Dynadot

Got bit by the GoDaddy 30 redemption.

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

WhoaDomain.com

WhoaDomain.comTop Member
Impact
So I'm still trying to understand the whole new process for redemption over at GD

Before you could transfer out domains before 42 days after expiration.

Now it's within 30 days.

Before after 42 days you still have couple more days to pay $80 to redeem or usually for good customers or domains where no one has bid on it at auction they will charge only $40.

But now this 30 recovery includes the redemption process.

I had a domain go over this new 30 period by 2 days I had tried to transfer it out but by this 2nd day after the 30 days. GD had switched the whois info already to GD so the receiving registrar couldn't do the transfer.

It got a bid at auction.

And I even tried to bid on it but there was an automatic bid on it which kept beating me.

The domain is out of my account and the hands of the new owner.

Find out later what the website was.

The website States they own the trademark which was the Exact Match for my domain!!

My domain was registered on 3/2017
Their trademark? 1/2018

(Damnit!! Did not check uspo.gov!)

I have spoken to icann and filed a complaint. They told me that regardless of Godaddy's new 30 day redemption, the rules are still that it is this 30 days ( or 45 at other registrar's) plus another 30 days for the losing domain owner to be able to pay a redemption fee to recover an expired and in redemption domain.

So any advice? Am I going to be able to get back a domain that's already in someone else's account?

@Joe Styler

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
So I'm still trying to understand the whole new process for redemption over at GD

Before you could transfer out domains before 42 days after expiration.

Now it's within 30 days.

Before after 42 days you still have couple more days to pay $80 to redeem or usually for good customers or domains where no one has bid on it at auction they will charge only $40.

But now this 30 recovery includes the redemption process.

I had a domain go over this new 30 period by 2 days I had tried to transfer it out but by this 2nd day after the 30 days. GD had switched the whois info already to GD so the receiving registrar couldn't do the transfer.

It got a bid at auction.

And I even tried to bid on it but there was an automatic bid on it which kept beating me.

The domain is out of my account and the hands of the new owner.

Find out later what the website was.

The website States they own the trademark which was the Exact Match for my domain!!

My domain was registered on 3/2017
Their trademark? 1/2018

(Damnit!! Did not check uspo.gov!)

I have spoken to icann and filed a complaint. They told me that regardless of Godaddy's new 30 day redemption, the rules are still that it is this 30 days ( or 45 at other registrar's) plus another 30 days for the losing domain owner to be able to pay a redemption fee to recover an expired and in redemption domain.

So any advice? Am I going to be able to get back a domain that's already in someone else's account?

@Joe Styler

Never, 99.999999999% once it leaves your account. Sorry, tough loss, especially since it was on the end user's radar, most likely after you renewed they would have reached out.

•••
Bastards. Icann seemed a bit more optimistic given the link they gave me. But I'm not optimistic.

https://www.icann.org/resources/pages/gtld-lifecycle-2012-02-25-en

To be honest. I had listed the domain on here to ask opinions on it.

Many dissed it and laughed at it. Saying it's worthless . This is partly the reason I wasn't too intent on renewing it or transferring it. But last minute I figured to transfet it. While transferring the receiving registrar said the whois had been changed and they cannot proceed unless my info was on there.

Thing that bugs me is if the domain truly wasn't mine anymore why was I still able to get to unlock it and get auth codes?

Can someone take a look at the icann link above?

Do I have grounds based on that icann link to get it back even if it means shelling out $80?

•••
Bastards. Icann seemed a bit more optimistic given the link they gave me. But I'm not optimistic.

https://www.icann.org/resources/pages/gtld-lifecycle-2012-02-25-en

To be honest. I had listed the domain on here to ask opinions on it.

Many dissed it and laughed at it. Saying it's worthless . This is partly the reason I wasn't too intent on renewing it or transferring it. But last minute I figured to transfet it. While transferring the receiving registrar said the whois had been changed and they cannot proceed unless my info was on there.

Thing that bugs me is if the domain truly wasn't mine anymore why was I still able to get to unlock it and get auth codes?

