IT.COM

About Best Registrar Polls

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Should we do it at the end of the year?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • Yes

• No

• Maybe

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Windoms

Top Member
Impact
I think best registrar polls should be at the end of the year.

2016 poll was in march. Godaddy won, 52%. Thread by @JB Lions .
2017 poll was in november. Godaddy won 29.8%. Thread by @equity78
There was no poll in 2018.
2019 poll was in june. Namesilo won 24.4%.
2020 poll was in march. Epik won 26.9%.

Here is my idea.
Start poll on the 1st day of december and end it on the last 31st day of december, or from 1st to 15th or 15th to 31st.

So that going into the new year, we can look back and decide who the best registrar was.
Leave it open for a whole month and keep debating so that everyone can see it and vote.
Have public votes (we can see who's voting for who), results only viewable after voting.

Imo its better than march or september polls.
Make it Best Registrar of the Year, so it would make sense to have it at the end of the year.

You'd even have registrars try to bribe us with juicy promotions at the end of the year if they had a date to go by.

With mysterious newcomers, Godaddy finally innovating, DAN brewing serious coffee, Epik in the lab, SAV in the schemes, Namesilo launching their new marketplace (forgot the name), dynadot being efficient and thus able to throw any bomb at any time, 2021 will be exciting to see.

But that would be December 2021.

Last one was March 2020, it's now December 2020, and December 2021 feels like a century ahead.

The question for the poll is, should we do it at the end of year; not should we make another one for 2020.

I am not looking to remove epik's title, they already won, pubicly, from june 2019 to march 2020, it's fact in history, nothing can change it.

But for the sake of far away december 2021 itchy feet syndrome, maybe we could have another one, or not.

In both cases, if we decide to move Namepros Best Registrar of the Year award to the month of December.

If we do, have $1 .com and 0% commission bribes ready in october @Paul Nicks @DAN.COM @Rob Monster @Nick R , @namesilo , @Dynadot .

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Does it tell you "results viewable after voting"
Or "results viewable after poll closes".
"Other" is already on the list.
Results viewable after voting. I went ahead and voted

•••
Last edited:
•••
--

Last edited:
•••
•••
May I know the reason for excluding DaaZ.com. We are a new market place , it would be great if you can include us too. We have 30k+ names re-directed to our landing pages.
I have no idea, I simply missed you. You were on my list earlier, don't know how that happened.
I've notified mods already, will see if it can be done along a couple other tweaks.

Efty is a big one yes.
Also include parking company landers yes.

Efty
Afternic
Uni
DAN
sedo
epik
DomainAgents
Daaz
Sav
BrandPa
BrandBucket
Namesilo
Dynadot
Own (custom?) Lander

•••
I have no idea, I simply missed you. You were on my list earlier, don't know how that happened.
I've notified mods already, will see if it can be done along a couple other tweaks.

Ok Thank you.
Namepros voting certainly has some impacts on the domainer's selecting a market place , just missing us out will certainly hurt us a bit.

We are going to be here long term and has been operational for past 16+ months, Although it hurts, its ok for missing us for a year if its too difficult to tweak . We have 150k+ inventory at moment and hoping to reach 1 million names in couple of months time.

Certainly we are looking forward to bring the positive impact on the industry and make the platform as domainer friendly market place.

Thanks again for your initiative , certainly a good initiative. :)

•••
I used to love GODADDY,
But now I don't like it.
Now I prefer DYNADOT,
Now GODADDY is having a hard time transferring domain names....

•••
I think we should take a bit of a clue from the Oscars as registries continue to try being all things to all people -- I think we need to look at differentiations that people may be needing to know. For instance:
1. Pricing, loyal/consistent Renewal Prices, Transfer Prices
2. Aftermarket/sales (is it in SEDO's and AFTERNIC's registries for fast-track sales - and whoever else's?) Does it offer an advantaged marketplace to internal registrations Does it offer wide reach if using it for sales? Does it change marketplace rules and format? Do they offer stats? Does it have a retail and wholesale following?
3. Expiration sale relationships - a sticky wicket - if they are partnered with a name reservation entity, I think that is a potential conflict of interest. Are renewals steep to encourage transfers or expirations? Do they offer a catch a drop name service themselves?
4. How much one-stop shopping does it offer: hosting, building, registering, wholesale, retail, marketplace, organizing portfolios, analyzation tools and stats for parking, listing for sale, free privacy, etc.
5. Parking. Is it easy, organized, potentially profitable, accessible to buyers, is inputting tags, info, keywords, etc. laborious, is it automatic, are templates aesthetic, customizable without being complicated? Can you track visits with google analytics?
6. Accessiblitly. Can you reach a human on the phone? Is there 24/7 support by chat or otherwise? How quickly responsive are they? How is customer service?
7. Needs of client - is it better for people with portfolios in the hundreds? Is there outbound service for sales available to customers? Are there brokers available to those with names selling for under $500? In other words - does it serve the top, middle, and small customer? What is their sweetspot?
8. Bells and whistles not already mentioned. Do they have an option to upload images? Is there a registry that operates like the AP does for news where it dispatches out everywhere (like Sedo and Afternic do/did?). How quick is the turnaround? Do you need to be vetted, get codes, etc., etc Do they offer stats and analytics? So tired of having to pay for third party entities for that.
Thinking aloud here, but it seems there are three categories.

1. Basic registry. Good prices, wide selection, good search tool, easy DNS tools, organized tools for parking, forwarding, and analytics. A name known to general buyers, an international reach, and partners for services they may not offer. A marketplace for registry customers. Basic landing page capabilities. Low commisions. Takes all forms commerce

2. Adding to that excellent parking/listing capabilities. Organization of entire portfolio, automatic calculation of expiry dates, registry (if inputting an externally registered name), analytic and value specs, suggested and/or automatic key words for listing/parking and selling names. Eligible for SEDO, GoDaddy, Afternic, etc. Tiered commission options.

3. The full monty. Why not just go for this? Because we're all looking for different things, at different times, and may not want to put all our eggs into one basket. I prefer to go to a hosting company (or at least I've got my sites at one) and have not ever tried hosting at any of my registries. Also, I am very sensative to conflicts of interest and integrity.

As far as when this should be done - I don't think it matters. People change their minds; some may vote in the spring and skip the winter. Plus, if there are different categories - with different strengths - and explanations, that could be useful. I have heard many people with large portfolios opt to pay more at say, godaddy for reasons that I don't value personally. I'd rather save $10 plus per name registration. I use three different registries - actually four now, but that can get confusing. Lastly, companies change with their people.

•••
Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back