NameSilo
Spaceship
Watch
Saw this blog post today, I thought there was some great advice in it,

http://morganlinton.com/is-your-domain-portfolio-junk-2011-guide-to-dropping-your-domains-part-1/

Especially this part,

It might be the hardest thing to do but if you’re not making money with your domains then you aren’t really a Domainer. Just think, if I told you that I sold cars for a living, and you asked how much I made and I said, “I lose about $1,000/year” would you still consider me a car salesman?

The same is true with domains and I can see many people going down the wrong path with the high volume of emails I’m getting filled with junky domains. So rather than respond to the trillion emails I’m getting, I decided to put-together a three part post on dropping your domains. That’s right, while just about everyone is talking about what names to buy…I’m going to help you figure-out which names to drop.

Of course there is a a .tv'er in there trying to defend the crown,

I am not sure about the idea of dropping domains if the estibot value is less than $100. I got comedymovies(.)tv. Its value according to estibot is $25. Comedy movies has 18,000 exact searches in the US. Estibot stats give 200,000+exact.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Wrong section.
I think this should be moved to the main section. I can't see the relationship with .tv except for the fact that there is 1 comment about .tv
Btw i think that decide what domains keep and what domains drop based on Estibot is the worst advice you can give.

•••
What has this got to do with .TV?

This is a general advice piece and should be in the main section.

•••
Very applicable to .tv domainers in my view because people in this space are some of the worst at keeping names/portfolios that don't generate a profit.

I fact the first to respond stating they have names valued by Estibot at under a $100 yet they think they are valuable was a .tv domainer.

•••
Very applicable to .tv domainers in my view because people in this space are some of the worst at keeping names/portfolios that don't generate a profit.

I'd be interested to see the comparative analysis. I'm interested in the profit/loss pictures of those with primarily with .com, .us, .co, and .co.uk holdings. If you can only provide .TV even that would be fine, I suppose.

I'd be particularly interested to see the comparison for more blended portfolios.

Thanks in advance.

•••
I'm sure it is very applicable to all domainers, including .mobi .co.uk .de .org . net and .wtf - so should it be duplicated and put in every section in NP?

Or should this be in the general section where it belongs - and where everyone can read your views?

•••
Or should this be in the general section where it belongs - and where everyone can read your views?

Actually it belongs as a comment on Morgan Linton's blog :)

•••
I'd be interested to see the comparative analysis. I'm interested in the profit/loss pictures of those with primarily with .com, .us, .co, and .co.uk holdings. If you can only provide .TV even that would be fine, I suppose.

I'd be particularly interested to see the comparison for more blended portfolios.

Thanks in advance.

There is never likely to be any hard data on something like this, for one people losing money aren't going to open the books.

•••
Can't compare domains and cars IMO. A domain doesn't depreciate for one. You can also turn a crappy domain to gold with the right plan.

•••

Sorry Defaultuser - thought snoop said this, didn't realise it was Morgan Linton.

•••
I'm sure it is very applicable to all domainers, including .mobi .co.uk .de .org . net and .wtf - so should it be duplicated and put in every section in NP?

I think you should stop pretending this doesn't have particularly application to .tv,

With a mix of,

-High registration fees (double most other extensions)
-Prior premium renewals (where thousands were often lost on registering a single name)
-Wishful thinking about future growth
-Lack of development options
-Huge amounts of hype

.tv has been probably the worst extension in terms of people sitting on money losing portfolios.

It is right in front of us, with the guy thinking his .tv name valued by estibot at $25 was worth something.

•••
There is never likely to be any hard data on something like this, for one people losing money aren't going to open the books.

Are these the same books that say Amsterdam and it's surroundings are NOT below sea level already!!!

•••
Can't compare domains and cars IMO. A domain doesn't depreciate for one. You can also turn a crappy domain to gold with the right plan.

The blogger isn't comparing domains with cars, it is an analogy, he is saying you wouldn't normally claim to be a care salesman if you were losing money every month so how does it make sense to see yourself as a domainer if you are losing money from that? Ditto for any job.

There is people who say "one day I'll make money" from my domains, those people never make money in my view, it is always put off to some unknown future time, its an excuse.

•••
Saw this blog post today, I thought there was some great advice in it,

http://morganlinton.com/is-your-domain-portfolio-junk-2011-guide-to-dropping-your-domains-part-1/

Especially this part,

Snoop,

C'mon seriously,

Are you just bored and looking for a fight today?

I dont want to be a broken record here, but like everyone said...Wrong section.
Maybe Morgan was talking about the almighty red-headed orphan child of dot com - dot net.
Your favorite, I do believe :lol:

KeithMT - Great correction of a crappy analogy.
You should post that on Morgans blog.
Makes a lot of sense.

•••
The blogger isn't comparing domains with cars, it is an analogy, he is saying you wouldn't normally claim to be a care salesman if you were losing money every month so how does it make sense to see yourself as a domainer if you are losing money from that? Ditto for any job.

There is people who say "one day I'll make money" from my domains, those people never make money in my view, it is always put off to some unknown future time, its an excuse.

Snoop are you saying you've never sold a domain for profit after you've held it for an extended period of time?

The expectation with any investment is to one day make money. The hope that folks hold on to doesn't only apply to domains. On the same hand, of course domainers buy with hopes of one day turning a profit.

