Dynadot

question Advice needed for transferring expired/expiring domains

NameSilo
Watch

Mister Funsky

Top Member
Impact
It is a long story that I will share at a later time, but I have the need to transfer out quite a few domains that are expiring at a registrar I am moving away from.

My concerns are over the timing...for example, how long before the expire date should I start the transfer? I am worried the names might be caught in 'limbo' and/or the losing registrar will somehow interfere in the transfer to the winning registrar.

I know the rule of thumb is 5 days for a transfer, but is a name safe once the transfer has been initiated? In this case, I am sure an expedited transfer will be blocked by the losing registrar.

As long as I've been in this game, this has never been a issue for me...I guess I've been fortunate (and lucky) to have not experienced this situation yet. Thanks for your advice/information.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
Don't play game. Just transfer them out a couple of days before the expiration date.
Each registrar has their own set of rules like Dyndot will lock the day after the expiration date and you have to contact them to unlock the name so you can transfer out.

•••
Don't play game. Just transfer them out a couple of days before the expiration date.
Each registrar has their own set of rules like Dyndot will lock the day after the expiration date and you have to contact them to unlock the name so you can transfer out.

Thanks for your response. I've never had a registrar have an issue so large it prompted me to transfer my names away. The issue came up quickly and per my normal habit (turns out it is a bad one) I typically wait until a few days before a name expires to renew it. I have certainly learned a lesson.

•••
I used Excel and format the expiration dates column with condition so if they are about to expire within a week it will turn red.
There is no reason to wait until or after the expiration date to take actions: transfer/renew.

•••
They are not allowed to deny a transfer of a domain thats not renewed/expired unless they delete it. Some exceptions like ongoing udrp, fraud, etc.

What do they do with expired names? Delete them so they enter Redemption Grace Period? If they send them to RGP right away that might cause an issue as they would need to restore it which comes with fees (like on a regular lifecycle when the domain enters RGP).

Check the domain registration agreement of your registrar to obtain that info.

Are we talking gTLDs? Could be different when you deal with tlds (like ccTLDS) where ICANN has no authority.

•••
Are we talking gTLDs?

Thanks for your input...the names are all coms.

The worst part of what is happening now is the lack of contact from the registrar. If I am lucky to have any interaction, it has been with someone that clearly has no understanding of domain investing and/or the industry. They are basically a live answering service as opposed to in house customer service.

•••
Normally even if the transfer takes 5 days, but you initiated it just one day before the expiration and the start was confirmed by email, you should be safe. Transfer should be finished correctly after 5 days, regardless. I was quite a few times in this same situation and never had a problem.
However, it's best to talk to the registrar, double checking this moment.

•••
I have transferred domains after their expiration dates but like someone mentioned, It sometimes depends on the registrar terms & conditions. You shouldn't have any problems transferring your domains out especially if you can manually approve the transfer request.

•••
I don't understand why you are waiting for them to expire in the first place. Don't you get the remaining time added with the new registrar?

•••
I don't understand why you are waiting for them to expire in the first place. Don't you get the remaining time added with the new registrar?

It's not my habit to wait until they expire...of course, if they do, there is an ample time period to add another year of registration.

In this case, I deleted a potentially compromised credit card (due to unrelated data breach) and when I tried to add another, it would not take. After several days of trying to get customer support to take care of the problem, names started to expire...with no way for me to make payment. Thus the desire to move them out.

•••
Right the best time to transfer is before they expire if not they might jack the price

•••
Once you start the domain transfer, the domain status will change to pendingTransfer and the losing registrar should not interfere.

But they may have different rules depending on the registrar. Starting the transfer around 7 days before its expiration date should be fine.

If the losing registrar allows to expedite the transfer out, then try it. (y)

Last edited:
•••
Once you start the domain transfer, the domain status will change to pendingTransfer and the losing registrar should not interfere.

But they may have different rules depending on the registrar. Starting the transfer around 7 days before its expiration date should be fine.

If the losing registrar allows to expedite the transfer out, then try it. (y)

I will admit it has been interesting experiencing all this...a couple decades under my belt and it has never been an issue before.

You are correct (I have learned the hard way) that 7 days is ideal...5 might be cutting it too short.

The 'expedite' feature was not available but the names, for the most part, have all transferred successfully. Still waiting on a few, but they are low grade. I did have a couple almost top tier names in the bunch but they have all been moved successfully.

Unless there is a rapid onset illness or accident that interferes with life, this will not happen to me again! :xf.smile:

Last edited:
•••
Best to transfer names out from the losing registrar weeks or months ahead of the expiration date. Otherwise with some especially smaller registrars you could have a problem. I've found this to be problematic with a few smaller registrars located in foreign (non U.S.) countries. Good luck with getting a jump on things. Extra fees added by some registrars make some names fairly unwise to renew from a business standpoint.

•••
Some registrar still allowed customers to transfer out up to 15 - 30 days after domain expired. Transfer out to other registrar take 5-7 days ( maximum ). Some simple scenario :

# For 15 days as maximum

Domain expired : feb , 2th , 2022

Safe to transfer out max at Feb, 8th, 2022

Potential lose : when you transfer out at Feb , 9th, 2022 ( usually transfer failed / cancel )

# For 30 days as maximum

Domain expired : feb , 2th , 2022

Safe to transfer out max at Feb, 21th, 2022

Potential lose : when you transfer out at Feb , 22th, 2022 ( usually transfer failed / cancel )

Its better to check whois immediately after we transfer the domain to new registrar to monitor the status. When we have got pending transfer, process go to normally ( average 5 - 7 days)

Its my experience with local registrar in our countries.

IMO : domain is ours , registrar have no right to prevent transfer process after 60 days.

•••
Most registras add the time on, as long as you dont leave it within the last 30 days? Its worth checking with your registrar.

•••
You have the right to transfer out for as long it has not entered Redemption.
Relevant ICANN ref = https://www.icann.org/resources/pages/name-holder-faqs-2017-10-10-en point 11. (So only applies to TLDs managed by ICANN).
I have transferred out expired domains literally hundreds of times if they are not active and I do not intend to sell but am holding for a project.
Sometimes the smaller or more awkward Registrars faff you about, like UK2, but they know that they are required to honour the above.
Top Tip - unlock the domains and get the EPP / Auth code before they expire if you can; that way you can just enter them into the gaining reg of your choice when you are ready.
Even if you don't have that in advance, they are required to unlock them and provide the EPP; sometimes you have to have to do an online chat to get them to do this.
If both Registrars operate the Fast Transfer system (I think that is the right term) the transfer can be initiated, and completed, within 15 minutes.

Last edited:
•••
Don’t transfer domains to sav.com

•••
Don’t transfer domains to sav.com
My guess is YMMV with this advice. SAV isn't the only registrar I use, but I transfer expiring domains to them all the time without issue (knock on wood). Have been doing so for over a year, and sometimes as late as a few days before expiry. If I ever run into an issue, I'll be the first to say something. I can't speak to transferring expiring domains from there, however.

Some registrars (Cloudflare Registrar, in particular) initiate the renewal process sooner than 7 days before expiry, so just be on the lookout there. If you don't have a valid payment method on file, then most likely the renewal doesn't take place; yet you can still transfer the domain elsewhere as long as it hasn't expired.

Most of the registrars I use don't allow transfers after expiration unless you reach out and ask--and even then, there's no guarantee (perhaps it's at their discretion as to whether or not to approve the outgoing transfer). One that comes to mind is Namesilo. If I let something expire there (that's not set to autorenew), I just pay the renewal fee and keep it there.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back