Domain Empire

new gtlds .XYZ set to be TOP extension in 2 years time! OFFICIAL Countdown and celebration thread

NameSilo
Watch
This may be news to some people, but I have been lovingly informed many times that .XYZ is going to overtake .COM as the top extension online within 2 years. Here is but a few:

xyz will be the first choice next 1 -2 years
I'll bet you right here on this date that XYZ will grow bigger than .com in the next two years, and then you, my friend, will have nothing but regret.

Well, I know that most people on here won't want to miss the boat on this one, so this thread can serve as a tracker for .XYZ's great rise to greatness and hegemony 🏆!

People said that when .top was the number 1 new GTLD in terms of registration count for a few months at least, that it meant it was going to be the top one overall, but unfortunately that didn't happen, >>all of the signs were there<<, but now LITERALLY ALL of the signs are there for XYZ and we're going to make sure it's on track. This thread is going to serve as undisputable proof of such signs to show that it's on track to being #1.

.XYZ has a chance because it's three seldom used letters at the end of a domain instead of a word like .TOP (or worse, the sickening and wholly useless .COM 🤢, for which it is now impossible to find a good domain) and domainers are saying it is so more often this time than with .top and they are more invested this time than ever before, so it must be true and who am I to say otherwise?

So this is it people... by posting this thread I am starting the:

2 YEAR OFFICIAL COUNTDOWN 🔢 TO XYZ's METIORIC RISE TO THE TOP 💥.

Post rules:
I would appreciate it if you could keep all posts in this thread to factual and numeric updates on the meteoric rise of .XYZ so that it can be understood by all. It is not a debate thread, nor is it to discuss whether or not this is going to happen, that is cut and dried now - it's happening, I have been told too many times. 2 years and it's done, we can put it to bed, I'll have egg on my face but we can all get on with our lives and make a killing as we've all been warned now.

NO thanks ❌
- Debates
- Slating .XYZ
- Lies

YES please ✅
- The number of days counting down to 24th August 2024
- Cold hard figures from reputable source(s) that compare .XYZ to .COM to show the progress of the inevitable and METIORIC RISE of .XYZ. Including but not limited to counts of: total registrations, developed domains, parked domains, registrations per day, sales figures and likelihood of reaching goal
- Include sources
- Whether it is on track to being the TOP extension or not given the figures

NB: The examples given are for representative purposes only, please don't goad them, this post isn't intended to target them, it's not that serious.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Days remaining (source):
732 days to go! 🥂🎉

Total .XYZ registrations: 4,201,922 (source)
Total .COM registrations: 159,601,512 (source)

Percentage to goal of total hegemony (source): 2.633%

Outlook to success:
bleak
It's not the amount
You are missing out big time
The use of XYZ is in the hands of very large entities and for very large purposes of technological developments / crypto / metaverse and blockchain and more... these niches add up to a market of over a trillion dollars in the coming years and this is the huge difference
New generation users with new goals and new investments all draining under XYZ

•••
Is there anyone other than domainers buying .xyz domains? I’ve never seen a company use the extension for a product or service.

•••
Thank you for sharing this.

One of these is wrong, as one shows 11,331,136 registered domains and the other shows 4,852,822.

https://domainnamestat.com/statistics/tld/xyz-TLD_ID-1179
https://ntldstats.com/tld/xyz

Can we work out which one is correct or incorrect and why?
I am about 99% sure that ntldstats has the correct numbers. It has been the most accurate in the past.

I am not sure what is going on with the other site. It shows inflated counts for every extension.

For instance .COM shows 223M. .NET shows around 20M when it is more like 13.2M.
Those numbers are just wrong across the board.

https://domainnamestat.com/statistics/tld/others

Brad

Last edited:
•••
Seriously, who cares. Sell what you have, invest in what you believe in, users and buyers will rest the case.

Anyone saying .xyz, or any other extension for that matter, will overtake .com is full of hooey. The Internet even in 20 years time will never see the proliferation that it enjoyed in a single extension with another extension in terms of adoption simply because of the options available now.

It's great to be optimistic, but keep it realistic. And that includes cynical threads started by someone who doesn't even invest in dot-xyz. The premise is based on personal bias partly grounded in off-handed and obviously ridiculous remarks by users who have nothing to lose in terms of accountability to what they post.

And now you're walking the same path.

Meh. This thread should be in the break room.

