Afternic - Official Thread

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

GoDaddy

Established Member
GoDaddy Staff
Impact
Hello NamePros!
By popular demand, we have launched a dedicated feedback thread for Afternic, the GoDaddy-owned domain name marketplace.

We have created this thread as a way for you to tell us what works, what doesn't work, and what features you'd like to see at Afternic (please be constructive with your feedback). We're looking forward to hearing from the domain investment community to help us shape the future of Afternic.

We will also be sharing Afternic product updates in this thread.

Please note that this thread is not meant for support. Please email our support team at [email protected] for assistance.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
UPDATE: After many emails, I finally got a detailed email from what I assume is a senior tech. No response prior seemed to understand that I never signed up with afternic directly...finally a email came that explained that, on afternics end, an account was created when I first logged in through godaddy long ago.

I was told how to retrieve my afternic account information...information I did not know existed since I never 'joined' afternic.

So by going through all the retrieval steps as if I had signed up directly, I was able to learn my afternic 'name' and was eventually able to get a new password. Log is was finally achieved. Stress levels decreasing!

Thanks to @James Iles for his assistance. I'm disappointed @GoDaddy did not respond to me in this thread. James has kept me from having a bad taste by reaching out to me.

Last edited:
•••
Yes, payee selection is still a functionality that Afternic offers, and it appears this should have been an option for you. We've asked our Afternic engineers to investigate this
Any news on this? I am still unable to select payees for not-yet-scheduled payouts.
Losing existing and useful functionality is unacceptable.

It may well be that GoDaddy, being a US company, does not realize how important this feature is for non-US sellers. So, a few generic tips:

1) Paypal. They earn (and a lot) on currency exchange. It is too expensive to receive 100% payouts to paypal outside US, as withdrawals are costly (currency exchange from USD to local currency @ extremely unfriendly rate, and potentially changing local currency back to USD should the seller need to spend USD later). SImilarly, it is expensive to fund USD paypal wallet from outside US - there would be currency exchange and/or foreign purchase fee applied by the sellers bank or CC company. Accordingly, the most practical way to fund USD paypal wallet is via receiving _occasional_ masspayments (no fees) in USD. With an opportunity to select paypal payee @ afternic, all was fine, and I could receive $$$ into my paypal wallet as needed [this included routing small sales to paypal, which is logical]. Now I can't. And, as shown above, I cannot and would not switch all payouts to paypal by selecting it as default afternic payment method.
In other words, thanks to GoDaddy, I'm now losing money as I need to pay more $$$ for routine fund movements.

2) Different banks have different _receiving_ wire fees, which depends on the amount, currency, correspondent bank and currency exchange rates. Afternic itself offers an opportunity to select payout currency for most countries. Accordingly, it is logical to expect that the sellers may need to maintain different bank accounts for different sales/currencies etc, selecting payee as needed [= chaning default payee for some sales]. Even GoDaddy itself is doing this! During purchase time @ godaddy .com, sometimes it says "your CC will be billed by GoDaddy US", and sometimes it says "... by GoDaddy Europe". I do not care why. No issues. Your know how to do your accounting. Sellers know how to operate theirs. But, after the recent afternic upgrade (or bug), it is impossible to perform a routine task of selecting the payee for a sale!

Last edited:
•••
Hi @411domains, that's a recent test feature that our team rolled out. You'll notice that we have a phone number listed on the Buy Now landers for potential buyers that need more information before purchasing the domain. This chat provides an alternative for customers who are more comfortable typing than phoning, so that they can connect with Afternic's team to get questions answered. We will definitely make the team aware of your feedback, though.

Hi @Traderas,
In this case, it looks like you had a buyer that submitted 2 offers in quick succession. In this unusual scenario, the first offer gets logged, which is what your broker would be able to see in their system. Both offers, including the $50 offer, are sent to you, too. You should have received an email notification for this offer. If you didn't, we'd recommend checking your email settings at Afternic as well as your inbox's junk folder.

This is a fringe case, but we'll ask the Afternic team to look into amending the system to handle that scenario.

Hi @FredMercaldo,
Afternic and Dan run on two different infrastructures, but we’re working on the relationship and interaction between them, which started with the auto-opt-in of BIN listings at Dan to Afternic.

As support might have told you, the fastest way to currently remove listings from Afternic is with ownership verification: https://www.godaddy.com/garage/afternic-landing-page-selection-ownership-verification/ which can be completed in a minute or two.

Hi @cabotower, when a name is listed first at Afternic with a Dan.com Lander (available through the Lander Selection column at Afternic), then your domain would be listed for sale through Afternic.

