IT.COM

discuss 2020 Predictions for the Domain Industry

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Silentptnr

Domains88.comTop Member
Impact
Every year the top domain brokers and investors make their predictions for the coming year.

Let's make our predictions about domain name investing for 2020.

What do you think will happen? What do you think will be popular? What changes do you think will occur?

What new products/services will be unveiled in 2020.

I'm really interested to hear what NamePros members predict.

Make your predictions here and let's see what happens in 2020!

We have so many great minds here on NP. I look forward to learning from these predictions.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I predict that in 2020, short .com domains (3L, 4L, some 5L) will increase by 25% or more in value. End User sales of short domains will increase substantially.

•••
Continued growth for one word .co, .io, .ai, and even .gg, while ngtlds will continue their down slide.

•••
More new people in domaining. More complaints from the rusty oldies. More domain-related scandals and incidents. Improvements on some of the sales platforms. Afternic and Godaddy will not improve though. Continued market polarization, with the very top names getting more value and demand and the rest suffering decline.

•••
Voice.com sale will be beaten! 🤯😁

•••
Early 2020 will have an increase in sales over previous years comparable period...in all extensions but primarily in com.

Late 2020 will have a decrease in sales over previous years comparable period due to uncertainty in politics (setting us up for a stellar 2021)

(disclaimer: I do not have a crystal ball nor do I use magic cards for my predictions...btw, a global conflict will change all the above)

•••
More new people in domaining. More complaints from the rusty oldies. More domain-related scandals and incidents. Improvements on some of the sales platforms. Afternic and Godaddy will not improve though. Continued market polarization, with the very top names getting more value and demand and the rest suffering decline.

The man is a prophet.

•••
Voice.com sale will be beaten! 🤯😁

That is a very bold prediction.

I have more confidence in the scenario that Voice.com is outed as having been a money (uhh) rinsing operation.

•••
That is a very bold prediction.

I have more confidence in the scenario that Voice.com is outed as having been a money (uhh) rinsing operation.
shrinking pool of top assets + increased competition = bold prediction

Got to put your plumbs on the table sometimes.....

•••
With increasing laws favoring sports betting and gambling in the US, I believe there will continue to be a run on sports betting and gambling related domains.

I also believe that short domains, 3 letter, brandable 4 letter, and short numerical domains will rise in value substantially.

Crypto domains will see a resurgence mid year around the time that Bitcoin halves, as I believe we will begin the first stages of another bull market.

AI, Robotics, and Extended Reality domains will still be good options for investment through the aftermarket as those industries grow.

Marijuana names will continue their climb as more states legalize.

•••

umm, that was me 1st thought 2,
and not say'n it true
but me thinks some others went to laundromat two

:)

on the prediction side
there will be some changes in the script
but the real, will adapt....
while the lame, will just fade away
and
I just hope to be around to look back at 2020, 2021, 2022 and so on and so on

imo...

•••
I predict that XR and autonomous driving domains will become more and more popular as the new year goes on. 👍

•••
Hard to predict, due to extremely high level on uncertainty in economics and politics. This may affect all businesses, domaining included.

However -

Domaining will still be alive.

"Expired" game rules may be changed (negatively for us the domainers), thanks to ICANN and Verisign. Domainers who already invest in "saleable" country codes - which in many cases means that they also live in these countries - will be more safe though.

New scandals.

New acquisitions.

Marketplaces will have to increase prices. There is a lot of fraud already, and it will be growing. If Afternic charges 20% and some abstract SuperNic charges 10% today - then this SuperNic is already receiving more fraudulent transactions (stolen CC and the like), and has less resources to combat fraud.

Some folks who tend to overpay on expired auctions will need to look for a new job. If you are going to bid today - and if you are new in the business (<3 years) - think about it, before placing the next bid in a few hours...

Epik will win the next (2020) "best registar" NamePros poll. Dynadot will be the 2nd.

GoDaddy will finally improve their frontend and backend, thanks to the new CEO.

New GTLD operators will further consolidate their ownership. It is hard to survive selling something that almost nobody really wants or needs (on a global scale), and the current numbers are already too low (excluding $0.99 first year promotions).

•••
With increasing laws favoring sports betting and gambling in the US, I believe there will continue to be a run on sports betting and gambling related domains.

I also believe that short domains, 3 letter, brandable 4 letter, and short numerical domains will rise in value substantially.

Crypto domains will see a resurgence mid year around the time that Bitcoin halves, as I believe we will begin the first stages of another bull market.

AI, Robotics, and Extended Reality domains will still be good options for investment through the aftermarket as those industries grow.

Marijuana names will continue their climb as more states legalize.

Are you sure about sports betting because the current administration is very close with some of the Vegas big wigs like S Anderson, and they don’t like online sports betting, as it takes away from their Vegas based sports books. Many would like to see it happen, but I don’t think it’s as forthcoming as it seems at this point.

•••
I predict that XR and autonomous driving domains will become more and more popular as the new year goes on. 👍

We expect the strong surge in VRX as well and have a few choice pickings in our portfolio. 2020 is going to bring a massive influx of worldwide investors and a large scale business movement from the silk road.

Last edited:
•••
Are you sure about sports betting because the current administration is very close with some of the Vegas big wigs like S Anderson, and they don’t like online sports betting, as it takes away from their Vegas based sports books. Many would like to see it happen, but I don’t think it’s as forthcoming as it seems at this point.

Going on news, the fact that the bill also just passed in my own state, and what I’ve seen happening in domains over the last several months.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.businessinsider.com/states-where-sports-betting-legal-usa-2019-7

However, just a prediction as the OP asked for.

•••
•••
I predict we will see several new namepros members achieve a $xx,xxx+ domain sale.

:)

•••
Elon will realize that registering Cybrtrk(com) was a mistake and will be on a mission to upgrade to CyberTruck(com) :-P

•••
I predict that space industry will be a hot one

•••
•••
•••
One I am pretty confident on......The rise of Defi (Decentralized Finance) & Opfi (Open Finance)

We will start to see some nice domain sales in 2020

•••
Going on news, the fact that the bill also just passed in my own state, and what I’ve seen happening in domains over the last several months.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.businessinsider.com/states-where-sports-betting-legal-usa-2019-7

However, just a prediction as the OP asked for.
No Worries, but people tend to react to exactly what they hear in the news, but you have to understand there are big donors in Vegas that have the ear of the current administration which is very receptive to forwarding the concerns of their big donors. I have seen people react to a certain news article without considering that there are always two sides to each new rule change. It might seem great for the overall masses, but there is a small percentage that is going to lose a lot of money, but the pockets of that small percentage outweigh that of the masses, but just there are always two sides to each prediction. It's 2020 it's silly certain jurisdictions in the same Country have access to it, whereas others don't from a legal point of view it makes no sense. These guys are very good at passing everything, then hanging on a single contingency for years that derails the whole process.

Last edited:
•••
Registry (proxies) will add additional taxes for the sole purpose of assisting you in obtaining information about domain name Whois. To remain anonymous, please do not register nor transfer domains. Maybe :)

•••
Back