•••
I think you should stop pretending this doesn't have particularly application to .tv

I think only Snoop thinks this applies wholly to .tv - it's a bit like saying a rise in the ocean levels will affect just one place in the world. It's irrational fixation.

High registration fees (double most other extensions)

Name.com - .Tv price for ONE YEAR $9.99

Name.com - .TV price for TEN YEARS $99.90

How is that double?

Prior premium renewals

PArtially correct - but then every bend of the truth needs an element of truth to make it plausible.

Wishful thinking about future growth

IS this a serious? Are you saying there is no growth - either developmentally or even from a domaining point? Did you miss the past year?

Lack of development options

I'll tell Oprah!

and the thousands and thousands of .Tv developers (and the guy who just paid me $20k this week to build a great new televisual site for his clients)

Huge amounts of hype

There has been very little publicity for .TV - in fact this is one of the gripes of .Tv investors. Yet .Tv sales still grow and an exponential growth is seen in real enduser-made internet TV channels.

.tv has been probably the worst extension in terms of people sitting on money losing portfolios..

Yet, the ones with the the biggest portfolios are still investing. Surely, they would all be broke by now if your unfounded, illogical and patently inaccurate smear were correct.

•••
Snoop are you saying you've never sold a domain for profit after you've held it for an extended period of time?

No, I'm say in .tv people often hold portfolios of names that do not make money. If you own 200 names and lose money each year (even if you sell some) that end result is never likely to change.

•••
No, I'm say in .tv people often hold portfolios of names that do not make money. If you own 200 names and lose money each year (even if you sell some) that end result is never likely to change.

Hmm, in .tv or domains in general?

I suppose it's similar to owning a stock which continuously decreases in value. There is the chance though that it could skyrocket under the right conditions. The only way to realize a profit is to hold it for the long haul sometimes.

•••

Losing money is bad regardless of the extension. I'm sure you can find people who make money with just about any extension and lose it as well.

•••
The issue of portfolio / inventory management is relevant to all domainers and yes for .TVers, more critical due to less robust demand for the extension, higher renewal costs and virtually nonexistent parking revenue. Snoop doesn't like .TV and likes to bash the extension. This week DNJ reported sales of $20K for Pilot.tv and $7k for PuertoRico.tv. Those sales likely cover quite a few renewal fees. But a .TV domainer does need some end user sales and needs to carefully review their holdings because 40 poor-quality domains are $1000 annually in renewals.

•••
This week DNJ reported sales of $20K for Pilot.tv and $7k for PuertoRico.tv. Those sales likely cover quite a few renewal fees. But a .TV domainer does need some end user sales and needs to carefully review their holdings because 40 poor-quality domains are $1000 annually in renewals.

Pilot.tv sounds like a good sale. Puertorico.tv though had been registered for 11 years @ $110/yr so whilst it is a profit on a single name basis of about $5000 I still wouldn't say it is a good example for people investing in this area, particularly considering where the industry has gone since 2000.

---------- Post added at 07:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:06 PM ----------

Losing money is bad regardless of the extension. I'm sure you can find people who make money with just about any extension and lose it as well.

I think it is particularly the case with .tv where people are willing to hold names at a loss (for all the reasons I stated above).

---------- Post added at 07:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:10 PM ----------

Hmm, in .tv or domains in general?

I suppose it's similar to owning a stock which continuously decreases in value. There is the chance though that it could skyrocket under the right conditions. The only way to realize a profit is to hold it for the long haul sometimes.

Owning say 100 worthless names is different to owning a a stock that is decreasing in price. The stock is actually worth something, there is capital value. I'd compare to it say owning a business that loses money every year, why run it?

Disagree with the idea of just holding and hoping "for the right conditions", in this industry nobody really survives any length of time that way. I can't recall any large .tv investors from say 2000 who are still in it today. They dropped all their names long ago. Eventually the credit card runs dry or the wife takes it away.

Last edited:
•••
No they aren't likely.

I think it is particularly the case with .tv where people are willing to hold names at a loss (for all the reasons I stated above).
So they did open their books?

I can't recall any large .tv investors from say 2000 who are still in it today. They dropped all their names long ago.
How are people that dropped out years ago relevant to a discussion of the now?

•••
How are people that dropped out years ago relevant to a discussion of the now?

Because keithmt said "The only way to realize a profit is to hold it for the long haul sometimes."

People simply can't sustain losses over long periods of time, eventually they run out of cash/credit which is why the people who were losing money in .tv 10 years ago dropped out within a few years. The people who are losing money today will eventually drop out as well.

•••
...I'd compare to it say owning a business that loses money every year, why run it?

For a long time,
I heard, Yelp.COM hasn't turned a profit yet...
FourSqure hasn't turned a profit yet...
FaceBook hasn't rurned a profit yet...

Why run it?

Internet rule #1: It's okay to lose money,
as long as it's on purpose.

Relax & take it easy brothers :).

•••
Because keithmt said "The only way to realize a profit is to hold it for the long haul sometimes."

I suppose that's a true statement for some.

Most would be foolish to register a domain today and expect to realize a profit tomorrow. So Snoop, in your opinion, what is the correct amount of time to hold a domain before giving up on it?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back