•••
I mean, I do see that there are a few random companies using it, mostly all non-English speaking. I admit that I am surprised there are any companies using it at all. XYZ to me really doesn't convey a sense of "business" and seems more suited to an information site (ABC sort of implies the beginning of knowledge about something, and XYZ seems to imply the completion of that knowledge. But when I look at https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=site:.xyz I notice 3 of the first 10 links do not even use the roman alphabet, so these subtle meanings relating to the western alphabet might be lost in translation.

You can't really go by the number of domains at all because there have been XYZ sales all over the place for like $1 so this has created a flood of one-time registrations.

I think there is -zero- chance of it overtaking COM. That's just based on the simple fact that everyone in the world today knows that most people use and prefer COM for business. Even in entry-level computing textbooks it teaches about COM, NET, and ORG, and what each represents. Most people alive today grew up during the ".COM Boom" in the 90s, so-called because companies -only- used .com. There seems to be a lot of hype around XYZ in the domain world right now, possibly due to heavy marketing, but I am skeptical that we will still be talking about crazy XYZ sales 5 years from now. I also think that recent NFT.XYZ $8M offer was fake. I could definitely be wrong about all of this though, it wouldn't be the first time. I wish you guys the best of luck with all of this.

Last edited:
•••
Thursday 22 August, 2024. It's a date!

•••
https://www.spotvirtual.com/blog/the-perils-of-an-xyz-domain/

I'd recommend reading the whole article, not just the quote below:

The Perils of an .xyz Domain​

What if I told you there was a way to instantly increase your email deliverability, website accessibility, the number of social media posts, and the customer perception of your brand? We just did exactly that by switching our primary domain from spot.xyz to spotvirtual.com.

Initially, the allure of a four-letter domain was strong. The .xyz extension was also fitting–Spot being a 3d virtual workplace in the browser–as it pertains to the multi-dimensional nature of our product. Moreover, surely choosing the same top-level domain as Google’s parent company, Alphabet, has been using for years is a relatively safe choice for our application? Unsurprisingly, this turns out to not be the case.

Not all top-level domains (TLDs) are created equal and some are much worse than others. We suspected as much, but we didn’t know how to quantify the risk when we were making this decision. In this post we lay out the impacts that having a .xyz was having on our business and hope to simplify the decision for other companies in the future.

Once we switched over to spotvirtual.com, not only did the anecdotal experience drastically improve, but we were able to quantify this based on some of our emails which were tracked. After switching, our initial email open rates rose from 70% to 86%, second email open rates rose from 50% to 72%, and overall meeting conversions rose from .1% to 3%! This improvement alone is worth the domain switch.

•••
I look at those CRAZY sales of "new" extensions like xyz (here at reported name sales, or at opensea for .eth),
and I much rather would be one of these holders of xyz / eth names, than of tlds that are not hyped (and priced) as much... atm.

All a question of frequency:
If net or org domains would sell that frequently to such high amounts, I'd rather be on that side.

So, rather then to look at 'how many websites run which tld',
it'd be better to look at the domain sale statistics, regarding:
a) frequency - how often?
b) price - how much?
c) which tld's are prefered by new tech?

However: it does not mean that holding .org or .net domains in general is a bad idea...
it's just a question of 'when & at which price will they sell'?

Last edited:
•••
I look at those CRAZY sales of new extensions like xyz (here at reported name sales, or at opensea for .eth),
and I would like to be one of the sellers...

All a question of frequency:
If net or org domains would sell that frequently to such high amounts, I'd rather be on that side.
Startups aren't interested in .net as it's seen as antiquated. They would rather invest in .Io . co .xyz and .org (esp Crypto companies). Even .network and .tech seem more popular for tech companies than .net

•••
Lol. Good laugh thread. As stated previously.

Though,

Did you read the article above? In case you missed:

https://www.spotvirtual.com/blog/the-perils-of-an-xyz-domain/

What glory??? Email services treat it as spammer domain extension. SMS services won't even show the messages that contain it. General population doesn't think well of it.

It is hyped within a hyped little industry and once that is over, it is gone.
Recons, who and what is spotvirtual and how do they define an entire extension by a blog post? I mean like seriously, email, sms, whatever else, and the general population are just fine with dot-xyz. What planet are they living on and why are you choosing to reside there?

I have more dot-coms blocked than any other extension, ever.

