Domain Empire

discuss Would you spend $10,000 USD on single domain/multilple domain investments

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

LiamShiff

Established Member
Impact
if you had 10k to spend on a single domain/multilple domain investments:

1.would you actually buy domains?
2. Where would you look?
3. What type of domain would be yhe best value in your opinion?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Idk... I think you guys are crazy but I respect your point of view ;)

When I look at whether something's price is based on speculation or utility I consider everyday use.
- I can buy a piece of land and try to resell it for a profit but its better to build something on it and then sell it.
- I can buy a .COM and try to resell it for a profit but its better to build something on it and then sell it.
- I can buy a cryptocurrency and try to build something on it but the chances of it increasing the value of the coin are very slim. This makes it more speculative than something you can control much easier like a domain name or a piece of land (my opinion).

When I think of cryptos and domains I think of it this way:
BTC = .COM
ETH = .NET
LTC = .EDU
XRP = .GOV
XTZ? = .ORG

To me these are the best domains compared to the best cryptocurrencies/tokens.
- The top-level domains have better established themselves over a longer period of time as digital assets and are less likely to fail or be overtaken than the cryptocurrencies on the list.
- Second-level domains, like most cryptocurrencies, are very risky bets and I can see how you would consider them very speculative but I haven't seen something as overproduced and overbought than 95% of altcoins since the baseball card bubble of the late 80's early 90's.

I think both markets can be considered highly speculative but it depends what you do with your investment. If you are planning on building on it, having some control over your investment, then I think domain names are less risky than cryptocurrencies.

•••
Name a coin that gets used for settlement or a token used for smart contracts in your everyday life. There are none. Even bitcoin is the equivalent to digital gold and similarly lacks any kind of everyday utility. People buy bitcoin because it’s a hedge to government issued fiat due to its lack of counterparty risk.

On the other hand I can buy a great domain name and know I can build something on it and it will actually have an end user.

Not talking crap about crypto at all. I have been a big part of it since 2013 but I can’t think of any market more speculative at the moment.
I don't want to debate or argue with you. Bitcoin is used for settlement and payments all the time and the evolving space has so much going on, it's not productive to try and encapsulate in a paragraph. Crypto in 2018 might be like the internet in 1996-1999 from where I sit.

•••
I don't want to debate or argue with you. Bitcoin is used for settlement and payments all the time and the evolving space has so much going on, it's not productive to try and encapsulate in a paragraph. Crypto in 2018 might be like the internet in 1996-1999 from where I sit.

Definitely agree. At this stage in the development of Crypto we've essentially just scratched the surface of something that could be as limitless as the internet itself.

•••
Definitely agree. At this stage in the development of Crypto we've essentially just scratched the surface of something that could be as limitless as the internet itself.
Our generations huge offering to the world, sound money (and ushering in mainstream adoption)

Last edited:
•••
I would spend a lot of time looking for a LLL.com, you still can get them for around 10K if you look hard enough

If not, invest in some brandable, pronounceable LLLL.com names with good letters (Cato, Mota, Bino, Tuno, Taxo etc)

Email existing owners looking for bargains, I very rarely buy dropping names, if the name was that good, it wouldnt be dropping, there are obviously rare exceptions to that rule

how exactly do you find names to email their owners , i mean you just look up what's in your mind ?or is there another way , for example yesterday when I read this I thought let me take a look at every registered domain about a specific keyword , so I went to expireddomains.net and used their "related domain" tool

but the problem is you can't filter those huge lists (I had about 320 k domains only in .com for my keyword)

do you have another way ?
Thx

•••
how exactly do you find names to email their owners , i mean you just look up what's in your mind ?or is there another way , for example yesterday when I read this I thought let me take a look at every registered domain about a specific keyword , so I went to expireddomains.net and used their "related domain" tool

but the problem is you can't filter those huge lists (I had about 320 k domains only in .com for my keyword)

do you have another way ?
Thx

I often Google with this code:
inurl:keyword

It will find your domain keyword "in url"

Last edited:
•••
how exactly do you find names to email their owners , i mean you just look up what's in your mind ?or is there another way

Ive purchased LLL names by having every LLL combination on a spreadsheet
With columns for owners name, owners email, domain age etc
I have then emailed each one individually (from WHOIS) and asked them if the name is for sale and the asking price

I have done the same with LLLL brandable names as well, only decent names obviously

With keyword names, you really have to find some names you personally think are good names, you cant go through 320k list of names, 99% of those will be rubbish anyway, if you are looking at certain niche, rather find words that match that niche, for example, if I am after another cloud name, I look for related keywords like Storage, Server, Solution, Services, Security, Hosting etc and just email those ones

This is very time consuming by its worth it in the end when you buy a really good name at a bargain price

