IT.COM

discuss Will dot-com be old money?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

HotKey

Made in CanadaTop Member
Impact
I mean real, lasting names, not your fly-by-night flips. Will assets in premium dot-com domains be regarded as "old money" into the future? Like families that come from old money, the domains might be considered a source of regarded, privileged digital estate, rooted in history with wealth carried over from previous bloodlines.

Many terms married with dot-com simply can't be beat. Nor should they look to be. They will retain their intrinsic value with internet address synonymy, and perhaps rise even more as the decades move on.

Is dot-com already old money? By all rights it could be. How we currently use the internet would require a radical shift to change it overnight. We may be in the midst of a slow change now, but not one that does without domain names. Still to be passed onto future generations. A long bloodline worthy of respect.

Old money is respectable, new money lets give it a chance. There might be something to it. At the same time, new money tends to come and go, old money, it's called that for a reason, it sticks around if not abused. It is guarded carefully, used wisely. If there's one extension that deserves it, I think it's dot-com. And someday, even what is new and different now, may also become the assets of those long after our stalwart opposition to it.

I have always embraced a good domain name, from Day 1, and have never understood the opposition to good names beyond dot-com. Yes there are nuances and factors to consider when investing regardless of the extension, but at their core we should see the merits of an entire string, and applaud them.

People that gravitate toward something outside a status quo and use it, we shouldn't always compare to what could have been or what what we think should be just because it doesn't align with what we're used to or what others are doing. There's a mouthful, eh? I wanted to put this out there because I truly think that where ever we end up with domain names, we should always have a steadfast extension to look to as things were.

- deep domain thoughts with Hots

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I don't agree! A domain name is only valuable in terms of what the buyer is willin go pay for them. If you have a great domain name with limited liquidity at the right prices, it's difficult for sure!

•••
I don't agree! A domain name is only valuable in terms of what the buyer is willin go pay for them. If you have a great domain name with limited liquidity at the right prices, it's difficult for sure!
So you think some highly sought after dot-coms we have now won't be regarded as an established source of wealth for future generations? Your reply is confusing, what is difficult for sure?

Thanks Abstract.

•••
I think there's a chance that something else will come along that is unexpected that will become mainstream enough and knock .com off it's purch, but I haven't seen anything emerge in such a way that has the chance to do it.

In my mind whatever takes hegemony over .COM needs to enjoy deep seated installation in the minds of the general populous. It needs to be a big craze somehow where it's so compelling that most companies deploy it and switch their sites.

In the instance that this happens I suppose rather than being old money, .COM becomes redundant. A distant memory. .COM does have a chance of becoming old hat, rather than old money in this scenario.

I feel like there's more likely to be an entire paradigm shift in this way rather than .COM being heralded as something great once something else has taken hold.

•••
I think there's a chance that something else will come along that is unexpected that will become mainstream enough and knock .com off it's purch, but I haven't seen anything emerge in such a way that has the chance to do it.

In my mind whatever takes hegemony over .COM needs to enjoy deep seated installation in the minds of the general populous. It needs to be a big craze somehow where it's so compelling that most companies deploy it and switch their sites.

In the instance that this happens I suppose rather than being old money, .COM becomes redundant. A distant memory. .COM does have a chance of becoming old hat, rather than old money in this scenario.

I feel like there's more likely to be an entire paradigm shift in this way rather than .COM being heralded as something great once something else has taken hold.

Very interesting to read that coming from you Mad

Insightful to say the least

•••
•••
•••
Not xyz though, it's for children. 🤗

Hahaha I can live with that ^ my only .xyz domains are wines.xyz and whiskey.xyz

Actually have whiskey at the ROTD auction, so will see what the market holds

•••

Not saying this is the paradigm shift....but could be a glimpse into what could be coming in the future (or something similar).......

"In Web3, your Yat will not only be a universal digital identifier but it can be used as a URL, wallet address and can be minted as an NFT."

"A Yat is a string of between one and five emojis that can be used as your digital username, website URL and payment address for your digital wallet. It’s sort of a cross between a nonfungible token (NFT) and domain address — though not all Yats are tokenized."

https://cointelegraph.com/news/what-is-a-yat-and-why-are-people-paying-425k-for-emojis

•••
.com domains should be rebranded to nothing, such as google instead of google.com. This change could be done by ICANN or an agreement upon all browsers. Apparently, it was previously in the works for Google Chrome, but they couldn't quite agree on it. I bet it is the next big thing to come once agreement is met between multiple parties. This is actually how handshake already operates.

