Dynadot

discuss Will dot-com be old money?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

HotKey

Made in CanadaTop Member
Impact
I mean real, lasting names, not your fly-by-night flips. Will assets in premium dot-com domains be regarded as "old money" into the future? Like families that come from old money, the domains might be considered a source of regarded, privileged digital estate, rooted in history with wealth carried over from previous bloodlines.

Many terms married with dot-com simply can't be beat. Nor should they look to be. They will retain their intrinsic value with internet address synonymy, and perhaps rise even more as the decades move on.

Is dot-com already old money? By all rights it could be. How we currently use the internet would require a radical shift to change it overnight. We may be in the midst of a slow change now, but not one that does without domain names. Still to be passed onto future generations. A long bloodline worthy of respect.

Old money is respectable, new money lets give it a chance. There might be something to it. At the same time, new money tends to come and go, old money, it's called that for a reason, it sticks around if not abused. It is guarded carefully, used wisely. If there's one extension that deserves it, I think it's dot-com. And someday, even what is new and different now, may also become the assets of those long after our stalwart opposition to it.

I have always embraced a good domain name, from Day 1, and have never understood the opposition to good names beyond dot-com. Yes there are nuances and factors to consider when investing regardless of the extension, but at their core we should see the merits of an entire string, and applaud them.

People that gravitate toward something outside a status quo and use it, we shouldn't always compare to what could have been or what what we think should be just because it doesn't align with what we're used to or what others are doing. There's a mouthful, eh? I wanted to put this out there because I truly think that where ever we end up with domain names, we should always have a steadfast extension to look to as things were.

- deep domain thoughts with Hots

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Back to my "Knives" example.

Currently someone would type "knives" in the address bar and be sent to search results, many of which Google makes ad revenue from.

Google has an interest in providing relevant search results. The more relevant, the more effective their advertising is. The more effective their advertising is, the more they get paid by advertisers.

Under your scenario it would just go to Knives.com when you type "knives" in the bar and send you to some one page lander with nothing for sale.

There is no incentive to do this as they would make less revenue and often send traffic to irrelevant websites.

This idea is bad for consumers, businesses, and Google itself. It would basically destroy their primary business model if they sent this traffic to the .COM instead of search results.

Brad

And what happens when the time comes that artificial intelligence is combined with a new root system to guide consumers to what it is that they are looking for

Not a programmed virtual assistant, actual AI that determines what is the best answer based off what it knows about you ^

And so a consumer “types” or “says” - knives ... first thing AI pulls up is - well we don’t know, would it be knives for sale, knife store near me, knives Wikipedia search ... we don’t have a clue ... AI though isn’t going to cycle through domain choices and say oh that’s a .com ... unless it’s programmed to do so ...

More then likely the new system would NOT be predicated off of what already is ... a programmed database that is constantly growing, and working off a ranking system ... Google and other search engines, etc.

~

Given what we know about artificial intelligence and machines ... the general idea is that the AI would present “us” the consumer(s) with the most efficient answer to what it is that we are searching for ^ the ranking system will still exist, domains will still exist, but AI will not populate search results based off .extensions ... it will generate the best results based off of what it is given and it will display only relevant results to you (location) (what you like) (what you don’t like) (it will learn from your purchasing patterns) [if any] ...

Business’ will continue to run online and those that run their business’ effectively will be at the top ^

100K business’ generated a day ... if just 10% register or purchase a domain that’s 10,000 domains ... that’s 300K domains in a month ... @ just 10% ... there are over 1B sites online, domains are in demand, but they are not as liquid as they could be / we have no VC funds or major investment powerhouses investing in domains or recommending our domains, we are stuck at a stand still

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back