Afternic - Official Thread

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

GoDaddy

Established Member
GoDaddy Staff
Impact
Hello NamePros!
By popular demand, we have launched a dedicated feedback thread for Afternic, the GoDaddy-owned domain name marketplace.

We have created this thread as a way for you to tell us what works, what doesn't work, and what features you'd like to see at Afternic (please be constructive with your feedback). We're looking forward to hearing from the domain investment community to help us shape the future of Afternic.

We will also be sharing Afternic product updates in this thread.

Please note that this thread is not meant for support. Please email our support team at [email protected] for assistance.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
@James Iles Is there any ETA for landers with installment plans for names listed at Afternic? Joe Styler mentioned this feature in a recent Domain Name Wire podcast.

He said they would be Dan landers but with more GoDaddy branding than the current ones. Do you have more details?

•••
Has anyone else noticed a significant lag when it comes to price updates lately?

I updated a domain price several hours ago, my Afternic dashboard has the correct new price but it's still the old price that shows up when the domain is searched via Afternic's homepage or on GoDaddy.

Edit: Turns out this issue is affecting multiple domain price updates, at least in my case. I see the correct prices in my dashboard but old, not updated prices on GoDaddy and partner registrars.

Last edited:
•••
For security reasons, afternic should stop displaying "incorrect username" message IF incorrect username is entered into login field (no password typed yet, no submit clicked yet).

•••
For security reasons, afternic should stop displaying "incorrect username" message IF incorrect username is entered into login field (no password typed yet, no submit clicked yet).

pass.jpeg

•••
I was just looking at my portfolio and when I refreshed the page, I saw an option called "Leased Out" in the Portfolio menu. It was under All Domains and Add Domains. Never saw that before. It went away when I refreshed again but I'm assuming that means leasing options are in the works?

Also any chance you'll add the ability to change the appearance of the name (capitalization, lower case/uppercase)? It's not a huge deal but it's a nice option to have.

•••
Also any chance you'll add the ability to change the appearance of the name (capitalization, lower case/uppercase)? It's not a huge deal but it's a nice option to have.
Was thinking the same myself.

•••
@James Iles @GoDaddy

Hi,

I often encounter the issue of an "Access Denied" page when deleting expired domains on my account

Please fix this issue

Thanks
Can you email your Afternic ID to [email protected] and we'll be able to look into this.

Hi Afternic team,

it seems uniregistry customers are facing difficulties in merging.

1) domain listed, servers set to afternic (ns1,ns2), Afternic parking approved. But domains showing only blank page.

2) There is no domain showing in my afternic public profile also.

Have sent email to service(@)afternic.com few days ago and no response. Today sent to [email protected] also.

Can you look into this issue?
Thanks. Our team is working with you through email.

@James Iles Is there any ETA for landers with installment plans for names listed at Afternic? Joe Styler mentioned this feature in a recent Domain Name Wire podcast.

He said they would be Dan landers but with more GoDaddy branding than the current ones. Do you have more details?
We will be able to share more details of this later on this year. Lease to Own and custom landers are being worked on - we know these are popular requests from the community, so we're working hard to bring these features to market.

Has anyone else noticed a significant lag when it comes to price updates lately?

I updated a domain price several hours ago, my Afternic dashboard has the correct new price but it's still the old price that shows up when the domain is searched via Afternic's homepage or on GoDaddy.

Edit: Turns out this issue is affecting multiple domain price updates, at least in my case. I see the correct prices in my dashboard but old, not updated prices on GoDaddy and partner registrars.
Can you email your Afternic ID to [email protected] along with some examples of domains that aren't updating? We'll investigate this for you.

I was just looking at my portfolio and when I refreshed the page, I saw an option called "Leased Out" in the Portfolio menu. It was under All Domains and Add Domains. Never saw that before. It went away when I refreshed again but I'm assuming that means leasing options are in the works?

Thank you for your feedback. CamelCasing is currently being explored. We'll keep the community posted if this gets added to the roadmap.

