sales You have to know what you own - DWN.com sells for 2,999 Euros

NameSilo
Watch

equity78

Top Member
TheDomains Staff
TLDInvestors.com
Impact
You have to know what you own, or ask someone. What in my opinion is the best value buy of the year took place on Sedo this week. DWN.com listed as buy it now for 2,999 Euros was scooped up quickly by a Chinese registrant. I verified this with Sedo for 100% accuracy. So there is no conspiracy here. The seller was Data Warehouse Network out of Cork, Ireland. Here is the thing they got acquired by another … [Read more...]

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Ok MYSTERY SOLVED! I just spoke with Diana Pitcher and it WAS a good sale, name was NOT stolen and she literally just had no idea it was worth approx 20X more :(

So that's that, good sale, uninformed seller, sounded like a very nice lady and she just did not know the names market value.

•••
which one.jpg

prices.png

•••
*cue 500 people searching through Sedo's BIN listings*

Great sale for the buyer. Can't believe the seller wasn't aware of the market price. They must've received daily offers in late 2015

•••
I called her and JP called too and got through so legit sale.

•••
I hear ya guys and I expressed my reservation on thedomain.com about it. However TheLegendaryJP is tired at the moment and billion dollar companies are generally not who I fight for ;) not to say I am not tempted to dig deeper.

I have always said if there are red flags there is trouble, where there is smoke, fire type thing so I am 50/50 on this one tbh. Some things make sense and some don't. Really good questions should be answered....

1. WHO sold it?
2.Did that person have legal right to?

You could go further like how long on sedo before found, how couldn't she know it's value. Maybe her internet was disconnected 12 years ago and she just got it back.

Last edited:
•••
It looks like Data Warehouse Network was bought by Sybase years ago, and a couple of years ago SAP bought Sybase. SAP did 25 billion dollars in revenue last year.

Stock price: SAP (NYSE) $98.49 +1.14 (+1.17%)

I don't think anyone's going to be crying about the loss. Probably an inside job between friends. :)

•••
Impressive! Congrats to the buyer. Wish it was me

•••
We're talking about SAP the huge software company? It had $22,062,000,000 in revenue last year and is valued at $120,000,000,000 in the stock market. This is more like a $40,000 slip-up. It's like a bartender spilling a drink at a restaurant or something in terms of impact on the company. But I do agree maybe someone could get fired but I doubt they will. $40,000 could pay someone's salary for a year.

•••
This just goes to show you that there is a lot of money to be made with domain names. The majority of domain owners are not domainers and are clueless as to what their domains are worth. With a pool of 125 million .coms to choose from there are many bargains to be had directly from the source.

•••
I was using the term casually yes, whom ever could have been richer ;)

Now who the owner was 100%, no idea. One could figure that out as well, call former owner, the buy out company, have the lawyer to check the agreement to see if the domain was part of the sell or not and so on.

I have caught and nailed many thieves, ex employees and former admin's are a norm.

So I ran a scenario through my head, if I were her and she wanted to steal the name and sell for herself she would have known it's value, otherwise why even have the thought, right.

I chose today to think good of someone, rare day let me have it LOL

•••
Maybe the seller accepted Sedo's auto valuation price suggestion.

•••
•••
I still don't fully believe this. Think about it, this lady figures out how to list the domain at Sedo with a Buy It Now price but doesn't take the time to figure out what it's worth. I think there is much more to this story.

•••
That's crazy! Great move on the part of the buyer! The seller could have made alot more!

Thanks for the info.

•••
Like winning from the lottery.

•••
*cue 500 people searching through Sedo's BIN listings*

Great sale for the buyer. Can't believe the seller wasn't aware of the market price. They must've received daily offers in late 2015

Right James, they had a DWN.com email address, so they must have just looked at all those emails as spam.

After RQH.com sold for $2,000 a few years ago, I started checking the LLL.com buy it now on Sedo, but not every day.

•••
Years ago, there was a very nice LLL.com that had expired. So I contacted the company who owned it, the lady at the other hand hung up on me :xf.frown:
A few days later it sold for 60K+ at Snapnames.

Also years ago, a company let ZL.com expired. It sold for 40K at NJ if I remember well.

Some companies don't realize the money they are throwing away.
This case is surprising because whoever listed the domain obviously knew it had value.
I am wondering if that person was qualified and authorized to liquidate that corporate asset. Could be a rogue IT employee.

There are known examples of domain names stolen and resold by employees. Example: sofa.com
People leave companies, and after one or more mergers it's not surprising that companies lose sight over their (unused) domains.

•••
That's right you have to go to the source. While many domain owners are unaware of value, all LLL.com holders must have been spammed to death by domainers :) Even if their holders didn't realize the value, by now they should.
It's hard to believe they haven't been slammed with spam in the past, or their antispam is actually doing a good job lol.

•••
I never asked Nat, she seemed like a nice lady and when she asked me "what is it worth" it didn't strike me as someone who sold it without permission or personal gain because that type of person would have known its value, right.

Now in saying that how she came to selling it or if she had a legal right to, no idea.

Id like to think a little good of people and am giving her a benefit of the doubt on this one.

•••
lol and now we have a reference. You can now contact LLL.com holders and offer them 6000$ stating that DWN.com sold for 3000$ only and you're offering the double :D

•••
That's crazy! Great move on the part of the buyer! The seller could have made alot more!

Thanks for the info.

Irish company established in 1993 regged the .com in 1996, acquired by Sybase in 1999. So someone just overlooked this and someone there listed on Sedo 2,999 Euro buy it now, I verified with Sedo, they went back and took a look. Crazy, if they were paying attention in 2015 that name gets what $80,000 without trying, probably $100,000 plus.

•••
I would say over 100k based on the letters, domain history and comparable sales. Unbelievable! The buyer must be on cloud 9. Just made an easy, overnight 75k.

•••
•••
It's a wonderful find.

I wonder how many times the buyer pulled the trigger on things like this before only to be let down and have their funds tied up. If the answer is a high number, then it makes this all the more impressive.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back