•••
I often Google with this code:
inurl:keyword

It will find your domain keyword "in url"
yes but I think all the results will be developed domains that are not likely for sale

•••
Ive purchased LLL names by having every LLL combination on a spreadsheet
With columns for owners name, owners email, domain age etc
I have then emailed each one individually (from WHOIS) and asked them if the name is for sale and the asking price

I have done the same with LLLL brandable names as well, only decent names obviously

With keyword names, you really have to find some names you personally think are good names, you cant go through 320k list of names, 99% of those will be rubbish anyway, if you are looking at certain niche, rather find words that match that niche, for example, if I am after another cloud name, I look for related keywords like Storage, Server, Solution, Services, Security, Hosting etc and just email those ones

This is very time consuming by its worth it in the end when you buy a really good name at a bargain price
What tool do you use to get the list of emails on whois? I assume it’s a mass tool that does it automatically

•••
1.Yes
2. Everywhere when I can find awesome domains at low price. Auction/Namepros/Drop/whois
3. Great brandable 4L .com - TwoWord .com - 5L .com. It all depends on the domain itself and the price you get.

•••
I would spend a lot of time looking for a LLL.com, you still can get them for around 10K if you look hard enough

If not, invest in some brandable, pronounceable LLLL.com names with good letters (Cato, Mota, Bino, Tuno, Taxo etc)

Email existing owners looking for bargains, I very rarely buy dropping names, if the name was that good, it wouldnt be dropping, there are obviously rare exceptions to that rule
Find me the 3L’s for 10k and I’ll pay you a 2k finders fee ;)

Last edited:
•••
Thanks....don't need luck.Obviously you don't know me, lol! I already have someone who has invested 20K in me and my portfolio. Maybe you'll want to visit me and my team in August to see how it's done. Here's where my domains will be on display: http://myrtlebeachworldamateur.com/
@Bulloney - Not sure I fully understand the strategy...Care to elaborate?

•••
My answer to 1 will probably not be well received by a domain community :xf.wink: but...

1.No, I would invest most of the $10k in low cost index ETFs (conservative I know)

2., 3. If I was going to invest in domains with that much, I would first spend a lot of hours at Namebio, etc. and consider what strengths I have, and then narrow to a few niches that I have expertise and evidence suggests sales possible.
I would search dropped list and auctions for com/org/net, attractive ngTLDs if I can get a great match of first word and extension, and look at what is being sold here. I would be patient though, and probably wait for quite a while before finding just the gem. Ideally I would spread the $10 k among a few names (diversify), but not a huge number. Once I bought name(s) would work hard on trying to sell them quickly, and then promote those funds into more domain purchases.

Good luck!

•••
@Bulloney Welcome back. On the other hand, can you share with us how many .today domains you sold?

On topic: I'll buy few pronounceable LLLL.com

•••
@Bulloney - Not sure I fully understand the strategy...Care to elaborate?

Josh...I'll throw you a bone....first off, if you don't know anything about golf, or the profile of the "average" amateur golfer in the world, of which there are 60 Million of us, the rest is moot. You may recall me saying that I've carved out several "niche" industries to which my domains will be sold. 90% of the domains I own fall under the Financial Services Industry, ie. .loans, .mortgage .finance etc., the healthcare industry, ie. .care, .healthcare, .clinic etc., the general business industry, ie. .consulting, .business, .partners, .group, etc.Then I've targeted specific area's like, .Boats, .Yachts and .Golf. (all big money industries)

As for .Golf, a well recognized company in the domain industry has agreed to partner with me to showcase my domains at the largest amateur golf tournament in the world in August. Any idea why they might want to do that Josh? A hint I'll give you is that I've also partnered with a female golf professional who has her PGA certification to help me work my exhibitor booth over four days while the tournament is being played. Many of the players, in addition to being golfers, are lawyers, doctors, realtors, lenders, business owners and high level managers and CEO's.

Josh, I don't mean to be sarcastic with you, but when it comes to marketing I can be pretty creative just like I've been with the 1,400 domain names I've hand registered much to the chagrin of the typical domainer.

Yes, I have 10K invested in my domains, but my business model is such that I've already attracted a few investors who invested in me and my business by buying some of my domains. If you were to buy a $2,500 domain from me, you too could own 1/4 of 1% of Domain Imagination.

Any more questions?

•••
Josh...I'll throw you a bone....first off, if you don't know anything about golf, or the profile of the "average" amateur golfer in the world, of which there are 60 Million of us, the rest is moot. You may recall me saying that I've carved out several "niche" industries to which my domains will be sold. 90% of the domains I own fall under the Financial Services Industry, ie. .loans, .mortgage .finance etc., the healthcare industry, ie. .care, .healthcare, .clinic etc., the general business industry, ie. .consulting, .business, .partners, .group, etc.Then I've targeted specific area's like, .Boats, .Yachts and .Golf. (all big money industries)

As for .Golf, a well recognized company in the domain industry has agreed to partner with me to showcase my domains at the largest amateur golf tournament in the world in August. Any idea why they might want to do that Josh? A hint I'll give you is that I've also partnered with a female golf professional who has her PGA certification to help me work my exhibitor booth over four days while the tournament is being played. Many of the players, in addition to being golfers, are lawyers, doctors, realtors, lenders, business owners and high level managers and CEO's.

