IT.COM

discuss New gTLD match with its dot-com: Is it worth it?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

HotKey

Made in CanadaTop Member
Impact
Is matching your new gTLD with it's dot-com counterpart worth it? Many a moons ago when the Internet was young it was common for people to try to get the Big Three: .com, .org and .net. It was understood that if you took your name in all three extensions you basically has a monopoly on that keyword with a firm grip on any web traffic. Over the years traffic was lost to .com and it became pretty pointless having all three unless you had a .org that stood good on its own.

Fast forward to today. I have a gTLD from last year for personal use. A month or so ago I noticed it's .com counterpart was expiring. Couldn't believe it, as the name isnt bad. Didn't think it would last after deletion actually, but it did and was able to hand-register it.

So what is a gTLD and it's dot-com counterpart? Well, take a recent investors domain discussion here on NP for example, financial.help. It's dot-com counterpart would be financialhelp.com. Do you think it's worth chasing after the dot-com once you've secured the gTLD? Since we are slowly moving to gTLDs and the relevancy of exact match domains, I think it depends on the quality of the name, usage and availability. I realized once I had taken my .com counterpart, it actually wasnt necessary. The gTLD was good enough. I had done it more out of "habit" of securing a dot-com.

A couple of benefits I could see in having a dot-com counterpart to your gTLD right now is:

A) to drive traffic to your new site.
B) you have an obscure new G which might go bust, keep the .com as backup

But will even obscure new G's go bust? Referencing to .mobi which was a massive failure from an investing perspective, it's over 10 years old and not going anywhere. I think for now, sure grab the dot-com if its available, but really, it all boils down to relevancy. Brandables ie Coca-Cola will always be great dot-com fits, but many two-word generics like Financial.Help are power names that will stand on their own.

So what is the name I have? It's Sweety.Mom. Tailored for my mom, of course. And it's dot-com counterpart? sweetymom.com. Happy to have the dot-com for now, but down the road it may go the way of .net/org.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
gtld are good, if the name makes meaning and sense like Social.network . But surely it will leak a traffic and some traffic will go socialnetwork.com

As we know .com usually fits to every keyword and second best .org fits to charity, poll or research.

So in every case it depends IMO

•••
Without getting into the domain specifics I have several long held EMD names in dot com and, the very same EMD names in a new extension.

The new extension is actually the recognized category / topical subject of the EMD names so using
" my logic " the most natural occurring flow for the names and extension for website and/or advertising usage.

Was of interest and worth it to me dollar-wise to see the play of the names in the new extensions.

The new extension renewal rates have been steep increases, IMO unwarranted by the overall performance of the extension and use in it's marketplace, and have me re-considering the perceived value of the names.

Some I've dropped and, actually bought several back on some " sales " at quite a reduced price even lower than initial reg fees.

Overall am an advocate of having other extensions of my .coms as reasonable and feasible, particularly in the net and org.

But the likelihood of the "new extensions" with EMD names to my king coms receiving more than small dollar reg or renewal fees from me is nil.

•••
Most of the new G's, cream of the crop generic will be taken in .com so it's probably a waste of time. For example shop .link which sold for 25K, .com is taken but it's for-sale.

I like getting both the G and the .com if possible but most of the time it's not going to happen on the good ones. I have a .link domain that I recently purchased and the .com didn't resolve. After checking Whois I see it's owned by AOL and has been for years. Actually I like that because they just have it in their portfolio, not using it and I'm sure don't care about selling it either. Now I have a great G and don't have to worry about the .com.

Actually I have a few like this where the .com is owned by a major corp. of some type and they have never used it so it just sits but I have the G.

•••
New gtlds are popping up now on many sites that except text entry. So it appears they are here to stay and gaining popularity. I have a few where the .com matches the new gtld but the new tld looks and sounds better.

Last edited:
•••
Per my own experience with such names for 3 years - was the only 1 offer of $50 for .club

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back