•••
These are the breakdowns of .XYZ by last new addition of the 01 August 2022 domain names in the zone. Basically, it is backstepping the zone across the period in which the gTLD has been live.

gtld - 2014 - 2015 -2016 - 2017 - 2018 - 2019 - 2020 - 2021 - 2022
.XYZ 0.50% 0.62% 0.61% 0.87% 1.23% 1.65% 3.73% 41.80% 48.99%

The .COM is somewhat different.
3.35% 3.88% 4.44% 5.42% 6.38% 7.76% 11.51% 19.30% 13.78%

The Y2 (new in the last 2 years for .XYZ is 90.79% (of the zone).
The Y2 (new in the last 2 years for .COM is 33.08%. (of the zone).

The .COM has a depth that .XYZ does not have yet. Though .XYZ is outperforming some of the other new gTLDs, it is not a .COMkiller just yet. It is not a perfect metric but strong TLDs tend to resemble each other and TLDs using discounting tend to have different characteristics to the legacy gTLDs.

Regards...jmcc

Last edited:
•••
The table with most deletions being from 1-2 year old names could be explained by ... quality. The older names tend to be of higher quality, so no one will drop them over 14.5% price increase. While those 2020, 2021 handregs are, for most, totally replaceable and harder to sell (if owned by reseller)
The typical first year renewal rate for .COM is between 54% to 57%. When the Covid deletions started hitting the zone, the first renewal year rate dropped to close to 50%.

Discounting plays a far bigger part in non-renewals than domaining. With a discounted registration, the renewal is typically at full fee. If the registrant hasn't developed the domain or used it, it is easier for them to drop it rather than renew it. The registry and the registrars use it as a means of acquiring customers and then upselling them on hosting and other services. Discounted registrations don't renew at the same rate as full fee registrations. Domaining is only part of the .COM ecology. Due to Covid, the years 2020 and 2021 were abnormal for .COM and many other TLDs.

There is also the war in Ukraine and its effect on energy prices. That's already impacting hosting fees. It is also impacting the cost of living and some electricity suppliers in Europe have already increased prices by over 30% for domestic users. That economic effect will feed into the gTLDs and the ccTLDs and domain names that may have been marginally profitable in terms of parking may get dropped by domainers but outside Domaining, there is going to be a lot of rationalisation of registration portfolios by small businesses. For a registry, losing domainer registrations is not a problem. When a TLD starts to lose small business registrations, it generally worries the management because a fall in Web Usage generally follows due to disappearing websites.

Regards...jmcc

•••
just an obversation I want to share here:

Very often, com/xyz names are taken, while no one seems to care about net/org.
Anyone made the same experience?!

Seems to be due to the low-cost fee for xyz ($2) I guess... compared to net/org.

That's just an example, but it happens to me once in a while to see the same with other names.

web3digi.png

Last edited:
•••
just an obversation I want to share here:

Very often, com/xyz names are taken, while no one seems to care about net/org.
Anyone made the same experience?!

Seems to be due to the low-cost fee for xyz ($2) I guess... compared to net/org.

That's just an example, but it happens to me once in a while to see the same with other names.

Show attachment 222478

Org seems to be more attractive generally than .net, esp since Crypto companies have used .org (in addition to nonprofits).
Org also seems more 'authoritative' than net which screams 'old fashioned'.

•••
•••
I have been realistic and this thread is intended to be exactly that! Figures, facts about XYZ to drive out the reality of the situation. This thread is needed.

To be fair you don't know what names I have, xyz or otherwise. Though I don't go around telling everyone exactly what names I've got, I can say that I use figures as my guide about what to invest in and what not to, I don't use how many threads/posts there are on Namepros, how many sales one seller or anecdotes about other's sales or whether someone has a "hunch" about it.

So for this post, it's already been useful. We've established that one person who keeps saying XYZ is really rising has based their opinion from figures that are simply wrong from domainnamestat.

Unfortunately this is only anecdotal. It's no use. As per the thread rules please provide figures that we can verify so that we can track it over time and compare them to .com so that we can confirm that XYZ is on track to hit the 2 year hegemony.
NameBio.com for aftermarket sales stats (the reported ones at least)
Alexa rankings (RIP) for popularity - always showed .xyz as #1
w3techs.com for popularity - shows .xyz as #1
ntldstats.com has the real registration numbers
gen.xyz/blog - new real users posted every week
gen.xyz/live - more real users
google "site: .xyz" - pages indexed in Google
https://www.spamhaus.org/statistics/tlds/ - abuse statistics (.xyz is low, generally ranked around .com)

There are a lot of stats out there to show the growth :)

•••
Spot is actual business that is providing the actual data from experimenting with both .xyz and longer com

I have zero reason to doubt that they did not make up the data and they have no reason for this.