Can someone take a look at the icann link above?

Do I have grounds based on that icann link to get it back even if it means shelling out $80?
You are probably looking at that 0-45 day grace period, which is likely up to the registrant. Anything godaddy does they have to fact check with a team of lawyers, so most likely they covered themselves within that 30 day renewal clause. Just go register some new domains, it will make you feel better.

•••
I posted an article on it here on namepros and also on godaddy community. The short answer is you have 30 days if you do not renew your domain by day 30 you may no longer have the opportunity to do so.

Here is my original post.
We are making a change to our domain name expiry process and wanted to give you enough notice to make decisions on your portfolio.

GoDaddy is changing the domain renewal timeline from 42 to 30 days for most domains. Based on our research, less than 1% of our customers renew after 30 days.

Starting Dec 5, the following changes will happen to expired domain names:

• After Day 5 of expiration, DNS, email, hosting, redirecting and any other DNS-dependent services will be interrupted and stop working.

• After Day 30 of expiration, domain names are no longer able to be renewed or transferred away.

We wanted o give a heads -up so you have enough notice to make decisions on your portfolio.

•••
I agree Godaddy have made it very clear about 12 day renewal then a further 18 days to pay out 70 bucks to renew at Godaddy.

I just wish they would stop playing around with the 20% discount renewal codes. either give them to loyal members or don't.(as a fool i've been with them almost since the beginning) then at least I can do all my switches to Namecheap in bulk,

•••
You are probably looking at that 0-45 day grace period, which is likely up to the registrant. Anything godaddy does they have to fact check with a team of lawyers, so most likely they covered themselves within that 30 day renewal clause. Just go register some new domains, it will make you feel better.
You are probably right.

•••
I posted an article on it here on namepros and also on godaddy community. The short answer is you have 30 days if you do not renew your domain by day 30 you may no longer have the opportunity to do so.

We are making a change to our domain name expiry process and wanted to give you enough notice to make decisions on your portfolio.

GoDaddy is changing the domain renewal timeline from 42 to 30 days for most domains. Based on our research, less than 1% of our customers renew after 30 days.

• After Day 5 of expiration, DNS, email, hosting, redirecting and any other DNS-dependent services will be interrupted and stop working.

• After Day 30 of expiration, domain names are no longer able to be renewed or transferred away.

We wanted o give a heads -up so you have enough notice to make decisions on your portfolio.

I understand that GoDaddy made these changes and also that what GoDaddy does is totally up to them so long as they give customers good enough time ahead notice.

But doesn't the rules of icann still apply to all registrars to some degree?

If not then it's all just chaos isn't it?

I've spoken to Icann about this and as far as they are concerned, yes GoDaddy can change their 42 days to 30 days. But the Icann rep said that even after that 30 days the registrant should still have an extra 30 days on top of that to be able redeem a domain albeit at a higher rate.

Can you clear this up? When an Icann rep is that sure of themselves in stating this then......

Well I'll leave it here.

Hope you can clear this up.

Again it is understood that to avoid this problem again. I should renew or transfer out in plenty of time before time is up.

•••
Not to kill a dead horse over and over again.but...

I'll just add this photo here if no one wants to follow the link for it to the Icann website.

gtld-lifecycle.jpg

Ok there you go.
So where exact does the new GoDaddy 30 day recovery/redemption policy fit in here?

If the 42 days to be able to transfer a domain out is now 30 days? Then what about the 30 days after that 30 days where Icann clearly calls it "redemption period"?

Did GD basically take it upon themselves to combine the 30 days redemption with their new 30 recovery and able to transfer out policy?

I keep hearing the Icann rep use the words.

"In Breach of contract"

Is GD in Breach of contract with this? I don't know. That's what I'm here to find out. If no? Then no harm no foul.

It's situations like this that has made me decide to transfer out all my CheapDomain domains.

Also, you all probably thinking why don't you just transfer out before something like this happens?

Well I am on top of this.