•••
Can you email your Afternic ID to [email protected] along with some examples of domains that aren't updating? We'll investigate this for you.

Looks like things are back to normal today, price update propagation is almost instant now. Thanks for the reply anyway, I appreciate it!

•••
Looks like things are back to normal today, price update propagation is almost instant now. Thanks for the reply anyway, I appreciate it!
Thanks for the update! Email us on [email protected] if you have further propagation issues.

•••
I just noticed on Afrternic beta there is the "ON HOLD" page.
Apparently, it s for domains that a buyer is already in the process of buying, but hasn't paid yet.

Ok, that's a useful addition, but you should notify the seller when a domain enters in this state.

Just 2 weeks ago, I made a bin sale in DAN and I couldn't transfer them the domain, because Afternic had put it in "on hold" state in my registrar (SAV), through Afternic's fast transfer!
3 days after I sold it in DAN, they emailed me from Afternic that the domain was sold in their network...
After some days I managed to resolve all the mix up, but it required many hours and emails to DAN, Afrternic, SAV.

If you had emailed me that someone bought this domain, and I m just waiting for his payment, I would have delist it from all other marketplaces and all of this would have been avoided

•••
Hi @James Iles @GoDaddy

My uniregistry account got switched to afternic. All my domains are listed for sale.
Domains pointed to ns1.afternic.com and ns1.afternic.com with landers to CP

Domains showing only clean blank pages and no domains listed in my public profile.

Sent mail to [email protected] service mail ids. But no response.

•••
Day 4 —no replies. @Afternic have you fired all customer support who used to attend to these email accounts?

Day 5 emails answered. Hopefully this isn’t the new normal.

I'm experiencing the same thing. It now takes Afternic support a week or more to respond to emails---if at all. Horrible.

•••
If afternic listed domain does not have fast transfer enabled (such as unsupported extension like .ai, or unsupported registrar for .com fast transfer, or fast transfer was simply not activated) THEN godaddy "exact domain" search results page shows the following text /right bottom/:

PREMIUM DOMAIN
Buy now at this price or make offer to current owner.

Why makeoffer? Where is it supposed to be presented for pure bin listing (all 4 pricing fields are equal in afternic config)?

*only domains without fast transfer are affected*

This text is misleading imo.

@GoDaddy

Last edited:
•••
I just noticed on Afrternic beta there is the "ON HOLD" page.
Apparently, it s for domains that a buyer is already in the process of buying, but hasn't paid yet.

Ok, that's a useful addition, but you should notify the seller when a domain enters in this state.

Just 2 weeks ago, I made a bin sale in DAN and I couldn't transfer them the domain, because Afternic had put it in "on hold" state in my registrar (SAV), through Afternic's fast transfer!
3 days after I sold it in DAN, they emailed me from Afternic that the domain was sold in their network...
After some days I managed to resolve all the mix up, but it required many hours and emails to DAN, Afrternic, SAV.

If you had emailed me that someone bought this domain, and I m just waiting for his payment, I would have delist it from all other marketplaces and all of this would have been avoided
Thanks for your feedback. We're looking at all Afternic email communications at the moment, so this is timely!

Hi @James Iles @GoDaddy

My uniregistry account got switched to afternic. All my domains are listed for sale.
Domains pointed to ns1.afternic.com and ns1.afternic.com with landers to CP

Domains showing only clean blank pages and no domains listed in my public profile.

Sent mail to [email protected] service mail ids. But no response.
Hi @domainsaleblog, we're working with you via DM.

If afternic listed domain does not have fast transfer enabled (such as unsupported extension like .ai, or unsupported registrar for .com fast transfer, or fast transfer was simply not activated) THEN godaddy "exact domain" search results page shows the following text /right bottom/:

PREMIUM DOMAIN
Buy now at this price or make offer to current owner.

Why makeoffer? Where is it supposed to be presented for pure bin listing (all 4 pricing fields are equal in afternic config)?

