IT.COM

Newbie with domain to sell (Bluecheck.com)

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

RobTheCoder

Impact
Hi all,

I'm totally new here. I registered the name "bluecheck.com" twenty-two years ago for an idea that never took off. The term has some meaning today that it didn't have back then.

I'm looking for advice about how to sell/auction this domain. Is there a good forum to start? My biggest question is about what I can likely obtain. GoDaddy gives it an automated appraisal of $6,000, but I have no idea if that's accurate. (I could post this question to the "appraisal" board, if that's the best place.)

Thanks for any suggestions/tips!

Rob

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Welcome to NP!

So, do you have to sell right away? I'm assuming you have never simply put up a for sale "landing page" ? Have you ever had anyone show interest by email?

If you can wait, I'd recommend signing up at Dan.com and putting up a "make offer" landing page and let it simmer for at least another year. This is the route for retail / end user pricing. Another option is Squadhelp.com brandable marketplace. Commision is higher but you get more exposure.

If you need a quicker sale then in forums you would get wholesale offers mostly. Auctions can be risky unless you set a reserve.

As far as godaddy's appraisals - those are just ballpark estimates at best. When I checked godady appraisal for your name just now I got 9.4k.

If you go to dotdb.com and type in your domain you will see the other extensions that are registered. Go to each one and see what sort of development is happening. A simple google search shows the .me extension has a business. Do some sleuthing and see if any other businesses are using that term. Selling to a business would be "end user" pricing and the more businesses that use that term the more standing you have to price it higher. Since you have owned it for a very long time you shouldn't have any trademark issues. Overall, I'd err on the side of having a buyer come to you if you are not in a hurry to sell.

•••
It's a really good name! Dan Make Offer is the best way to test the waters for a year, then decide

•••
Thanks! No, I never considered a "landing page." That's a great in-between suggestion. I don't have any idea of what it's worth, and I realize that any automated, algorithmic price from GoDaddy is going to be a "wild-ass guess." I'm viewing an auction as a good way to get a "fair price." However, I don't want to sell it at a firesale price.

(I suppose the price for any domain is something of a WAG. The fair price is whatever someone is willing to pay at the moment.)

Until recently, I used GoDaddy's anonymity service, so people couldn't reach me even if they wanted to. I created a separate email forwarding for the domain a few months ago, and I've received a few inquiries, but I've been afraid to respond.

I hadn't even heard of Dan.com before. It looks great! I'll look into that more.

•••
I'm also LOLing about accuname's *very accurate* comment about trademarks. Here's the true backstory:

I graduated from the Georgetown Law class of 2000. I'm also a coder. While I was going to law school, I worked on a concept that was something like a spell-checker or grammar-checker for legal briefs. The legal standard is called "The Harvard Law Bluebook." Hence the name.

I applied for and earned a patent for the issue, but earning a patent is different than bringing a successful idea to market! It's still on the back-burner. I also know that trademarks are just trademarks that can be replaced. (US Patent No. 7,028,259.)

I then went on to practice trademark, copyright, and patent litigation for ten years, so I'm pretty confident that the trademark rights aren't an issue! However, it's a wonderful point to raise.

•••
Sounds like you are in a nice position to capitalize fully on the value in your domain. Given your legal background your knowledge would be an asset to our forum too if you reviewed and got to know domain name laws - especially UDRP.

As for past people that showed interest through email you could contact them back and just simply say "hello, thanks for your previous interest. I've decided to put this fine domain up for sale and am taking offers in the range of ... x,xxx - xx,xxx". See what sort of response you get. As my unofficial appraisal, if I owned it I'd quote 25k for any inquiries - but if someone inquires I'd err on them making a first offer. That's kind of is also based on if all the research for that term turns up more businesses and developed sites using that term than just the .me. But you never know so can't hurt to start with a price you really want.

Last edited:
•••
•••
Welcome!

Figure 15-25k if you want a quick sale. 15-20% broker commission.

It's a 65-125k name if you wait 7-15 years

Last edited:
•••
•••
Welcome to NP!

Congratulation on having such a gem name. Godaddy valuation is normally based on their own expired domains sale record which most of the time is wholesale price and doesn't consider 90% sell that happened in the private. Therefore many times they are 10-100 times deviate from the actual sale price.

For any good domain, the main price differentiating factor is the Owner and his financial status. If you do not want to sell then you can command a premium even for an average name however if you are desperate you may sell your premium domain at through away price.

Having said that this domain is very relevant as Blue Check or Tick mark is a new fashion and on-demand in social media post-NFTs euphoria, especially on Twitter and Elon Musk has planned to introduce the paid feature in the future. This will strengthen your online identity "Avatar" with authority to avoid any scam and establish your genuineness. I guess this trend will pick up once Instagram will lead to the Meta initiative and other players like MS and Google will enter the market. I will value this domain in the range of US$88K to 150K with 5-10 years of long-term prospects. Best wishes!

(Assuming business as usual situation for web2 for next 10 years and there won't be any web3 or web5 disruption in the near future)

Last edited:
•••
Welcome!

Figure 15-25k if you want a quick sale. 15-20% broker commission.

It's a 65-125k name if you wait 7-15 years

I second this. Definitely put up a Dan for sale landing page too.

•••
Welcome onboard. Its a highly brandable name. I would recommend listing it in major marketplaces.

•••
•••

cartoon-military-general-salute.jpg

•••
Hello, post it in the marketplace.

•••
•••
That's a really nice domain! Welcome to NP!

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back