Afternic - Official Thread

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

GoDaddy

Established Member
GoDaddy Staff
Impact
Hello NamePros!
By popular demand, we have launched a dedicated feedback thread for Afternic, the GoDaddy-owned domain name marketplace.

We have created this thread as a way for you to tell us what works, what doesn't work, and what features you'd like to see at Afternic (please be constructive with your feedback). We're looking forward to hearing from the domain investment community to help us shape the future of Afternic.

We will also be sharing Afternic product updates in this thread.

Please note that this thread is not meant for support. Please email our support team at [email protected] for assistance.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Maybe a stupid question, but have you checked if it just sold and was fast-transferred from your account?

I appricate your question.

I just listed the domain name yesterday and verified it with the TXT record. Today I received an email that it was removed.

If there had been a sale, I would have gotten an email about it. Or at least I would see it on the dashboard.

•••
Afternic down for anyone else?

I either get a 500 error or a mostly-empty Afternic screen with an error message on it.

•••
•••
Why can't I verify the domain ownership in Afternic 2.0? Yes, I have added the required 3rd nameserver. I click on "verify domain" then I got this message: "domain ownership successfully verified, you can now add this domain to your account". I click on "close", then I keep getting the same error: "this domain already exist in a different account".

I have done this before, now it isn't working.

Ownership verification successful:

Show attachment 238173

And then after I click on the "close" button:

Show attachment 238174

I tried it a few times, but I get this same result always.

I'm experiencing the same issue right now.

I have successfully verified the same domain half a dozen times only to be taken back to "This domains already exists in a different account."

•••
I'm experiencing the same issue right now.

I have successfully verified the same domain half a dozen times only to be taken back to "This domains already exists in a different account."
I couldn't solve this issue, the support keeps saying that I need to add the TXT record or the 3rd nameserver. I tried both but it isn't working. I know how to do it, in case of Dan it works. So in the end I couldn't list my domain at all on Afternic. Their system should be better. The 3rd nameserver was clearly there. I checked it with multiple different tools.

At least in Afternic 1.0 I could send them a screenshot to verify the ownership, now it's impossible to verify my ownership.

•••
Any plans to add support of .zip domains?

Last edited:
•••
•••
Last edited:
•••
It would be really helpful if the default sorting order for Lead Center could be changed to "from new to old". Having to see some ancient moss-covered leads every time and to scroll miles and miles down is tiresome. The newer leads are obviously more relevant to check.

•••
@capybara

You can click on the "Date Initiated" to order by date.

•••
•••
Thank you @GoDaddy / Afternic for fixing the upload issues in at least one version of Afternic and the sync issues with the partners.

Last edited:
•••
I couldn't solve this issue, the support keeps saying that I need to add the TXT record or the 3rd nameserver. I tried both but it isn't working. I know how to do it, in case of Dan it works. So in the end I couldn't list my domain at all on Afternic. Their system should be better. The 3rd nameserver was clearly there. I checked it with multiple different tools.

At least in Afternic 1.0 I could send them a screenshot to verify the ownership, now it's impossible to verify my ownership.

Update: thank you, it works now.

Try to verify the problematic domains again, it should work now.

•••
Although I specify ns3/4 or ns5/6 name servers for certain domains according to the price range, the system mostly automatically determines the landing page setting itself, which causes confusion and extra workload on my part.

Is it possible to add a "Default" option to the "Sale Lander" setting to prevent this?
Thus, the landing page should be selected according to the redirected name server as in the old fashioned way.

•••
I'll say this again, each time I delete a domain at Afternic, the system locks me out like I did something wrong. I usually have to wait 30 minutes to an hour before I am allowed to log back in.

And today I need to delete 3 auctions that sold last week. Oh boy, that should only take the rest of tonight.

This is insane.

Last edited:
•••
these days a new bug... Domains on networksolutions (and maybe on other registrars) with fast transfer enable cannot be sold.

•••
Manual sale [no fast transfer]. Received an usual email -

Congratulations, pending financial verification ... has sold through the Afternic network.
This is a courtesy notification. As the domain owner, you will receive a detailed email outlining the steps needed to transfer this domain to the buyer.

All good so far. Logged in to my afternic account and found that afternic is already expecting authcode! So, they failed to send the final email asking me to transfer the domain! What if I did not login...

Last edited:
•••
Long domain names are not displayed correctly on desktop view. Can you solve the bug? Show attachment 238308
Could you email the domain to [email protected]? We'll pass this on to our landing page team.

As Dan is quickly going downhill I am thinking of trying out the Afternic landers, but I wanted to confirm something:

When using the "Request Price" lander (which does not include a minimum price), do Afternic brokers harass you for any inquiry ($10-$20) or limit them to only those that meet or surpass your "Minimum Bid" on Afternic?
If a domain isn't priced and we get an inquiry through the Request Price landing page, we'll ask you for your price before negotiating. Our brokers will use your floor price to steer negotiations, so we'd always recommend including a floor price for your Afternic-listed domains.

@GoDaddy @James Iles

I want to report again that GoDaddy brokers are spamming me.

