, that helped lead to additional discoveries of fake listings.

Last edited:
•••
So, Afternic, are steps being made to prevent the brokers from acting as agents negotiating for these fraudulent sellers?
Point to be considered by Afternic. Such a big tech can easily add system of putting TXT record for ownership verification and then listing.

•••
Point to be considered by Afternic. Such a big tech can easily add system of putting TXT record for ownership verification and then listing.
Totally agree. It's out of control. I have names on BrandBucket and SquadHelp (and not listed on Afternic), and I'm constantly getting Fast Transfer confirmation requests because some jerk lists them on Afternic. I shudder to think what would happen if I accidentally confirmed one - would Afternic let someone else sell my name and then steal it from me?

I like the method DAN has where you add a third nameserver with a custom name to verify ownership. That way I don't have to change the NS back to the registrars just to do the TXT record verification before setting them back to DAN.

Last edited:
•••
@GoDaddy Did you find a solution for redirect issue on ns1/ns2 parked domain names ? it seems all extensions are effected except domains with .xyz extension

•••
Last edited:
•••
Each basket had 6000 names. All were listed at Afternic fast transfer.

Dan lost handily.

Btw, prior to experiment, I had my names with Dan landers for 5 months because so many people were saying that Dan is doing fine, especially factoring in 9%, plus I was getting stats that AN fails to provide. In those 5 months, my sales went down and I probably lost around $60k and that actually prompted me to do my own test.
I am sorry if I missed this information, and thank you for the results of your experiment @Recons.Com , but was the experiment done prior to GD acquisition of Dan and the 'A GoDaddy Brand' on the domain landers at Dan? There is anecdotal evidence of an uptick at Dan in months after that.

I suspect that the type of name, and in particular the geographic concentration of the potential buyers, would matter as well (US based buyers probably prefer GD/Afternic versus Dan/GD is my guess, but might not hold for European and not sure about Asia, etc.

Interesting that NS3/4 was somewhat more lucrative than NS5/6.

-Bob

•••
I am sorry if I missed this information, and thank you for the results of your experiment @Recons.Com , but was the experiment done prior to GD acquisition of Dan and the 'A GoDaddy Brand' on the domain landers at Dan? There is anecdotal evidence of an uptick at Dan in months after that.

I suspect that the type of name, and in particular the geographic concentration of the potential buyers, would matter as well (US based buyers probably prefer GD/Afternic versus Dan/GD is my guess, but might not hold for European and not sure about Asia, etc.

Interesting that NS3/4 was somewhat more lucrative than NS5/6.

-Bob

Yes, it was done prior to acquisition and logo.

I believe logo might have helped a little but not enough. I still use Dan for new names just to get stats and nothing outstanding has been noticed.

Ns3 being better than ns5 is counter intuitive, but it is what it is and their brokerage team is doing a good job converting.

•••
Ns3 being better than ns5 is counter intuitive, but it is what it is and their brokerage team is doing a good job converting.

It is somewhat counter intuitive, but I'm finding the same even for low priced names.

With the new lead center feature you can see that with a lot of sales there are several points of contact. I'd say it's 20+% of my sales so far that buy only after at least one follow-up and often there's a phone call involved. I don't think those sales happen without the broker (and thus, using NS3/4).

So I agree with you - it's the brokerage team. 👍

Last edited:
•••
I use ns5.afternic.com and ns6.afternic.com for most of my names. When I go to the lander, it looks correct with the BIN I have set. But if I use a service like geopeeker.com to see what the lander looks like in other countries, all the landers say "xxxx.com may be for sale".

Does anyone know if this is because GoDaddy knows GeoPeeker is a bot, or is it really possible that my BIN names will not show with a BIN in e.g. the US?

Last edited:
•••
I use ns5.afternic.com and ns6.afternic.com for most of my names. When I go to the lander, it looks correct with the BIN I have set. But if I use a service like geopeeker.com to see what the lander looks like in other countries, all the landers say "xxxx.com may be for sale".

Does anyone know if this is because GoDaddy knows GeoPeeker is a bot, or is it really possible that my BIN names will not show with a BIN in e.g. the US?
I'm in Australia. If you want to PM me a couple of domains I can let you know how they display for me...
Cheers.

Edit - yep, that domain is displaying fine for me (with the BIN).

Last edited:
•••
I'm in Australia. If you want to PM me a couple of domains I can let you know how they display for me...
Cheers.

Edit - yep, that domain is displaying fine for me (with the BIN).
Yes, thanks for your help. Everything looks fine, so it must be because Afternic/GoDaddy knows that a service like GeoPeeker is "spam".

•••
@GoDaddy Did you find a solution for redirect issue on ns1/ns2 parked domain names ? it seems all extensions are effected except domains with .xyz extension
I have check my domains and have same problem with my .com extension and sometimes .xyz too.

•••
Hi,

Please help me, I can not accept the domain names from other account, 128 domains.
What should I do for this? any after-sales service e-mail?
Tnx

•••
Is anybody having trouble logging in to Afternic? I'm trying to login but keep getting prompted to "Create Account Profile".

•••
Is anybody having trouble logging in to Afternic? I'm trying to login but keep getting prompted to "Create Account Profile".
Me too. Wants me to complete my Account Profile. When I click Save, I get an error message.

Last edited:
•••
Too, I was going to report this here

•••
Last edited:
•••

Yes, and I called Afternic support. Its a known/ongoing issue affecting a large subset of accounts (but not all) and they hope to have it resolved in the next few hours.

Last edited:
•••
Looks like that has been resolved

•••
Thanks for tagging us. There was a brief outage earlier today, but all systems are fully functional again.

•••
Thanks for tagging us. There was a brief outage earlier today, but all systems are fully functional again.
Dear Sir,
Please resolve NS1/NS2 issues too..I mean redirecting to sales pages instead of showing ads to users.

•••
Dear Sir,
Please resolve NS1/NS2 issues too..I mean redirecting to sales pages instead of showing ads to users.
I still waiting for a response in this case too for my domainer friends.

•••
Back