Domain Empire

.info Why .info names are worth registering and holding onto

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Source: http://www.domaining.ws/insights/2006/01/07/the-logic-of-info-domain-names

The .info top level domain (TLD) is one of the most universal and useful extentions ever to be available to the public on the Internet.

Why? The Internet is and was started because of one main reason: Information. The United States government back in the Cold War days did not want a nuclear explosion to destroy critical science, technology, and other types of data to be lost basically forever.

For this reason, they created the first computer network eventually called the Internet to keep the data in several different locations.

Today, the Internet is still all about information. It is one reason Google and Yahoo!, for example, are so successful. They index and organize information which millions of users use every day.

There are so many things in life - millions, maybe even billions - that is, relates to, or can be information. For example, things like concepts, nouns, verbs, all these have information relating to it: FreeManagement.info, LaptopComputers.info, Assume.info… (concept, noun, verb) - can be developed into active minisites that display information.

Another plus to .info domains is the fact that most can be developed into any type of minisite. Minisites are small, 1-5 page websites that present information, get traffic, and generate a little revenue. (At least, that’s their intention.) This is another reason for its popularity: Minisites are easy and can generate revenue with great keywords from contextual ad programs.

We at DNWS suggest you grab as many .info domains as you can afford - of course do research first - and then hold onto them for a few years if you can. They will be worth more. Develop as many as you can into minisites and get some money on the side of your most-likely-busy life.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

I, personally, must agree with this - .info domains are perfect for the Internet. I love em :)

Cheers,
_matt_

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
great article ...

i agree too plus when all the .info will be reserved the good names will worth alot :)

•••
Yes, nice comments, I agree also (though I doubt about their growing value).

They're great for minisites and several of my info's are developed and generating (little but regular) revenue.

•••
•••
I personally believe .info has great potential if developed suitably..

As an investment, they have nowhere to go but up..

•••
Great Post ,Matt
And of course don't forget that the best Starting point for
"Mini Site Info" for your "Info Mini Site" is MiniSite.Info

Last edited:
•••
ah...thnx to the poster, i was thinking of getting rid of a few .infos that i own, now i wont think of selling them for atleast a month ;)

•••
Great post! I enjoyed reading it and agree with pretty much everything you said. I'll add some rep.

I've got a few .infos that should be worth a lot in a few years so maybe I'll hold on to em. I highly doubt they will ever overshadow the .com extension though.

•••
I too think .info has a future on the web. It just makes sense. However, ".info" will probably remain associated with the "non-profit" sector (or "free" - lol), rather than the business sector IMHO, which will severly limit their value in all but the most obvious commercial names.

But develop one with a large product-targetted audience and it becomes a different prospect ;)

•••
I agree with the article and have actually thought that way ever since the .info extension came out. Sites with .info extensions will definately be small money-makers considering their audiences are mostly students, and that the sites' domains are most suited as informational resource websites.

Keyword placement in Google with the right .info domains could do wonders, though. You can only imagine having students have to write a term paper and coming to your site for the information. I'm sure they'd be foolish and click on a Google ad in their visits, but the extension is not for money investment.

Thus I don't think that the extension will ever be valued at top dollar, or even above $100. Maybe that's my own opinion, but I just don't see a commercial or corporate use in the domains. You can't even develop a forum on a .info domain, and I am disgusted everytime I see some webmaster trying to sell a forum on a .info domain as a "developed site".

•••
I own iPodHelp.info, RapFacts.info, and ConvertibleCars.info. I bet they will be worth a lot in the future. What do you guys think? :)

•••
iHosty said:
Thus I don't think that the extension will ever be valued at top dollar, or even above $100.
Not above $100?????

Really, haven't you seen any of those those $X,XXX .info sales yet?

iHosty said:
Maybe that's my own opinion, but I just don't see a commercial or corporate use in the domains.
I disagree. Providing information can be such a commercial activity.

iHosty said:
You can't even develop a forum on a .info domain, and I am disgusted everytime I see some webmaster trying to sell a forum on a .info domain as a "developed site".
Yes, maybe .info is not the most suitable extension for a forum, but I dont think that is disgusting, mainly if it works ;)

•••
My friend Simon Barclay has a graphic design forum that has a .info extension and it did alright. Not disgusting of course.