Josh, I don't mean to be sarcastic with you, but when it comes to marketing I can be pretty creative just like I've been with the 1,400 domain names I've hand registered much to the chagrin of the typical domainer.

Yes, I have 10K invested in my domains, but my business model is such that I've already attracted a few investors who invested in me and my business by buying some of my domains. If you were to buy a $2,500 domain from me, you too could own 1/4 of 1% of Domain Imagination.

Any more questions?
Yeh, why so cocky? What have you achieved with domains so far?

•••

Any more questions?
Not sure why you think these Amateur golfers would have any interest in purchasing your hand reg names but I probably don't have a clue what I'm doing ;)

Perhaps you'll be a domain industry pioneer!

Btw - I play golf a lot and was also on the executive team at one of the fastest growing Fintech company's in California. Surprisingly we all had very little interest in non premium domains. We did make multiple premium .com purchases though.

Last edited:
•••
Not sure why you think these Amateur golfers would have any interest in purchasing your hand reg names but I probably don't have a clue what I'm doing ;)

Perhaps you'll be a domain industry pioneer!
You obviously don't know much about golfers, they're all risk takers, and .golf domains aren't the only domains they may be interested in. For instance a chiropractor playing in the tournament may be interested in Spine.Consulting, or a mortgage broker playing in the tournament may be interested in HomeEquity.Loans or an accountant might be interested in TaxRefund.Loans....like you Josh, I probably don't have a clue what I'm doing, but I do plan on coming away with a lot of excellent leads that may result in sales down the road.

Josh...you might do a little digging yourself, and find out who might be partnering with me. Hint, I may even be selling some of their premium domains. Thanks for the inquiry and doubts Josh....you really don't know how much that motivates me.....should I say, thanks a MILLION! Cocky....no!......Confident.....yes!

•••
You obviously don't know much about golfers, they're all risk takers, and .golf domains aren't the only domains they may be interested in. For instance a chiropractor playing in the tournament may be interested in Spine.Consulting, or a mortgage broker playing in the tournament may be interested in HomeEquity.Loans or an accountant might be interested in TaxRefund.Loans....like you Josh, I probably don't have a clue what I'm doing, but I do plan on coming away with a lot of excellent leads that may result in sales down the road.

Josh...you might do a little digging yourself, and find out who might be partnering with me. Hint, I may even be selling some of their premium domains. Thanks for the inquiry and doubts Josh....you really don't know how much that motivates me.....should I say, thanks a MILLION! Cocky....no!......Confident.....yes!
You'll need confidence and to be full of bulloney to make others believe your lemons are good enough for lemonade. It's possible. Good luck

•••

I actually quite like you @Bulloney but you're definitely a bit cocky lol.

I just sold a domain for $9,888 (fast transfer) that was in my wholesale thread on NamePros for $149, so I'm in a pretty good mood right now.

Last edited:
•••

I just sold a domain for $9,888 (fast transfer) that was in my wholesale thread on NamePros for $149, so I'm in a pretty good mood right now.
Good for you Josh...I know I'm not capable of the sale you just made, and I'm reasonably sure you're not capable of the kind of sales and marketing I'm recommending. btw, I'm only recommending it because it's worked for me for the past 50 years. Oh...congrats that you were on a company golf team. Did you own the company, or did you work for the man? There are zero domainers in my .club, and to think, I'm not a domainer either. I wonder how many of the 3,500 amateur golfers from around the world who will be attending the tournament are professional domainers like you? Just curious?

•••

NP price = experienced haggler price minus 25%-50% lol.

•••
Find me the 3L’s for 10k and I’ll pay you a 2k finders fee

I bought one of mine for 9K, its not easy to find them in that range but there are people out there who have owned them for a long time (early 90's) and dont know the value on them. Thanks Josh, but when I find them at that price, I wont be telling anyone :xf.wink:

•••
I bought one of mine for 9K, its not easy to find them in that range but there are people out there who have owned them for a long time (early 90's) and dont know the value on them. Thanks Josh, but when I find them at that price, I wont be telling anyone :xf.wink:
Haha - I know.
I tend to get one per year at what I'd consider a bargain price, but I haven't got one below 15K since 2015.

•••
Haha - I know.
I tend to get one per year at what I'd consider a bargain price, but I haven't got one below 15K since 2015.

Even 15k is a bargain these days :xf.smile:

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back