*only domains without fast transfer are affected*

This text is misleading imo.

@GoDaddy
Thanks for your feedback.

•••
Afternic does not accept some of my domains, because they say that "they have been flagged for potential trademark concerns or adult themes"

I see a lot of ethereum domains listed in afternic, but they do not accept my ethereum(.)vet and
ethereum(.)jewelry.

Is ethereum a trademark?

Also I have listed "them(.)pro" which is a word, "monstera(.)pro" which is just a plant, "antioch(.)info" which is a city.

So they have under review my one word domains, while they have listed in Afternic domains like:

sephora.io, cocacola.agency, mcdonalds.xyz, generalelectric.xyz and many more.

Why my domains only are under review?

•••
Afternic does not accept some of my domains, because they say that "they have been flagged for potential trademark concerns or adult themes"

I see a lot of ethereum domains listed in afternic, but they do not accept my ethereum(.)vet and
ethereum(.)jewelry.

Is ethereum a trademark?

Also I have listed "them(.)pro" which is a word, "monstera(.)pro" which is just a plant, "antioch(.)info" which is a city.

So they have under review my one word domains, while they have listed in Afternic domains like:

sephora.io, cocacola.agency, mcdonalds.xyz, generalelectric.xyz and many more.

Why my domains only are under review?
Just contact their support team and ask them to review and approve these listings.
They will reply to you within 2-3 days.

•••
Or you can delete them and re list them.
Not the flagged ones though.
Not just you🤗
I have one under review due to transfer. a transfer puts them in review but a simple delete, re list, takes 1 minute on dial up
Daddy doesn’t treat all the boys and girls the same anyways

•••
Just contact their support team and ask them to review and approve these listings.
They will reply to you within 2-3 days.

I did, and they answered me that re rechecked all my domains and they are still being flagged…
I specifically asked them in they consider my one word domains as trademarks, and they just ignored my question.

•••
Screen Shot 2023-05-14 at 03.44.56.png

The last two leads seem to have been rejected by "Afternic Automation".

In the details, only the following information is available: "Low quality lead score based on data endpoints - automation only until engagement from inquirer"

What is meant by data endpoints?

According to what criteria exactly does the automation system reject requests?

•••
Show attachment 237562

The last two leads seem to have been rejected by "Afternic Automation".

In the details, only the following information is available: "Low quality lead score based on data endpoints - automation only until engagement from inquirer"

What is meant by data endpoints?

According to what criteria exactly does the automation system reject requests?

Afternic has a robust system that has been built over many years to gauge low-quality and spam inquiries. But since we don't want any leads to be missed, Afternic sends the low-quality lead some automated emails. I can't share the data or criteria of the lead score, but the system doesn't reject requests - if there's no response from the lead, then it remains in the "Stalled" status.

If the lead does respond, then a broker is automatically assigned, and the lead is worked. Again, this system is put in place so that all leads are worked - and it's been very successful - that auto-response system now has some more exposure to sellers thanks to the lead center :)

•••
There's no obvious way to tell if my bulk upload worked. There's no pending list or notifications aside from the Toast that is hidden behind the semi-transparent popup that only shows for a tiny moment in the top right corner. Then no indication that anything happened at all.

Yesterday at one point it seemed to start to work then logged me out and then they were gone including any edits. All I'm doing is following the instructions exactly when I finally got them to open. Is there a secret to this? I'm trying it with just five domains now because the larger bulk add logged me out. It just returns me to the domains I have and shows nothing of the ones I've added via csv. It's really frustrating. Are they getting listed? Should I go somewhere else? Should I change my DNS now or later?

I was hoping to add a larger percentage of them to Afternic. Adding them by hand at 50 a pop then editing all the cells isn't going to work for me. I certainly won't try to bulk manage 500+ domains if this is the process. Perhaps I'm missing something? Could we get an email or a notice in the Admin saying we got your bulk upload and it looks right so we'll process it?

