Dynadot

advice 2 new issues when choosing a new domain

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

guillon

Established Member
Impact
In the past, new domains didn't exist and choosing the right domain name was...simple.

With new gTLDs, those not familiar with spending enough time to hunt for the right domain name will probably want to read this before they got for a ... ".com".

With new gTLDs, we face a new problem: some extensions are available in singular and in plural but also, some can be very similar one to the other.

I wrote an article about this for those interested. I suggest to check the list I created about similar new gTLDs.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Not only that.
singular
plural
overlapping extensions ie .pictures .pics vs .photo .photo
equivalent strings in foreign languages ie .property .properties .immo
+ possible future extensions...

•••
Thanks for the link to your article, guillon. I came across the article a week or two ago, but did not realize it was you and you were active on NamePros (maybe include an authorship byline in future posts on the site?).

Good points in your article which I agree with, as well as the addition noted by Kate.

I am not sure what ICANN was thinking when they allowed both singular and plural forms of names, as it just creates confusion, or forces companies to register both of a pair, which in some cases is a significant annual cost for a small business.

•••
No one had imagined that it could have happened (Singular / Plural TLDs). Things should be different in the next new gTLD application round according to the new gTLD working group dealing with this issue.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back