IT.COM

150 Ways to Show You're a Newbie.

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
============
Update: We're doing great, getting closer and closer to 150 tips!

If you want some really helpful advice, take a look at post #60 by "armin":
armin said:
Since you posted this topic, that makes you a noob. AHaH

============

In keeping with the spirit of IconPack's 150 Domaining Tips thread, I thought I'd make a thread where everyone can post their biggest pet peeves and annoyances with newbies. That way, new members can learn what not to do, or can at least be sent to this thread if they do something annoying.

Rules:
  • Keep it short.
  • Keep it NamePros forum specific.
  • Be nice. This isn't a thread to bash new members, it's a place to post advice.
  • Try not to duplicate other people's posts.

I'll start:

My biggest pet peeves are:

1) When someone argues with people replying to their appraisal request.
2) Misleading or ambiguous (vague) thread titles.
3) People begging for reputation points.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
132) replying to and carrying on 8 month old threads :P

•••
First off, I think a lot of what has been posted in the early stages of this thread doesn't really have anything to do with being a newbie. For instance:

JBebbington said:
6) When they think Their Name is worth $20k because it "luks kool"
7) After you point out they won't get reg fee for it, they tell you "u obviusly dont no wot ur tlkin bout lol just dnt pst here no more"

Are we claiming that all newbies are illiterate?

A lot of domaining is common sense, IMO. Its fairly easy to learn the basics, I guess you just need a lot of persistence on top of that.

Secondly, and more importantly, I think if we ever want to learn anything we should accept that we don't really know anything. There is no such thing as a newbie, IMO we're all learning, all the time.

133) Thinking you know everything.

•••
134. parking domains at SEDO and checking "Offers received" 10 times a day
135. noting "Premium Generic Domain Name for sale! 100,000,000+ searches in Google!" while not using quotes in Google
136. don't know about redirection like 301 (fake Alexa Rank, fake pagerank).

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back