Last edited:
•••
Not saying this is the paradigm shift....but could be a glimpse into what could be coming in the future (or something similar).......

"In Web3, your Yat will not only be a universal digital identifier but it can be used as a URL, wallet address and can be minted as an NFT."

"A Yat is a string of between one and five emojis that can be used as your digital username, website URL and payment address for your digital wallet. It’s sort of a cross between a nonfungible token (NFT) and domain address — though not all Yats are tokenized."

https://cointelegraph.com/news/what-is-a-yat-and-why-are-people-paying-425k-for-emojis
The big problem is that most people don't even know about this kind've thing and there's little that will make them care unless it's useful to them to get to where they want to go.

A list of emojis isn't a thing that makes something easy for anyone so I'm extremely dubious.

•••
.com domains should be rebranded to nothing, such as google instead of google.com. This change could be done by ICANN or an agreement upon all browsers. Apparently, it was previously in the works for Google Chrome, but they couldn't quite agree on it. I bet it is the next big thing to come once agreement is met between multiple parties. This is actually how handshake already operates.
That basically is not going to happen. It would give too much power to whoever "owned" the term and would likely violate many monopoly and anti-trust regulations around the world.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
The big problem is that most people don't even know about this kind've thing and there's little that will make them care unless it's useful to them to get to where they want to go.

A list of emojis isn't a thing that makes something easy for anyone so I'm extremely dubious.
Paradigm shifts don't happen over night :xf.wink:

•••
Paradigm shifts don't happen over night :xf.wink:
Indeed. Whatever it is has to be better and more useful to allow someone to get something done. I don't believe that a list of emojis does either of these things.

•••
Indeed. Whatever it is has to be better and more useful to allow someone to get something done. I don't believe that a list of emojis does either of these things.
Yeah the emoji thing won't be the death of .com or domains in general but as I said something similar will come along and things will change.......eventually, they always do......for now I think .com and domains in general still have a long race to run.....

•••
That basically is not going to happen. It would give too much power to whoever "owned" the term and would likely violate many monopoly and anti-trust regulations around the world.

Brad

.com already has all the "power". This was already almost implemented by Google Chrome, I'd say the pendulum has already started swinging.

By the way, what on earth makes you think this would violate monopoly and anti trust regulations around the world? That does not make sense. Opera, Brave and I think a few other browsers have already started implementing non ICANN DNS's by default. Browser's are free to interpret domain names however they like.

•••
This was already almost implemented by Google Chrome, I'd say the pendulum has already started swinging.
Google tested removing the full domain from search results for certain websites, to poor results. I am not aware of what you are talking about though. Citation please.

•••
By the way, what on earth makes you think this would violate monopoly and anti trust regulations around the world? That does not make sense. Opera, Brave and I think a few other browsers have already started implementing non ICANN DNS's by default. Browser's are free to interpret domain names however they like.
First of all it is not within ICANN's charter to just assign ownership of generic terms without extensions, so that is never going to happen on the standard root servers.

Second, there would need to be a way for these words to resolve which would have to be browser or software specific.

There would certainly be pushback from businesses and from regulatory authorities around the world if they attempted this. Google is already under the microscope because of anti-competitive behavior. I don't expect them to even attempt something like this.

So what are you going to have one person who owns the term in Chrome, another in IE, another in Firefox, etc. That seems rather absurd and impractical.

The entire idea is anti-competitive. Who gets the term? Are there auctions, is it assigned via lottery, is it just assigned if you own the .COM?

The entire concept doesn't make sense as it would largely make search results way less relevant, which is Google's core business model.

For instance if I was searching for "Knives" and it just forwarded to Knives.com, which is some lame lander....How is that beneficial to anyone?

It certainly is not beneficial to the consumer.
It is not beneficial to businesses.
It is not really beneficial to Google either as they are losing ad revenue from the search results.

Extensions add more options, that would just limit options as more and more people come online.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
The things that are in the minds of those much smarter than I, as well as a couple of things that are on the drawing boards of some hardcore tech companies could, in theory, make .com obsolete. Unfortunately for us all, it would render all extensions useless.

As said above, it has been attempted (to some degree) by giggle with poor results. Names and numbers as we know (and use) them will be necessary until something comes along that will render the internet as we know it obsolete.

