NameSilo

Yahoo: Making Own Search Engine

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Raf

Established Member
Impact
SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - Internet media company Yahoo Inc. on Wednesday said it was switching to its own Web search technology and dropping its use of competitor Google Inc.

The widely anticipated announcement marks the unwinding of a long-term relationship between Yahoo, operator of the world's most-visited Internet properties, and Google, the No. 1 Web search provider.

The friendly partnership evolved into an intense rivalry as Google's popularity soared and Web-search advertising revenues, which traffic providers like Yahoo share with search companies, boomed.

Google is expected to go public later this year. Company representatives did not immediately return calls seeking comment.

Yahoo recently has made major investments in the sector with acquisitions of search provider Inktomi and Overture Services, a key Web-search advertising company.

Its conversion project began late Tuesday night with the U.S. Yahoo site and will continue over the next several weeks as the Sunnyvale, California-based company moves its international properties to its own search product.

Upon completion of the transition, Yahoo will power nearly half of all Web search queries in the United States through its own sites and those of partners like Microsoft Corp.'s MSN Internet service, Jeff Weiner, senior vice president of Yahoo search and marketplace, said.

Yahoo's global reach, combined with its technology, position Yahoo to "change the game in search," Weiner said.

For its part, Microsoft is also throwing its vast resources behind a project to build search technology of its own.

Maybe Yahoo will make their own CPC (Cost Per Click) kind of program when they create their own search system, similiar to Google's Adsense Program. That might be something interesting to think about since Google basically dominates the Search Engine world. :gl:

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I thought Yahoo bought Google?.. How could it be their competitor?

•••
Thats the news that I recieved from Reuters, seems to be accurate from what I am seeing on other news sites. :)

•••
Yahoo and Google are two different companies.
Yahoo uses Google's search results currently and so
does a lot of other big company's.

It will be good to see something new and add a little
variety to the market imo.

•••
Yahoo is no longer using Google's results. That's the point of the above article. The change went into effect this week. You can already see changes and they will be more dramatic next month I think.

•••
u thought yahoo stopped using google a long time back apparently i was wrong

•••
Maybe Yahoo! will turn out better than it is right now, Im looking forward to any CPC programs don't you think guys?

•••
Thanks for the news post.

•••
gah my site isn't listed on yahoo.

•••
They always seem to do things too late and non-smoothly, in my experience.

•••
Thanks Raf for the info,

Kept us updated on this matter.

•••
No problem guys, when I get more information I will try my best to post it here. :)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back