Dynadot

.info Why people are afraid to buy .INFO domains?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

gprod

Established Member
Impact
Usually i see lot of good domain named, inc. one word domains with .Info ext.
I checked the sales on namebio.com - buying .Info is not so popular i saw.

What's the problem with this TLD?

I see people said: Google doesn't like .Info's
It's a big temptation for newbies in domaining to buy .info in the begining of their dreams ;)

What is your opinion?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I registered some dropped infos that seemed to have massive traffic, and I routed the traffic to a sponsor. I got my account deleted. It seems the cheap reg fees for infos sucked in a load of spammers. Now I think of them as toxic, and I've reverted to .coms.

ps - anybody want some high traffic "premium" infos ?

•••
I personally find them hard to sell

•••
Put yourself in the end-user's shoes. What kind of business would want to own a .info domain?

In my opinion, .info is the perfect TLD for information websites. Let's take car.info for example. I don't know if this domain is developed or not, but my understanding is that the domain could be used for a website that lists all information about car models. It can be perfect for product information website, and also information about sports (history and whatnot).

•••
What's the problem with this TLD?
It's just another extension, even though it's fairly broad. When people have a budget for aftermarket purchases they simply prefer to buy .com or a strong ccTLD.
It's hard to sell .info for that same reason that it's hard to sell oddball extensions.

•••
I have been buying and selling .info since 2006. They are hard to sell, but there is a niche market in Geos.

Seems a few destinations have been using them for travel information. Only real end user niche in .info.

•••
Yes, I have same expirience - few good sales of geo .info domains from low to middle XXX.
And no interes on all other good one word .infos.

•••
Registrars used to sell these for $1 or even free with other extensions so they got used a lot for spamming. .Info (owned by Afilias) used to give annual awards for best websites developed on .info but they quietly gave up on that a few years ago.

There are a lot of other choices now for similar prices.

•••
I'd be worried as a nGTLD investor looking at what .info has become. It is like a glimpse into the near future for most if not all nGTLDs.

The demand is simply not there for resellers for many reasons, some already mentioned in this thread.

•••
While .INFO makes more sense than the vast majority of new TLDs, there is practically no aftermarket for it.

Even COM portfolios typically show low single-digit portfolio turn. Factor in renewals and end users reluctant to pay up for a domain, and you quickly realize you cannot carry a large percentage of laggards - domains which drag down your portfolio's performance with nothing but expenses.

It is my view that heavily-registered TLDs such as .XYZ, .TOP and .SITE will eventually fail. Why would a real company choose to build in the middle of a garbage dump? Well, I guess because they don't realize the poor branding decision they are making and how it will adversely affect their business.

•••
Try German .info
They buy even IDN in 4-figure range...

Last edited:
•••
Last edited:
•••
•••
Have you seen the NameBio sales for yesterday (17th August)?

22 .info sales from GoDaddy. Somebody had a spending spree!

•••
Have you seen the NameBio sales for yesterday (17th August)?

22 .info sales from GoDaddy. Somebody had a spending spree!

Yes, wow 4 .info in the top 10 for the day, including #1! Quite the day for .info!

•••
. It seems the cheap reg fees for infos sucked in a load of spammers.

Same here, I just see them as dangerous extension now. .INFO = Just another 4-letter word!

•••
Yes, wow 4 .info in the top 10 for the day, including #1! Quite the day for .info!
That's amazing. You have to wonder what value someone would see in .info, that clearly none of us are agreeing with!

•••
That's amazing. You have to wonder what value someone would see in .info, that clearly none of us are agreeing with!

One of them is co#ks.info

I guess someone will publish information about male organs?

Gaming.info $3,383
Celebrities.info
$528
Ads.info $4,349

Last edited:
•••
Back