Stephen Mathias is the guy I'm assigned to.

I have asked him many times to stop sending me emails for no reason.

I have also asked him to report to his superiors that I would like to change the broker I'm assigned to.

I have asked him many things, but he is just ignoring me, and he keeps sending emails...

Show attachment 238506

He is also highly incapable.

Just now he sent me an email, asking if I'm interested in buying a domain that I already bought from you 3 months ago, which is still registered in my GoDaddy account...

He is spamming me about counteroffers of tens of thousands, for domains that I'm telling him that my budget is $200-$300.

He even sends follow-up emails for offers I made months ago, and the seller never replied.

Please make him stop.
The number of inquiries and offers you made meant that your interaction with brokers was high, but we'll let our sales team know to remove you from these. Thank you.

It would be really helpful if the default sorting order for Lead Center could be changed to "from new to old". Having to see some ancient moss-covered leads every time and to scroll miles and miles down is tiresome. The newer leads are obviously more relevant to check.
Thanks for the feedback. We'll let our team know.

Thank you @GoDaddy / Afternic for fixing the upload issues in at least one version of Afternic and the sync issues with the partners.
Thank you for your update!

Update: thank you, it works now.

Try to verify the problematic domains again, it should work now.
Thanks for confirming that this is working for you!

Although I specify ns3/4 or ns5/6 name servers for certain domains according to the price range, the system mostly automatically determines the landing page setting itself, which causes confusion and extra workload on my part.

Is it possible to add a "Default" option to the "Sale Lander" setting to prevent this?
Thus, the landing page should be selected according to the redirected name server as in the old fashioned way.
Landing page selection is now achieved via your Afternic portfolio page. By default, when you point a domain to ns1/2, ns3/4, or ns5/6, it resolves to a 'Request Price' landing page, which can be changed through your Afternic portfolio page.

We implemented this so that we could add more landing page options in the future.

I'll say this again, each time I delete a domain at Afternic, the system locks me out like I did something wrong. I usually have to wait 30 minutes to an hour before I am allowed to log back in.

And today I need to delete 3 auctions that sold last week. Oh boy, that should only take the rest of tonight.

This is insane.
Our team at [email protected] would be happy to assist you. If you have an account manager, please also contact them. Thank you for sharing your experience.

these days a new bug... Domains on networksolutions (and maybe on other registrars) with fast transfer enable cannot be sold.
Our team is already in contact with you about this. If you have any further issues with this, please contact your account manager, and they'll be happy to help.

Manual sale [no fast transfer]. Received an usual email -

Congratulations, pending financial verification ... has sold through the Afternic network.
This is a courtesy notification. As the domain owner, you will receive a detailed email outlining the steps needed to transfer this domain to the buyer.

All good so far. Logged in to my afternic account and found that afternic is already expecting authcode! So, they failed to send the final email asking me to transfer the domain! What if I did not login...
Please could you email the domain name to [email protected]? We'll pass this on to our email team to take a look at.

•••
What's up with .ai domains support @ Afternic and GoDaddy?

1. Even though .ai is a modern registry with EPP support, no fast transfer is available on Afternic. Sedo offers fast transfer for .ai, Afternic does not.

2. GoDaddy .ai pricing is not competitive. Likely because GD is reselling another registrar (1api.net) in this case?

3. GD appraisal tool is unaware that aftermarket .ai domains are saleable and that the prices are reasonably high. Most appraisal values shown by this tool are funny.

4. According to registry website ( http://whois.ai/registrars.html ):

The company Godaddy will say "domains with this extension are not transferable" when someone tries to transfer a ".ai" domain to them when a more correct error message would be "Godaddy does not know how to transfer .ai domains even though it is done using the industry standard EPP transfer command". They will also say, "Technically .ai domains are not transferable between most registrars, but we have a dedicated team that transfers them manually." This is so wrong. All other registrars have no trouble doing them automatically. The only technical failure is at Godaddy. Because of they way Godaddy is doing this, I get many people asking me, "Vince, why don't you let people transfer .ai domains?", as if I was doing something wrong and not Godaddy. I do let people transfer .ai domains. All of the above registrars can do it automatically without any trouble. Really.

Last edited:
•••
Is Afternic down?
I m trying to login and the login process restarts, over and over again

•••
Clicking the "Get This Domain" on a "Parked free, courtesy of GoDaddy.com" lander (domaincontrol nameservers) now produces the same error that we've seen earlier on DAN.com infrastructure:

upstream connect error or disconnect/reset before headers. reset reason: overflow

Last edited:
•••
at an how do you keep track of uniques-views-visits ? (not parking)

•••
How is it possible to disable Fast Transfers ?
Everytime I update prices using CSV, the Fast transfer is enabled, and I have to request to the support to unable it.

Currently fast transfer doesnt work with networksolutions and there are failures in sales...

•••
How is it possible to disable Fast Transfers ?
Everytime I update prices using CSV, the Fast transfer is enabled, and I have to request to the support to unable it.

Currently fast transfer doesnt work with networksolutions and there are failures in sales...

Why failures in sales with fast transfer?

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back