Dynadot
Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Saw this blog post today, I thought there was some great advice in it,

http://morganlinton.com/is-your-domain-portfolio-junk-2011-guide-to-dropping-your-domains-part-1/

Especially this part,

It might be the hardest thing to do but if you’re not making money with your domains then you aren’t really a Domainer. Just think, if I told you that I sold cars for a living, and you asked how much I made and I said, “I lose about $1,000/year” would you still consider me a car salesman?

The same is true with domains and I can see many people going down the wrong path with the high volume of emails I’m getting filled with junky domains. So rather than respond to the trillion emails I’m getting, I decided to put-together a three part post on dropping your domains. That’s right, while just about everyone is talking about what names to buy…I’m going to help you figure-out which names to drop.

Of course there is a a .tv'er in there trying to defend the crown,

I am not sure about the idea of dropping domains if the estibot value is less than $100. I got comedymovies(.)tv. Its value according to estibot is $25. Comedy movies has 18,000 exact searches in the US. Estibot stats give 200,000+exact.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Does anyone (everyone?) see clearly that Snoop's days of contributing useful content to this forum are over and past? Now he is so often the one "grasping at straws", or, worse, insulting top people in the industry with no apology to be seen. It's become quite pathetic on multiple levels, which is quite an (non)accomplishment.

Last edited:
•••
I suppose that's a true statement for some.

Most would be foolish to register a domain today and expect to realize a profit tomorrow. So Snoop, in your opinion, what is the correct amount of time to hold a domain before giving up on it?

It is not about how long some specific names take to sell, it is about the level of profit a portfolios bring in.

Just look at you accounts each year, if you put in your tax and it states a loss next to domain trading then there is something wrong, the portfolio isn't generating a profit and is most likely worthless. It shouldn't take "time" to make a profit from domaining other than an initial learning curve where major mistakes are made.

A certain % should sell each month/year.

---------- Post added at 03:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:07 PM ----------

For a long time,
I heard, Yelp.COM hasn't turned a profit yet...
FourSqure hasn't turned a profit yet...
FaceBook hasn't rurned a profit yet...

Why run it?

Internet rule #1: It's okay to lose money,
as long as it's on purpose.

Relax & take it easy brothers :).

This doesn't work for individual domainers, they do run out of money. I really hope a lot of people aren't thinking like this.

•••
Going to read this shortly, thanks for the share :)

•••
I have already started my clean up and focusing on a niche of domains.

•••
•••
Does anyone (everyone?) see clearly that Snoop's days of contributing useful content to this forum are over and past? Now he is so often the one "grasping at straws", or, worse, insulting top people in the industry with no apology to be seen. It's become quite pathetic on multiple levels, which is quite an (non)accomplishment.

...his being a mod(or former mod, whichever the case may be), may very well grant him carte blanche to run this lonely but nonetheless colorful crusade against this extension, regardless of the changes in the industry and technology, let alone the advance of the 21st century.

His forlorn yet vigilant character of Don Quixote is forever embedded in the forum's psyche, dragging his ass upon which he rides forward to the 20th century.

To that end I can only say..."Ride, boldly ride(credit to EAP on this phrase for the unaware)" and proclaim his crusade an honorable, albeit futile, exercise into the past.

•••
Does anyone (everyone?) see clearly that Snoop's days of contributing useful content to this forum are over and past?

I disagree, I like a daily dose of cold hard hitting reality, its healthy to discuss the good, the bad and the real IMHO.

If making loads of money from domains was so easy there would'nt be 25,000+ domains dropping every single day..it might be even more?

or as frank schilling said

"I have watched these expiring name lists every day, for the better part of a decade.

These lists are a virtual “boulevard of broken dreams” .. names which people bought with great hope, only to allow them to slip away after they had some emotional change of heart or after they forgot to renew them.

90-95% of these expiring names are complete and total crap. You could make-up better names in the unregistered available pool."

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back