If your domain was listed first at Dan.com with a BIN price, it would be distributed through the Afternic network
@GoDaddy. Thanks for your reply, however as the owner of all 3 platforms now, again, there should be a system in place that once a GoDaddy auction sells a name to a new buyer/owner, you automatically delete any present listings at Dan or Afternic, which would eliminate the need for all of this needless customer service and communications. Can you imagine the credibility issue if someone would have acquired the name in question at $2,099 and I would have rejected the sale? I can understand jumping through a hoop if the name is registered somewhere else; but why should I have to prove to Afternic by adding a DNS record when simply, my Whois information shows my ownership that you can ascertain in seconds, not minutes?

•••
I've been troubleshooting an issue since Friday and since I'm stuck waiting for the Afternic team to return on Monday so that we may resume troubleshooting on their end, I thought I'd see if anyone else was affected.

Has anyone else noticed Fast Transfer sync issues on newly eligible domains since DAN forced the auto opt-in on all accounts?

Just curious, let me know.

•••
Sold a domain on Afternic (fast transfer) on 8/12.

In the email it said "we will send you an email within 7-10 days regarding your payment..."

On 8/14 I received an email saying the transfer was complete.

Payout date is scheduled as 8/17.

I am not sure about others, but I have noticed faster payments lately.

Brad

•••

In the email it said "we will send you an email within 7-10 days regarding your payment..."

Brad

Thanks for your feedback, @bmugford! That's great to see. We will be updating the emails this year. Stay tuned.

•••

Brad

Same here.

•••
I've been waiting for a small payment (~ $150) since 3 months.

That's all the joke.

•••
Question for @GoDaddy /Afternic in reference to DAN landers via Afternic.

During a lander test, I discovered a potential privacy issue for sellers.

All domains utilizing DAN landers in each Afternic portfolio are exposed, searchable and shareable via the DAN "Domain Seller's Domain Shop" that is generated for each specific Afternic account.

All one needs to do is search the domain on DAN, click on "Domain Seller" and voila! There's everything in that portfolio using a DAN lander.

For the sake of those interested in utilizing the DAN landers at Afternic, but prefer privacy and do not wish to have their portfolios publicly displayed for all to see and share, would it be possible to disable access to the Domain Shop that's created when DAN landers are selected?

Much like our Privacy settings at Afternic, we have this option at DAN as well. (See "Promote your Domain Store" below.)

Edit: Note: If you just changed to DAN landers and you're trying to duplicate this, it takes approximately 15-20 minutes for the domains to begin showing up in the DAN search results. (Give or take a few minutes)

DANAFT - Copy.PNG

Last edited:
•••
I am again seeing delays in price updates - I have new prices in my Aftenic account for some domains but these are not reflected on GoDaddy or any other Afternic partner.

Plus, when I updated the price of a .xyz domain, said domain just... disappeared from my account :ROFL: Though I can still see it in Classic Afternic.

•••
@GoDaddy When I click on the Buy Now button on an Afternic BIN Lander, I get the following error, over and over again. Only in a few cases does the domain end up in the cart successfully.

A submission error occurred

Please try refreshing the page or return in a few minutes.

I'm seeing this error in Firefox latest, with all extensions disabled for testing purposes. It's an intermittent problem. Not able to reproduce this in Chrome.

Please investigate and fix this, thank you.

Last edited:
•••
I'm posting to acknowledge that domain sales on Afternic are moving much faster from domain transfer to funds transfer (to me ;) ). This is much more satisfying than waiting 7, 10, 12+ days to receive payment post-transfer. So, allow me to say "Yay!" and "Amen!" and thanks for fixing this.

Last edited:
•••
I just recently noticed that Afternic now has a full TLS implementation on customer domain landers. About 10-15 seconds after a first visit to the lander, a custom TLS certificate issued by "Go Daddy Secure Certificate Authority - G2" is created for each individual domain.

I want to congratulate the Afternic team on this milestone.

Now that full TLS has been implemented, I am ready to test the Afternic landers again.

I missed the announcement of this. Has there been any communication about it at all?

I'm still looking forward to getting a little more insight into the overall conversion data of DAN- and Afternic BIN landers respectively. Which are currently performing best?

Last edited:
•••
Although not directly linked to afternic, I need the following function for the godaddy domain portfolio page:

It would be great to be able to bulk update DNS records using existing DNS templates.

Frankly, it is very tiring and time-consuming to go to each domain name one by one and click on the same points over and over again when performing batch operations.

Also, the domain portfolio home page is too cumbersome for me. While scrolling the domain list, the page stutters. I guess it needs some optimization.

