Dynadot

sales Acquire.com Was Sold To Micro Acquire For $2,000,000

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

silentg

DomainRetail.comTop Member
Impact
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
We should take these CEO reported figures with a pinch of salt.

Last edited:
•••
Usually for domains to sell multi-million (what we thought this sale was) they have to be category defining or amazing brandables (for example Yes dot com, Galaxy dot com).
I disagree. I think what makes Yes and Galaxy amazing brandables is that they are not category defining but generic and are suitable for most categories.

•••
I disagree. I think what makes Yes and Galaxy amazing brandables is that they are not category defining but generic and are suitable for most categories.
So what are you disagreeing with me about?

Last edited:
•••
I think I misread what you originally said. I think I read that as Yes and Galaxy being category defining, amazing brandables...instead of just amazing brandables. Apologies.

•••
Guys it only sold for 200K. He thought he was being funny saying he paid 2 million. This thread is now on Google forever unless mods delete it.

Good reason not to start these kinds of threads unless a sale amount is verified.

•••
Guys it only sold for 200K. He thought he was being funny saying he paid 2 million. This thread is now on Google forever unless mods delete it.

Good reason not to start these kinds of threads unless a sale amount is verified.
How much more verification do you want? The CEO of the company, using a verified account made that statement. I do not see it as a joke at all, really reckless of him to think that is a joke.

•••
How much more verification do you want? The CEO of the company, using a verified account made that statement. I do not see it as a joke at all, really reckless of him to think that is a joke.
It was a good one tbf, he didn’t tell anyone to write blogs or threads on domaining forums about this ‘supposed’ 2 million sale, but he quickly told the truth what he really paid (even though he didn’t have to). The CEO isn’t a domain investor, chances are he won’t buy another premium domain name again; he doesn’t care what anyone here thinks or Google.

•••
It was a good one tbf, he didn’t tell anyone to write blogs or threads on domaining forums about this ‘supposed’ 2 million sale, but he quickly told the truth what he really paid (even though he didn’t have to). The CEO isn’t a domain investor, chances are he won’t buy another premium domain name again; he doesn’t care what anyone here thinks or Google.
Making jokes about financial transactions is something that is a big red flag for investors. 20+ years of working with investment firms, nobody wants to deal with people that are not extremely serious when they talk about numbers. In a post FTX world, that will be even more serious. You might find it cute, you might think everything is a tiktok clown world, but there are some people, including myself that don't think a CEO posting a lie about a transaction is funny at all. This has nothing to do if he plans to buy another domain or not, obviously it doesn't matter for domainers, we sell names to people that pay the price we want. However, there is a world outside of domaining.

•••
Making jokes about financial transactions is something that is a big red flag for investors. 20+ years of working with investment firms, nobody wants to deal with people that are not extremely serious when they talk about numbers. In a post FTX world, that will be even more serious. You might find it cute, you might think everything is a tiktok clown world, but there are some people, including myself that don't think a CEO posting a lie about a transaction is funny at all. This has nothing to do if he plans to buy another domain or not, obviously it doesn't matter for domainers, we sell names to people that pay the price we want. However, there is a world outside of domaining.
Rick S says Properties dot com (censored so name or domain does get indexed) is not going to be sold unless someone pays $125m for it, yet most people know this is bullshit and just a domain investor using the power of the internet and indexing to inflate the price of his asset in hope that when someone comes along, offers $5 million and he accepts they think they’ve got a bargain.

Shady tactics like that celebrated on here though, this is ‘purposely’ done because Rick knows bloggers are going to write and it’s going to be posted on forums (free publicity), owner of Acquire said $2 million in a tweet not expecting people to write about it and (as said) he quickly tweeted again to say he never paid 7 figures for it and was a joke, me I can take a joke and give the guy credit and say ‘good one’ (he had people going), he never carried this on for months/years and no harm was done, don’t worry about it.

Last edited:
•••
Rick S says Properties dot com (censored so name or domain does get indexed) is not going to be sold unless someone pays $125m for it, yet most people know this is bullshit and just a domain investor using the power of the internet to inflate the price of his asset in hope that when someone comes along, offers $5 million and he accepts they think they’ve got a bargain.

Shady tactics like that celebrated on here though, this is ‘purposely’ done because Rick knows bloggers are going to write and it’s going to be posted on forums (free publicity), this guy said $2 million in a tweet not expecting people to write about it and (as said) he quickly tweeted again to say he never paid 7 figures for it and was a joke, me I can take a joke and give the guy credit and say ‘good one’ (he got people going), he never carried it on for months/years, no harm was done, don’t worry about it.
No harm was done to anyone but to his reputation and the reputation of his company. The way things work in the real world is people do very quick due diligence as a first phase, they come across his clown behavior and for most serious investment firms or others looking to do business, his behavior translates into an "avoid at all costs." Most investment companies manage other peoples money, if they invest or engage with them and it backfires, any amateur lawyer will claim that they should've known from his ridiculous behavior on twitter with what you consider a harmless joke, that he should not be trusted. To you it's all funny, and I am not worried about it. I am posting this so other non domainers that might find this post learn from his mistake. You will never understand it, so you can stop replying with stories that has nothing to do with this topic.

•••
No harm was done to anyone but to his reputation and the reputation of his company.
Then why isn't everyone else saying that?

With respect you are making a mountain out of a molehill.

•••
I would never do business with this guy. Did he ever think of how his “joke” could hurt the seller, considering taxes and what not?

What an asshole and I’d say he’s not a joker but more so a liar!

•••
I am concerned with the trend of more, both domain investors and CEOs, reporting sales/purchases of domain names on social media such as Twitter. When this is done it does not go through even the most cursory of checks.

I don't find this case a 'joke' as the CEO called it, and not sure if the original price he promoted was part of his campaign to get Twitter to give him the matching Twitter handle that had been owned by someone else and was suspended. The price was originally quoted in response to a question about price related to that discussion.

Many domain sales reported on social media are lacking one of the key elements of exact name, price, date of sale or confirmation that it was a fully paid and cash only type sale, checks that are needed to get in DNJournal or NameBio.

If some want to report their sales on social media, that is their right, but I would hope they also report to NameBio.

Of course as discussed elsewhere on NamePros, there are many issues around whether to report at all. I truly appreciate that many do report to NameBio, that makes analyses possible.

-Bob

•••
I would never do business with this guy. Did he ever think of how his “joke” could hurt the seller, considering taxes and what not?

What an asshole and I’d say he’s not a joker but more so a liar!
That is a fair point.

•••
Re-reading my comments in this thread, I’m a person always open to have his views changed and Keith made a great point about taxes. Even though official records always should be used for taxes (copies of Escrow etc), I can now see posting false figures publically ‘could’ cause problems for the previous owner.

While I still don’t think any bad intentions was made by the new owner of Acquire, (as said) he quickly put this right and I do think it was joke, I can now see this ‘could’ cause problems, so I just thought I would reply again for the record saying I can see that (I can’t edit previous posts).

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back