Of course, I could be wrong.

•••
The things that are in the minds of those much smarter than I, as well as a couple of things that are on the drawing boards of some hardcore tech companies could, in theory, make .com obsolete. Unfortunately for us all, it would render all extensions useless.

As said above, it has been attempted (to some degree) by giggle with poor results. Names and numbers as we know (and use) them will be necessary until something comes along that will render the internet as we know it obsolete.

Of course, I could be wrong.
I can't really see any scenario where .COM would be obsolete, but every other extension would not be as well.

Though in fairness I can't really see a scenario where domain extensions become obsolete in any short period of time.

First there was mobile, then there was social media, then there was apps. None of these made domains obsolete.

In fact domains (especially .COM) are worth more now than ever.

There are hundreds of billions of dollars a year spent on marketing when it comes to current domain extensions (legacy, new gTLD, and ccTLD). It is just not very likely that system is going to be replaced anytime soon.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
I can't really see any scenario where .COM would be obsolete, but every other extension would not be as well.

Though in fairness I can't really see a scenario where domain extensions become obsolete in any short period of time.

First there was mobile, then there was social media, then there was apps. None of these made domains obsolete.

In fact domains (especially .COM) are worth more now than ever.

There are hundreds of billions of dollars a year spent on marketing when it comes to current domain extensions (legacy, new gTLD, and ccTLD). It is just not very likely that system is going to be replaced anytime soon.

Brad

That is the point I was attempting to make...if com goes away, all will go away.

I invest waaaaay too much on a weekly basis for this wonderful thing to go away any time soon :xf.smile: but I think in time (12-15 years) there may be an unforeseen shift in technology that might make the 'old' way obsolete. My hope is that it does not happen overnight if/when it happens.

•••
First of all it is not within ICANN's charter to just assign ownership of generic terms without extensions, so that is never going to happen on the standard root servers.

Second, there would need to be a way for these words to resolve which would have to be browser or software specific.

There would certainly be pushback from businesses and from regulatory authorities around the world if they attempted this. Google is already under the microscope because of anti-competitive behavior. I don't expect them to even attempt something like this.

So what are you going to have one person who owns the term in Chrome, another in IE, another in Firefox, etc. That seems rather absurd and impractical.

The entire idea is anti-competitive. Who gets the term? Are there auctions, is it assigned via lottery, is it just assigned if you own the .COM?

The entire concept doesn't make sense as it would largely make search results way less relevant, which is Google's core business model.

For instance if I was searching for "Knives" and it just forwarded to Knives.com, which is some lame lander....How is that beneficial to anyone?

It certainly is not beneficial to the consumer.
It is not beneficial to businesses.
It is not really beneficial to Google either as they are losing ad revenue from the search results.

Extensions add more options, that would just limit options as more and more people come online.

Brad
I think you misunderstood me. If you own example.com, it would just turn into example. So who gets the term? The owner of the dot com. Simple as that. In fact, maybe I'll make a browser extension that makes this reality 🤔 I don't like to have to type in .com for the most common extension.

•••
If you took the time to go back and look, you would find thread after thread over the last twenty years wondering if something is going to come along and destroy the wealth that a great .com holds and the only thing that has truly occurred during that time is that .coms have gotten stronger and worth more and more.

I like the thought of .coms - at least the great ones - becoming 'old money', printing wealth for generations of family members.

•••
I think you misunderstood me. If you own example.com, it would just turn into example. So who gets the term? The owner of the dot com. Simple as that. In fact, maybe I'll make a browser extension that makes this reality 🤔 I don't like to have to type in .com for the most common extension.

Back to my "Knives" example.

Currently someone would type "knives" in the address bar and be sent to search results, many of which Google makes ad revenue from.

Google has an interest in providing relevant search results. The more relevant, the more effective their advertising is. The more effective their advertising is, the more they get paid by advertisers.

Under your scenario it would just go to Knives.com when you type "knives" in the bar and send you to some one page lander with nothing for sale.

There is no incentive to do this as they would make less revenue and often send traffic to irrelevant websites.

This idea is bad for consumers, businesses, and Google itself. It would basically destroy their primary business model if they sent this traffic to the .COM instead of search results.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
Unfortunately for us all, it would render all extensions useless.
I agree. Whatever tech that ends up making .com obsolete will spell doom for all extensions.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back