Except sometimes ( not sure) but some domains when I pull up my expired lists sometimes are not pulled up with the expired lists. So I transfer out and only later find out via CheapDomain cancellation email that a domain that I know I should have transferred out just be looking at it someone fell thru the cracks.

It is usually a domain that I knowingly wouldn't forget to transfer.

The only thing i can think of is that it wasn't shown to me on my expireds list. So I did not order a transfer for it.

But I can't prove that.

Imagine going thru your expired domains list? You are focused. Got your triple espresso and ready to work on transfers. But the expired list is conveniently missing some valuable domains?

Then you later get a cancellation email with domains you never would have let go.

Then you have a choice. Pay the $80 redemption fee or let it go.

Since then I have checked my expired lists soon after transfers are completed.

Anyways. I'm sure this can be figured out. I just need someone to take the time to explain it to me.

If someone can provide the link to the GD section that shows domain lifecycle I'd appreciate it.

Thanks.

•••
Here is the current GD lifecycle explained:
https://www.godaddy.com/help/what-happens-after-domain-names-expire-6700

What happens after domain names expire?

Once a domain name expires, it goes through many stages before being released to the open market. GoDaddy sends five renewal emails to the GoDaddy account owner prior to the expiration date. Below is a timeline based on .com domain names.
Note: These timelines do not apply to ccTLD domain names.
Days after expiration Action
Day 1 We make the first of three billing attempts to renew the domain name. If the billing fails, the domain name expires and the domain is parked. The domain name can be renewed by the registrant at no extra cost.
Day 4 We make the second billing attempt. The domain name can still be renewed by the registrant at no extra cost. Any website or email services associated with the domain name may be interrupted.
Day 12 We make the third and final attempt to renew the domain name. The domain name can still be renewable by the registrant at no extra cost.
Day 19 The domain name can be renewed by the registrant for the cost of a one-year renewal plus an $80 redemption fee.
Day 25 We add the domain name to an expired domain name auction.
Day 31 The domain may no longer be redeemed.
Day 36 The expired domain name auction ends. If there are no backorders and no bidders in the expired domain name auction, we list the domain name in a closeout auction.
Day 41 The closeout auction ends.
Day 42 We return the domain name to the registry. The registry may hold the domain before releasing it for general registration.
Note: A registrant can renew an expired domain name at no extra cost up to day 18. If they renew an expired domain name anytime between day 19 and day 42, they must also pay an $80.00 redemption fee. The domain name might not be available for renewal after day 30. If the domain is available for renewal and redemption from the registry after day 42, the $80.00 redemption fee is still applicable.

ICANN allows a registrar to define terms of Registration Agreements, which allows the registrars to sell expired domains without giving the 30 day RGP (Redemption Grace Period)

Pretty much GD pays for your renewal exactly at expiration and as a result, you are subject to their terms after that.

https://www.icann.org/resources/pages/errp-2013-02-28-en
1.2. If a domain name registration is modified pursuant to a term of the registration agreement authorizing the modification of registration data in relation to the expiration of the registration, the RAE is the entity or individual identified as the registered name holder immediately prior to that modification.

https://www.godaddy.com/agreements/showdoc.aspx?pageid=REG_SA
If you fail to renew your domain name in the timeframes indicated in this Agreement, you agree that GoDaddy may, in its sole discretion, renew your expired domain name on your behalf. If GoDaddy decides to renew your expired domain name on your behalf, you will have a Renewal Grace Period during which you may reimburse GoDaddy for the renewal and keep your domain name. The Renewal Grace Period is currently twelve (12) days but subject to change under the terms of this Agreement. . . . If you do not reimburse GoDaddy for the renewal during the Renewal Grace Period your domain name will be placed on Hold and flagged for deletion after which you may have up to a 30-day redemption period to redeem your domain name, provided that your domain name is not subject to an expired domain name auction bid and you pay GoDaddy a Redemption fee. The Redemption fee is currently $80.00 USD and is subject to change under the terms of this Agreement. If you do not redeem your domain name prior to the end of the 30-day redemption period GoDaddy may, in its sole discretion, delete your domain name or transfer it to another registrant on your behalf. During the redemption period your domain name may be parked.

