IT.COM

question Transferring Domain Names

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

lactroi

Impact
When I pick up a dropped domain name, most of the time I will list it for sale right away. There will be times I do not list it and the year goes by and it is time to renew. A few of the places I get dropped domains have a high renewal fee so I will always transfer it to another registrar that will be much less to just transfer it which comes with a year renewal.

Here is my question that I would like your feelings on.

When I initiate the transfer for the domain, the dropped registrar will immediately email me to tell me they will lower their price to keep the domain there. My feeling is to offer those prices as your normal prices and not chase your customers when they start a transfer.

Thoughts.....

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I agree. To offer a discount to stay tells me they think it is okay to overcharge on a normal basis and their regular customers. I would not do business with them, transfer away.

•••
It's the same with car insurance. I usually tell them to stick it and move. That way I hope that the industry will change its attitude. It never does because most people capitulate.

•••
NetSol is one of those who does that. Renewal $35+ no thanks. Attempt to transfer out, now it's $10. Still no thanks... can get $8.xx many other places and with better service overall.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back