Further, the important data about using your bulk upload is in a XLS spreadsheet, not searchable on the web, that will only open if you own MS Office? Google docs can't open it. See the screenshot below. It's locked to Office only.

It could be super easy for everyone. You want a csv. Start with a csv. Add a Readme.md that everyone can read. It's just text. Put it on github in a repository so it's useful for everyone. I could do this for you this evening if you'd like. I'm reasonably expensive but so are you. ;)

Screenshot 2023-05-16 163655.png

Thanks. Having sold a domain with you about six months ago (poochain.com) and hearing of other's successes with larger portfolios I'm hopeful mine will do well listed with you. If I can manage them via bulk I'd be a really happy programmer. I'm generating the csv from Python using Pandas if anyone is curious when I say tools. I can chew on the domains with all sorts of statistical oddities, do other nerd stuff or even ask the OpenAI api to make up stories about them and turn them into websites (sadgpt-com). It's very easy to export to the exact format needed anywhere you please. Supposedly even Afternic. lol

•••
There's no obvious way to tell if my bulk upload worked. There's no pending list or notifications aside from the Toast that is hidden behind the semi-transparent popup that only shows for a tiny moment in the top right corner. Then no indication that anything happened at all.

Yesterday at one point it seemed to start to work then logged me out and then they were gone including any edits. All I'm doing is following the instructions exactly when I finally got them to open. Is there a secret to this? I'm trying it with just five domains now because the larger bulk add logged me out. It just returns me to the domains I have and shows nothing of the ones I've added via csv. It's really frustrating. Are they getting listed? Should I go somewhere else? Should I change my DNS now or later?

I was hoping to add a larger percentage of them to Afternic. Adding them by hand at 50 a pop then editing all the cells isn't going to work for me. I certainly won't try to bulk manage 500+ domains if this is the process. Perhaps I'm missing something? Could we get an email or a notice in the Admin saying we got your bulk upload and it looks right so we'll process it?

Further, the important data about using your bulk upload is in a XLS spreadsheet, not searchable on the web, that will only open if you own MS Office? Google docs can't open it. See the screenshot below. It's locked to Office only.

It could be super easy for everyone. You want a csv. Start with a csv. Add a Readme.md that everyone can read. It's just text. Put it on github in a repository so it's useful for everyone. I could do this for you this evening if you'd like. I'm reasonably expensive but so are you. ;)

Show attachment 237710

Thanks. Having sold a domain with you about six months ago (poochain.com) and hearing of other's successes with larger portfolios I'm hopeful mine will do well listed with you. If I can manage them via bulk I'd be a really happy programmer. I'm generating the csv from Python using Pandas if anyone is curious when I say tools. I can chew on the domains with all sorts of statistical oddities, do other nerd stuff or even ask the OpenAI api to make up stories about them and turn them into websites (sadgpt-com). It's very easy to export to the exact format needed anywhere you please. Supposedly even Afternic. lol

Thanks for your feedback @Acion, it's valuable and we'll make sure that the Afternic team looks into this process. In the meantime, our team will reach out to you about managing your portfolio.

•••
How do i report trash domains masquerading as “Premium” or worse— TM infringement.

Is there a faster way than “snail mail”?

•••
Thanks for your feedback @Acion, it's valuable and we'll make sure that the Afternic team looks into this process. In the meantime, our team will reach out to you about managing your portfolio.
Thank you. Much appreciated. I do think it could be quite nice.

•••
One big problem I ran into listing new domains on Afternic 2.0:

There seems to be no way to perform bulk changes to pricing from within the "Add Domain" process.

This used to be available in Afternic 1.0, but now there are no checkboxes or ability to select multiple domains, and I had to enter BIN/Floor/Minimum prices one by one, or 50 by 50 in my case.

Or am I just not seeing the "mystery option" to mass update prices on new domain listings?

P.S. The Verification Process worked perfectly.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back