If your domain name is deleted, the Registry also provides a 30-day Redemption Grace Period during which you may pay GoDaddy a redemption fee and redeem your domain name. The redemption fee is currently $80.00 USD and is subject to change under the terms of this Agreement. If you do not redeem your domain name prior to the end of the Registry's Redemption Grace Period the Registry will release your name and it will become available for registration on a first-come-first-served basis.

•••
Here is the current GD lifecycle explained:
https://www.godaddy.com/help/what-happens-after-domain-names-expire-6700

What happens after domain names expire?

Once a domain name expires, it goes through many stages before being released to the open market. GoDaddy sends five renewal emails to the GoDaddy account owner prior to the expiration date. Below is a timeline based on .com domain names.
Note: These timelines do not apply to ccTLD domain names.
Days after expiration Action
Day 1 We make the first of three billing attempts to renew the domain name. If the billing fails, the domain name expires and the domain is parked. The domain name can be renewed by the registrant at no extra cost.
Day 4 We make the second billing attempt. The domain name can still be renewed by the registrant at no extra cost. Any website or email services associated with the domain name may be interrupted.
Day 12 We make the third and final attempt to renew the domain name. The domain name can still be renewable by the registrant at no extra cost.
Day 19 The domain name can be renewed by the registrant for the cost of a one-year renewal plus an $80 redemption fee.
Day 25 We add the domain name to an expired domain name auction.
Day 31 The domain may no longer be redeemed.
Day 36 The expired domain name auction ends. If there are no backorders and no bidders in the expired domain name auction, we list the domain name in a closeout auction.
Day 41 The closeout auction ends.
Day 42 We return the domain name to the registry. The registry may hold the domain before releasing it for general registration.
Note: A registrant can renew an expired domain name at no extra cost up to day 18. If they renew an expired domain name anytime between day 19 and day 42, they must also pay an $80.00 redemption fee. The domain name might not be available for renewal after day 30. If the domain is available for renewal and redemption from the registry after day 42, the $80.00 redemption fee is still applicable.

ICANN allows a registrar to define terms of Registration Agreements, which allows the registrars to sell expired domains without giving the 30 day RGP (Redemption Grace Period)

Pretty much GD pays for your renewal exactly at expiration and as a result, you are subject to their terms after that.

1.2. If a domain name registration is modified pursuant to a term of the registration agreement authorizing the modification of registration data in relation to the expiration of the registration, the RAE is the entity or individual identified as the registered name holder immediately prior to that modification.

https://www.godaddy.com/agreements/showdoc.aspx?pageid=REG_SA
If you fail to renew your domain name in the timeframes indicated in this Agreement, you agree that GoDaddy may, in its sole discretion, renew your expired domain name on your behalf. If GoDaddy decides to renew your expired domain name on your behalf, you will have a Renewal Grace Period during which you may reimburse GoDaddy for the renewal and keep your domain name. The Renewal Grace Period is currently twelve (12) days but subject to change under the terms of this Agreement. . . . If you do not reimburse GoDaddy for the renewal during the Renewal Grace Period your domain name will be placed on Hold and flagged for deletion after which you may have up to a 30-day redemption period to redeem your domain name, provided that your domain name is not subject to an expired domain name auction bid and you pay GoDaddy a Redemption fee. The Redemption fee is currently $80.00 USD and is subject to change under the terms of this Agreement. If you do not redeem your domain name prior to the end of the 30-day redemption period GoDaddy may, in its sole discretion, delete your domain name or transfer it to another registrant on your behalf. During the redemption period your domain name may be parked.

If your domain name is deleted, the Registry also provides a 30-day Redemption Grace Period during which you may pay GoDaddy a redemption fee and redeem your domain name. The redemption fee is currently $80.00 USD and is subject to change under the terms of this Agreement. If you do not redeem your domain name prior to the end of the Registry's Redemption Grace Period the Registry will release your name and it will become available for registration on a first-come-first-served basis.

