IT.COM

.info Are .US domains valuable? What about .ORG vs .INFO?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Hi. I'm sort of new with domaining and most of the good .COMs are taken.
That usually leaves .ORG and .INFO and maybe .US and I wanted to get some opinions about them and their relative strengths and weaknesses.

I read here someone will buy .ORG over .INFO, but I don't see why since .ORG is non-profit, and .INFO seems so informative.

Does anyone have any examples of .INFO sites that make any money?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
both have their pros and cons .org is perfect for community and .info is perfect for information sites. it depends on what type of site you are setting up.

•••
I would definitely go for a good .info before any .org.. especially if you have plans to develop.

•••
I have 10 complete networks of .info sites and they make very good money for me via many affiliate programs. I would highly suggest .info but I'm partial to having a low cost alternative to .com, .net, .org etc...I mean $1 investment leaves lots of room for good ROI!

My 2 cents ;)

•••
I love developing .US domains and have had some success getting at least one of my .US sites on the frontpage of Google, Yahoo, and Bing. I also prefer .info over .org for development.

The extension matters which way you are trying to go with the site, and make sure it fits it. :)

•••
Hi. I'm sort of new with domaining and most of the good .COMs are taken.
That usually leaves .ORG and .INFO and maybe .US and I wanted to get some opinions about them and their relative strengths and weaknesses.

I read here someone will buy .ORG over .INFO, but I don't see why since .ORG is non-profit, and .INFO seems so informative.

Does anyone have any examples of .INFO sites that make any money?
You left out .net which is the most "generic" extension to my mind after .com. And there are still good commercial 2 and 3 word nets available for regfee.

•••
These extensions are only as valuable as the keyword before them, of course .com will always be preferred as it is the most widely accepted. However, there is no reason other tlds cannot fetch large numbers at auction.

•••
Well, we are domainers and we know .net is good, .org is for organization, .info is cheap and is for informational etc, but when you talk to people not involved in domain industry, the websites are mainly exampleofwebsite.com or exampleofwebsite.(tld) . Only a part may say even .net, less would know .org and only very few people will consider .info as extension.
During last summer on the italian radio and television there was an advert about Austria (tourism) and the website was "austria.info" .

Well, one day a friend asked to me:

- what was the website of austria seen on tv?
me - "www.austria.info".

After few minutes he called me back:
- hey, are you sure? when i type austria.info.com it goes to a search engine (info.com) all in english and i don't understand anything...

After i've explained him the existence of .info extension, he was all surprised.
Now it is a funny situation, but it's more common than we can believe.

Then, yes, .us domains are valuable, as well as .org and .info, but they would be definitely less valuable than .net and .com . They're just the consolation prize for domainers imho.

•••
imo (for what its worth), most countrys outside the US have their own countrycode, so those people are already aware of the existance of other extensions.

I live in the UK, and we prefer .co.uk to .com (it seems to me). Local is better, I think.

Also, last week a popular holiday resort in the UK started to advertise its site as .tv, on primetime mainstream television channels.

I probably think US companys will stick with .coms, and perhaps exact generic .us domains, but I think as the web matures, the worlds surfers will become more sophisticated and seek out the right extensions for what they are hoping to find.

*EDIT* Id just like to add to this, that I think a .info is going to have to provide a 'service' as well as information, because wikipedia already does the pure info exceptionally well.

I picked up a .info last week 'fatcontent.info' this being the term we Brits use when we talk about fat content of foods. I plan on giving information about, well, the fat content of common foods.

Last edited:
•••
not so good.

you must adhere on .COMs .

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back