Dynadot

.info Why .info names are worth registering and holding onto

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Source: http://www.domaining.ws/insights/2006/01/07/the-logic-of-info-domain-names

The .info top level domain (TLD) is one of the most universal and useful extentions ever to be available to the public on the Internet.

Why? The Internet is and was started because of one main reason: Information. The United States government back in the Cold War days did not want a nuclear explosion to destroy critical science, technology, and other types of data to be lost basically forever.

For this reason, they created the first computer network eventually called the Internet to keep the data in several different locations.

Today, the Internet is still all about information. It is one reason Google and Yahoo!, for example, are so successful. They index and organize information which millions of users use every day.

There are so many things in life - millions, maybe even billions - that is, relates to, or can be information. For example, things like concepts, nouns, verbs, all these have information relating to it: FreeManagement.info, LaptopComputers.info, Assume.info… (concept, noun, verb) - can be developed into active minisites that display information.

Another plus to .info domains is the fact that most can be developed into any type of minisite. Minisites are small, 1-5 page websites that present information, get traffic, and generate a little revenue. (At least, that’s their intention.) This is another reason for its popularity: Minisites are easy and can generate revenue with great keywords from contextual ad programs.

We at DNWS suggest you grab as many .info domains as you can afford - of course do research first - and then hold onto them for a few years if you can. They will be worth more. Develop as many as you can into minisites and get some money on the side of your most-likely-busy life.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

I, personally, must agree with this - .info domains are perfect for the Internet. I love em :)

Cheers,
_matt_

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Nice work on the site wot, it looks like American.info will be a big one, for you and for the extension generally (cue the music.) I have a number of info generics which should head into development later this year. Cheers to .info!

•••
rocketfly said:
Nice work on the site wot, it looks like American.info will be a big one, for you and for the extension generally (cue the music.) I have a number of info generics which should head into development later this year. Cheers to .info!

Thanks, I did the hard work , securing the name :)

Daniel & ITWebteam did the easy bit :hehe:

•••
Personally I like .infos and fortunatly they are cheap enough that even if they don't go up in value you won't lose any money.

•••
For the skeptics -- .info can produce income. I don't expect to make lots of $$ from this but RosevillePottery.info is exceeding my expectations at this point.

Nine months old - stats for Jan. as of 1/30/06
1213 uniques
Average Visitor stays 514 seconds. Down a bit from the last couple months.
Direct address / Bookmarks -- 85%
Search Engine hits -- 12%
- MSN 748 748
- Google 101 101
- Yahoo 62 62
- AOL 42 42
- Dogpile 12 12
- Unknown 6 6
- Netscape 5 5
- Google (Images) 4 4
- Earth Link 2 2

Running around 18% bookmark rate.

Generating multiples of reg fee every month and growing.

Promotion consists of hand submitted to MSN, spreading links around including my other pottery related sites. 15 bucks to list at - VickiHardin-com, ZeroDollarHomePage-com (getting nice results) and MillionFriendsHomePage-com.
From URL Trends Current Rankings:
PageRank: 2/10
Alexa Rank: 4,356,121

Incoming Google Links: 12
Incoming Yahoo Links: 40
Incoming MSN Links: 723
Incoming Alexa Links: 0

Pissed cause DMOZ hasn't seen fit to list.

Problem with getting people into the forum which is frustrating me. People keep asking questions by email & I say post but they don't.

•••
I think .info needs harder work to perform than .com because if I want the information, I would type xxx.com to obtain information instead of typing xxx.info

Thus a .info domain needs to work harder on the SEO part to generate traffic.

•••
but most of the times we dont type in .... we reach webpages via search engines. at least that's what i observe in my own case.

•••
sm said:
but most of the times we dont type in .... we reach webpages via search engines. at least that's what i observe in my own case.
Bingo.
Yes ,most site visits are as a result of a SERP listing. A bit too much emphasis is placed on typeins at times. Nine times out of ten I either use a bookmark or a search engine to find a site. Only time I ever use a browser bar is for Online Banking Site or a name of my own I know is not in bookmarks/listed yet.

A .info or .BE is just as likely to be listed as a .com

Last edited:
•••
I agree,

I think you will find it likely that the majority of type ins come from people like us who know a little about the business.

I "type in" predominately to research a name I want info about, the ordinary surfer will be more likely to be search engine orientated JMO

•••
Barefoottech said:
Bingo.
Yes ,most site visits are as a result of a SERP listing. A bit too emphasis is placed on typeins at times. Nine times out of ten I either use a bookmark or a search engine to find a site. Only time I ever use a browser bar is for Online Banking Site or a name of my own I know is not in bookmarks/listed yet.

A .info or .BE is just as likely to be listed as a .com

For sure - short - direct type ins are great for those with very big budgets but most traffic will come from search engines for the vast majority of domain names.

•••
nice to know that a crapy name can still work since I don't have many premium names. If this trend continue, then people who paid big bucks to buy premium names will not have the expected return, am I correct?

•••
wot said:
[snipped] ... I only see the .info moving onwards and upwards and am putting my money there etc - American.info already developed another goody coming soon - watch this space :)
Nice! I reg'd (& parked) AmericanPeople.info last month & it's been surprisingly averaging about 6 type-ins a day. Just have to decide what to do with it. Your American.info site is an inspiration! :)

•••
Many of my dot.com have their correponding dot.info and except for those intrinsically associated to information, the com's are still above info expectations.

However agree it's SEO matter because I have a dot.name PR5 site followed by dot.biz, dot.info and dot.com in that order, decreasing in rank at the same time

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back