IT.COM

.info 2 Dashes .com vs no dash .info

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Hello guys,

If you found a 2 dashed .com(keyword-keyword-keyword.com) and a no dash .info or .org (keywordkeywordkeyword.org) with quite a nice amount of searches. which one would you go for?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
2 dashed is bad but still .com
not an easy question , the org will look more pro , so if u care about branding going with 2 dashes is a bit spammy

•••
thanks rep added!

honestly 2 dashes doesnt appeal me but i like a domainer's or seo expert point of view on this one as i see tons of regged multi dashes domains even on lower extensions. do those even sell? :P

•••
but i like a domainer's or seo expert point of view on this one

That's like saying "I'd like to hear the opinion of banana farmers and plumbers..."
They aren't the same thing.

For SEO, dashes are fine since search engines ignore them- in a few isolated cases, they're even beneficial. From the human side, people really don't seem to like them. Studies have been done, behaviors have been monitored...

•••
One or two hyphens in a domain won't in itself affect search engine rankings (more than 2 is thought to raise a "possible spam" flag), but unless it's a really AMAZING domain they will make it next to impossible to sell.

•••
No doubt the dashes are positive for SEO purposes, but people tend to link this kind of domains to spammers! So I wouldn't go for it.

•••
if a domain has 3 hyphens, i would not perceive it as being a spam domain.

so i wonder who started that bs rumor

i've sold .org domains with 3 hyphens and have a few .com's and.net's with 2 and 3 hyphens that get some traffic and revenue.

the key is in the keywords of the domain, if unsure...get the .org and info, along with the com if you're going to develop a site.

you can forward the other domains to the .com.

if you're buying them for parking, then consider how well the terms go with the extension when considering .org and .info

imo...

•••
If you found a 2 dashed .com(keyword-keyword-keyword.com) and a no dash .info or .org (keywordkeywordkeyword.org) with quite a nice amount of searches. which one would you go for?
Neither. I would keep on moving. Many domainers put way too much weight on search numbers.

I'm not saying don't look at search data of areas that you are not familiar with (it's a great way to research what is popular online in general), but your domain choice usually shouldn't hinge on it matching a popular search string.

Obviously if you want to spend the money on OldCars .com or something like that, you are getting both the keywords and a brand. But developing on something like Really-Hot-Dresses .com because you think it'll bring more SE traffic than a zero search brandable.com IMO will result in an overall traffic loss. There is a reason why big companies spend five or six figures for branding firms to come up with their product names.

•••
If you want to develop the name, I think the best choice is the .com version, the second best is the .org if it fits.

•••
Yahoo already blocks their ad feed from parked domains with more than one hyphen. I can imagine that it won't be too long before they stop indexing multiple hyphen domains all together.

•••
why not buy all 3? less than $30 yr

•••
Yahoo already blocks their ad feed from parked domains with more than one hyphen. I can imagine that it won't be too long before they stop indexing multiple hyphen domains all together.

How do you know this?

•••
How do you know this?

John:

The information was confirmed to me by the execs at a large parking company that uses a Yahoo feed. In addition to blocking the feed from domains with multiple hyphens, they are also in the process of blocking their feed from all cctld domains including *.us. There is a move to get this practice reversed, but as of now, Yahoo's resolve remains.

•••
does the keyword(s) work well with .org? if not then go with .com

•••
thanks for all the input guys, decided to skip the name for name and reg 2 names instead. but i think id go with .com since .info is still not so good this days.

•••
Are you talking about just buying the domain and holding on to it? Or using it for a legitimate purpose? If the latter, I would take the shorter dot-org... assuming for a hobby site or non-profit business. If not, I would take the .com.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back