Thanks Usernamex. I guess I'm screwed.lol

But there is this below.

Redemption Grace Period

3.1. With the exception of sponsored gTLD registries, all gTLD registries must offer a Redemption Grace Period ("RGP") of 30 days immediately following the deletion of a registration, during which time the deleted registration may be restored at the request of the RAE by the registrar that deleted it. Registrations deleted during a registry's add-grace period, if applicable, should not be subject to the RGP.

3.2. During the Redemption Grace Period, the registry must disable DNSresolution and prohibit attempted transfers of the registration. ICANN-approved bulk transfers and permitted partial bulk transfers are not subject to the prohibition of attempted transfers. The registry must also clearly indicate in its Whois result for the registration that it is in its Redemption Grace Period.

3.3. Registrars must permit the RAE to redeem a deleted registration during RGP (if RGP is offered by the respective registry)

And then this.

2.1.2. If a registration is not renewed by the RAE or deleted by the registrar, within five days after the expiration of the registration, the registrar must transmit at least one additional expiration notice to the RAE that includes instructions for renewing the registration.

I just checked. I did not receive the secondary final email to renew the domain. At least I can't find it honestly. But I'll keep checking.

And then there is the matter that Everytime I ever had a domain go into redemption. This particular domain. I never got a Cancellation Email on the supposed day that I could no longer transfer out the domain.

And GoDaddy can't seem to forward me THAT cancellation email.

They did send me the cancellation on that particular domain with a bunch of other cancelled domains weeks later.

I know it's a thin case but if the registrar did not send me that cancellation email then the registrar system understood this domain was not cancelled and technically should still be able to be redeemed or transferred.

I find it hard to believe such a sophisticated outfit like GD can't forward cancellation emails that shows time stamp that it was really sent.

But we'll see what Icann think.

I'm prepared to accept whatever they decide.

•••
Not to kill a dead horse over and over again.but...

I'll just add this photo here if no one wants to follow the link for it to the Icann website.

gtld-lifecycle.jpg

But I can't prove that.

Imagine going thru your expired domains list? You are focused. Got your triple espresso and ready to work on transfers. But the expired list is conveniently missing some valuable domains?

Then you later get a cancellation email with domains you never would have let go.

Then you have a choice. Pay the $80 redemption fee or let it go.

Since then I have checked my expired lists soon after transfers are completed.

Anyways. I'm sure this can be figured out. I just need someone to take the time to explain it to me.

If someone can provide the link to the GD section that shows domain lifecycle I'd appreciate it.

Thanks.

I'm not a lawyer so I don't think I should be answering things like this. What I can say is we have a lot of lawyers on staff as well as policy people with ICANN and they were intimately involved in making the decision. They have made sure we are within our rights.

Thirty days is plenty of time to renew a domain. It is much less than 1% of our customers who renew domains after day 30. We also did a lot of things to help people understand their domain is expired besides emails we change the DNS on all services, email, websites, etc to show that things are broken and help gain the attention of the owner so we can get them to renew the domain. I would be surprised if you did not know your domain was expired before day 30. Our main goal is and has been to get the original registrant to renew the domain names they want to keep. To that end we call, email, interrupt service etc to get people to notice and renew the domains they want to keep.

•••
I've said it before and I'll say it again...

If you don't want your names to expire, renew them before the years registration is up. It literally could not be any simpler lol.

•••
I've said it before and I'll say it again...

If you don't want your names to expire, renew them before the years registration is up. It literally could not be any simpler lol.

Lol
Thanks captain obvious!

I said this already from the beginning that I could have avoided this by renewing.

But like I said believe it or not I did not see these particular domains in my expired list and then out of no where I just end up domains are cancelled .

I'm pretty on top of getting domains transferred. But if the domain isn't shown in the expired list at the time I am choosing which domains to transfer. Then that's not my fault. This has happened a couple of times already and had to pay to get them redeemed.

This is why I'm leaving this registrar for another one.

I guess I'll have to see what Icann says given the unique situation.

Leave it up to God I guess.

•••

Duplicate Post

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back