.com blocks are domain specific based on their history.

.xyz, on the other hand, is often blocked by default. Because most business have a) ZERO partners, suppliers, clients that use .xyz b) just putting the rule "if email from *@*.xyz, then delete" could cut considerable amount of spam and malware.
you can't call it actual data - it's an experiement of 1 with no control.

nothing you say is factual. what lazy sysadmin blocks a whole TLD by default. only the dumb ones. if you think email filtering is that easy, please take my job. I'd be curious if you can provide any real facts.

•••
I am 99,9% certain that .COM will remain the TLD king in 2024.

Still, I am happy that .XYZ made 2022 one of my best year as a domainer ever, even if I was lazy.

Last edited:
•••
There won't be any domainer here, who can show a niche (strange) keyword sale in .xyz for high 5 figure.

For obvious reason, i don't report anymore. It was xyz while other .ext are available for reg fee.
Holographer xyz
$28K
Japan-based optical imaging web3 lab. Meta app and the projectors (toys) themselves are manufactured by a third party. In pre - production / development state. Last year, the company (different name) raised $37M.

Due diligence vs Guess.

Regards

Last edited:
•••
a lot that has happened with the ultra supreme domain name

HOLOGRAPHER .xyz

to this day...

worth, sit tight, 28 THOUSAND DOLLARS. (not verified)

(like, literally nothing).

or was it just an april fool joke?!

Will watch on...
Seriously, you should stop with domaining/flipping or learn more about the processes, branding, brand protection etc. and become an effective long-term domain name investor.

The buyer/s can do wathever they want. Especially, big companies s.a. MS, Apple, IBM, etc (tons of domains not in use).

Last year sold y/o/v/e/r/s/e/./c/o/m for $5K. The buyer go public months later.

Regards

•••
lol way to zoom in so far that 4mm + looks like zero
Not really if you know how to read a graph.

The point is that since this thread started it's gone down, not up.

•••
Zone file counts are a bit more complex than that in that the drops seen in 2023 are mainly from new registrations during 2022. The domain name life cycle is approximatel 14 months with the grace periods. The .XYZ uses a heavy discounting model to drive registrations so most new registrations from 2022 will be deleted in 2023. Price increases may have an impact but the deletions from the previous year will have a greater one.

Regards...jmcc
According to ntldstats.com .xyz dropped 98,859 domains today. What's your take on that? Thanks

•••
According to ntldstats.com .xyz dropped 98,859 domains today. What's your take on that? Thanks

That's 1.64% of the total registrations...

18,228 contain the word "metaverse".
14,969 contain the phrase "web3".
24,706 contain the word "crypto".
26,232 contain the word "ape".
Probably the now worthless metacurse etc regs

•••
As people tend to ask me...

There is ONLY one thing that has disturbed me:

Domaining is something, you do on your own - as individual.

If now someone comes along, and regs 20 thousand dictionary words in one single TLD (!)

this solely reminds me of the behaviour of a big corporation, a big shark...

and there is nothing I can't stand more, than letting a big corporation eat the whole lunch.
and letting nothing over for the crowd.

THAT is the reason, why I am obset.

Regging 20 thousand dic. words is in my eyes no more domaining, it is sheer corporate behaviour.

And then you have some, from your industry, that applaud this maniac behaviour... :xf.rolleyes:

We live & work in a field, where individualism is a high value.

Not respecting that, is not a good trait imo.

Thanks.

Last edited:
•••
As people tend to ask me...

There is ONLY one thing that has disturbed me:

Domaining is something, you do on your own - as individual.

If now someone comes along, and regs 20 thousand dictionary words in one single TLD (!)

this solely reminds me of the behaviour of a big corporation, a big shark...

and there is nothing I can't stand more, than letting a big corporation eat the whole lunch.
and letting nothing over for the crowd.

THAT is the reason, why I am obset.

Regging 20 thousand dic. words is in my eyes no more domaining, it is sheer corporate behaviour.

And then you have some, from your industry, that applaud this maniac behaviour... :xf.rolleyes:

We live & work in a field, where individualism is a high value.

Not respecting that, is not a good trait imo.

Thanks.

Sometimes there's a small window with big opportunity.

She can't be held accountable for the mere fact others didn't recognise it.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back