•••
Hello all, I would like to sell domain (register is porkbun) Does Afternic provide any way to get payout if I'm from Ukraine. On the page Manage payment details I can see only 3 payment methods Wire Transfer (huge form to fill in), Good as Gold (don't work anymore as I know) and Hold My Payments. Is there a simpler way to get money to PayPal or visa card. Or Could you advice an another marketplace that more eligible for my goal?

•••
Last edited:
•••
On the page "Manage payment details" I can see only 3 payment methods Wire Transfer, Good as Gold and Hold My Payments.

•••
On the page "Manage payment details" I can see only 3 payment methods Wire Transfer, Good as Gold and Hold My Payments.
under 'domain sale payments from afternic' is there an option to add a new payee? if there is you can try to setup paypal.

•••
Question for @GoDaddy /Afternic in reference to DAN landers via Afternic.

During a lander test, I discovered a potential privacy issue for sellers.

All domains utilizing DAN landers in each Afternic portfolio are exposed, searchable and shareable via the DAN "Domain Seller's Domain Shop" that is generated for each specific Afternic account.

All one needs to do is search the domain on DAN, click on "Domain Seller" and voila! There's everything in that portfolio using a DAN lander.

For the sake of those interested in utilizing the DAN landers at Afternic, but prefer privacy and do not wish to have their portfolios publicly displayed for all to see and share, would it be possible to disable access to the Domain Shop that's created when DAN landers are selected?

Much like our Privacy settings at Afternic, we have this option at DAN as well. (See "Promote your Domain Store" below.)

Edit: Note: If you just changed to DAN landers and you're trying to duplicate this, it takes approximately 15-20 minutes for the domains to begin showing up in the DAN search results. (Give or take a few minutes)

Show attachment 244725
Hi @411domains,
We've tested this out today, and it brings us to this page. Can you send us a DM with what you're seeing?

dan-search.png

I am again seeing delays in price updates - I have new prices in my Aftenic account for some domains but these are not reflected on GoDaddy or any other Afternic partner.

Plus, when I updated the price of a .xyz domain, said domain just... disappeared from my account :ROFL: Though I can still see it in Classic Afternic.
Hi @Rhinnnn,
Sorry to hear that. We will ask our engineers to look at this possible sync issue. Thank you for reporting this.

@GoDaddy When I click on the Buy Now button on an Afternic BIN Lander, I get the following error, over and over again. Only in a few cases does the domain end up in the cart successfully.

A submission error occurred

Please try refreshing the page or return in a few minutes.

I'm seeing this error in Firefox latest, with all extensions disabled for testing purposes. It's an intermittent problem. Not able to reproduce this in Chrome.

Please investigate and fix this, thank you.
Hi @Future Sensors,
We tried to replicate this, but we couldn't. It's something we'll look out for and we will alert our team.

Hi @user128,
If you aren't able to see a PayPal option, we'd recommend contacting the Afternic customer service team: https://www.afternic.com/contact-afternic

•••
Any news on this? I am still unable to select payees for not-yet-scheduled payouts.
Losing existing and useful functionality is unacceptable.
Hi @tonyk2000
This has been fixed, and the option is available again. We're sorry it took a little longer than expected, thanks for your patience.

•••

That's response Afternic Support. Also I'm from Ukraine.
"Thank you for contacting Afternic Support.
We understand that you would like to know the available payment methods to you.

If you do not see a payee type in the drop-down (PayPal, Check, etc.) that means the payment method is not supported in your country. Please note: Good as Gold is no longer available as an option."

•••
@GoDaddy

Hey guys, what's up with never ending ''pending'' status on some of the names? Can't you just throw them one side or another, so we don't contemplate pending names till the end of the eternity?

Another thing - would be nice to come up with some sort of filter to be able to copy-paste names in bulk and call them out in the system for repricing or deleting purposes in bulk - not one by one).

Thanks!!

•••
@GoDaddy

i found some domains that are not visible in my account

I know they are in my account because if I try to add them they appear as "in my account" but I don't see them by using the search box

Any known reason for this?

Also, another question:

After a price update, how much time does the propagation take? ( Both, on Afternic and resellers )

Thanks

•••
@GoDaddy

i found some domains that are not visible in my account

I know they are in my account because if I try to add them they appear as "in my account" but I don't see them by using the search box

Any known reason for this?

Also, another question:

After a price update, how much time does the propagation take? ( Both, on Afternic and resellers )

Thanks
I had the same issue, they will appear shortly. Patience.

Last edited:
•••
I had the same issue, they will appear shortly. Patience.

Today I made some price updates. I wonder if that could be the reason

I'm patient but there could be a bug

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back