And yes, I've seen some .infos sold for XX,XXX figures.

•••
Barefoottech said:
Great Post ,Matt
And of course don't forget that the best Starting point for
"Mini Site Info" for your "Info Mini Site" is MiniSite.Info
In the actual article the word "Minisite" is a link to minisite.info ;)

•••
I disagree completely.. .info can be used for consumer info making them ideal for product info and reviews as well as sales..

iHosty said:
Sites with .info extensions will definately be small money-makers considering their audiences are mostly students, and that the sites' domains are most suited as informational resource websites.

•••
Realisticly, .infos can be use for anything. I just think the extension itself makes some people think that all they are getting is boring and sometimes useless information.

•••
iHosty said:
I agree with the article and have actually thought that way ever since the .info extension came out. Sites with .info extensions will definately be small money-makers considering their audiences are mostly students, and that the sites' domains are most suited as informational resource websites.
Where did you ever get the IDEA that only Students are looking at .info's??
The type of info's sites I have very little to do with students specifically
Most .info sites are about Information in general not education related .

•••
Barefoottech said:
Where did you ever get the IDEA that only Students are looking at .info's??
The type of info's sites I have very little to do with students specifically
Most .info sites are about Information in general not education related .
I agree with your Barefoottech. Students aren't the only people using the internet. People who have jobs need information for some of the work they are doing so they will do research when they need to.

•••
Sorry to bring up an older thread... but...

Students actually I think don't even know too much about the .info extention... I tell friends about www.ilookup.INFO and they're like... "dot info? Huh?" ... lol it'll take some time I think :D

•••
I've always been a fan of the info ones...even though I try to stick to .com

I just hate feeding the .com version of the domain with any other tld.

I guess I better start getting over that.

•••
Simsi said:
I too think .info has a future on the web. It just makes sense. However, ".info" will probably remain associated with the "non-profit" sector (or "free" - lol), rather than the business sector IMHO, which will severly limit their value in all but the most obvious commercial names.

But develop one with a large product-targetted audience and it becomes a different prospect ;)
.info is probably the most logical extension to date. I agree that many people will associate information sites with purely free services, because most information sites have from the beginning been free but this will change. I believe that we will get used to pay for more and more services and information.

Many newspapers has started to charge for access to the online edition which used to be free and I have noticed that it is more common now to pay for academic articles compared to a few years ago so .info domains can certainly be used for commercial activities.

•••
Yikes, I agree.. who ever said info has to be free? Paid information has always been around and .info will only serve to expand that business model IMO.

FanCube said:
.info is probably the most logical extension to date. I agree that many people will associate information sites with purely free services, because most information sites have from the beginning been free but this will change. I believe that we will get used to pay for more and more services and information.

Many newspapers has started to charge for access to the online edition which used to be free and I have noticed that it is more common now to pay for academic articles compared to a few years ago so .info domains can certainly be used for commercial activities.

•••
Great Post ,Matt - I'v only got 2 .info's at the moment but one of them instantly started to get traffic as soon as I reg'd it.

I have heared they are popular with Germans for some reason ?
The other excellent thing about them is they can be used in many many countries unlike a .co.uk for example. I should maybe get some more :hehe:

•••
i'm a big fan of .info names ... especially for developement purposes. Ideal for content rich sites and product review sites....

•••
It does not take a genius to see the commercial value of the .info extension, most of us pay for info in one way or another everyday- think about it - you will come up with many examples. :gl:

The .info is also an "internationalized" extension, can be used in any country, language, IDN etc - it is wide open for development and currently very cheap to reg - that is if you can find a good name that is not already under wraps :!:

I only see the .info moving onwards and upwards and am putting my money there etc - American.info already developed another goody coming soon - watch this space :)

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back