sales You have to know what you own - DWN.com sells for 2,999 Euros

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

equity78

Top Member
TheDomains Staff
TLDInvestors.com
Impact
You have to know what you own, or ask someone. What in my opinion is the best value buy of the year took place on Sedo this week. DWN.com listed as buy it now for 2,999 Euros was scooped up quickly by a Chinese registrant. I verified this with Sedo for 100% accuracy. So there is no conspiracy here. The seller was Data Warehouse Network out of Cork, Ireland. Here is the thing they got acquired by another … [Read more...]

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Crazy $hit....

I have come across deals like that in the past, but move along quickly.

99% of the time it's either a stolen name or a scam.

I fell for it once years ago with Godaddy, and my funds ended up being tied up.

It was a mess.

Congrats to the buyer though!

•••
After RQH.com sold for $2,000 a few years ago, I started checking the LLL.com buy it now on Sedo, but not every day.

I always thought about writing python script that would scan for gems like this every hour and would send me an eMail/text when it popped up, but I thought that nobody would be that ill-informed to list such a name at low prices.

I will be writing that script tonight for sure.

Huge win for the buyer. Bigly.

•••
So I test-listed DWN.com (and a couple of other LLL's) to Sedo to see what their pricing engine suggests.

It suggests, drumroll, €2,999.

(Other LLL's were in the same order of magnitude.)

Last edited:
•••
They need to remove that price recommender immediately. That's pathetic.

•••
Right James, they had a DWN.com email address, so they must have just looked at all those emails as spam.

After RQH.com sold for $2,000 a few years ago, I started checking the LLL.com buy it now on Sedo, but not every day.

Did you find many false flags? That would be my concern searching through BIN lists. Tying up my cash repeatedly on the hope that the listing was legit.

•••
Crazy find. Just about fell off my chair when I read this! You have to wonder what the seller was thinking... Or maybe there was an error in the list price? Something tells me we haven't heard the end of this...

Congrats to the buyer... But at the same time I feel like the buyer should have offered more than what it was listed for; while fully knowing the potential value of the name. Estibot's valuation; which shouldn't even be considered as the end all be all, valued this name at $67,000.

Once the seller finds out the true value of that name he/she just might end up depressed or down right angry; I know I would be...

Last edited:
•••
Crazy find. Just about fell off my chair when I read this! You have to wonder what the seller was thinking... Or maybe there was an error in the list price? Something tells me we haven't heard the end of this...

Congrats to the buyer... But at the same time I feel like the buyer should have offered more than what it was listed for; while fully knowing the potential value of the name. Estibot's valuation; which shouldn't even be considered as the end all be all, valued this name at $67,000.

Once the seller finds out the true value of that name he/she just might end up depressed or down right angry; I know I would...

You're a better person than I am... If someone offers me something dirt cheap and it's legit, I'd take the money and laugh my way to the bank... Just being honest!

•••

Once the seller finds out the true value of that name he/she just might end up depressed or down right angry; I know I would be...

No way to do that on Sedo, it was listed as buy it now, you click buy it now and the transaction starts.

•••
•••
I still don't fully believe this. Think about it, this lady figures out how to list the domain at Sedo with a Buy It Now price but doesn't take the time to figure out what it's worth. I think there is much more to this story.
@TheLegendaryJP If there is anyone that can figure out the real story it's you.

•••
tumblr_mf7p94EbDW1r1s7izo1_500.gif

•••
Seems like an easy way for whoever programmed the system to snap up gems. :)

I checked a name they sold this week VictoriaCapital.com for 15,000 Euros, suggested $799.

•••
why would someone use escrow, if trading between friends? Same company? :)
If the seller has to report the sale to the company, he'll sell it for cheap to a friend i.e for 3000 Euros. The amount goes to the company.
Now that his friend owns the name, they both can sell the name in the future for 50000 Euros. 50000 - 3000 Euros = 47000 Euros.

And that's how it is done.

•••
If the seller has to report the sale to the company, he'll sell it for cheap to a friend i.e for 3000 Euros. The amount goes to the company.
Now that his friend owns the name, they both can sell the name in the future for 50000 Euros. 50000 - 3000 Euros = 47000 Euros.

And that's how it is done.

Why make it public then? I don´t see that point
You make it too complicated.
it was either
1) Mistake, they didn`t know value
2) Someone stole it. and sold.

•••
I don't think the liquidation process is so easy and involves only one person... :)
Actually intellectual properties such as domains are pretty small issue in big companies. It's only a big issue when they have to acquire it because money.

•••
The seller thinking "I made some great cash selling that thing" So dont spoiler their happiness with an email lol

•••
That's right you have to go to the source. While many domain owners are unaware of value, all LLL.com holders must have been spammed to death by domainers :) Even if their holders didn't realize the value, by now they should.
It's hard to believe they haven't been slammed with spam in the past, or their antispam is actually doing a good job lol.

A very important reason to keep your whois info up to date as well. If she had done so she would be richer for it, sad.

•••
I'm sure as soon as it was listed it was sold. You can't tell me that a company the size of Sedo with it's many employees that some employees there don't have some type of alert within their system when good names come up cheap. Especially as simple as it would be to create some script just for short domains. There are way to many smart people out there for this not to occur. I'm sure within minutes a buddy alerted another buddy with a, BUY BUY BUY BUY!!!!

•••
How I wish I was that lucky buyer... He was at the right place, right time, right opportunity.

•••
Was the domain sold via Sedo Escrow or Sedo.com?

If it was sold by Sedo Escrow it probably was traded from one person inside the company to himself or a friend.

Oh boy... I guess anything is possible...

•••
Ok MYSTERY SOLVED! I just spoke with Diana Pitcher and it WAS a good sale, name was NOT stolen and she literally just had no idea it was worth approx 20X more :(

So that's that, good sale, uninformed seller, sounded like a very nice lady and she just did not know the names market value.

Unbelievable... You are legendary indeed... Well done!

•••
Could it be a money laundring event?

He actually paid $3000 from legit money and 97k from Black Money?

PS: Just a simple possibility, Nothing more.

•••
Well I do not believe that is what happened here, it is a possible way to launder money, sure.

•••
It's a good bargain as bargains go

But 3k euro etc the buyer could make 4000%? Interest which is nice work if you can get it

But I did something similar this year

I sold an $18000 domain for 0.99p eg $1

•••
Address changed from a DWN to another email at the beginning of March. I'd still guess they would have had a few offers via email between the beginning of march and the sale. Can't believe they could view all enquiries as spam.

Right changed recently, I am talking in 2015 you figure they got a lot of offers.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back