NameSilo

Why is Namecheap able to snatch up expired domains?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

789.xyz

Established Member
Impact
Namecheap clearly doesn't offer a domain backordering service, so how can it register expired domains like mykey.xyz at the first opportunity? I submitted a backorder request on other platforms, but the domain was registered by Namecheap.

I have previously contacted Namecheap's customer support, and they confirmed that they do not provide backordering services. There have been similar cases before where the domains were registered by individuals.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Maybe someone use API from Namecheap to dropcatching the expired domain within his own system.
That one is me

•••
Lots of domain platforms, including the biggest like namecheap and godaddy buy up expiring domain names to see if they can sell them on their platform at a profit. It's been a practice that has been done for years.

•••
if the domain was originally registered at namecheap, would they not automatically have control of it once it expires?

•••
if the domain was originally registered at namecheap, would they not automatically have control of it once it expires?

Yes, maybe through their expired domains. Once it drops, it's a free for all though. I wouldn't count on NC to catch it.

•••
NC has an registration API. When I used it years ago, it was not that bad. Maybe it just went in faster than who ever was in. Or maybe they have a dropcatch service that is not advertised.

•••
Namecheap clearly doesn't offer a domain backordering service, so how can it register expired domains like mykey.xyz at the first opportunity? I submitted a backorder request on other platforms, but the domain was registered by Namecheap.

I have previously contacted Namecheap's customer support, and they confirmed that they do not provide backordering services. There have been similar cases before where the domains were registered by individuals.
What other platforms? Some backordering platforms will be beat by someone hand registering a name. So what platform missing what NC got?

•••
Namecheap cannot compete against dropcatching registrars for expired domains - still, a lot of expired .xyz domains are "awarded" to them. If you closely monitor the situation, you will see that these domains go to "reserved by the registry" status for a short period, so dropcatching registrars cannot catch them. After this period, these domains are suddenly shown as registered by Namecheap. The only explanation is that xyz registry and Namecheap has some deal here.

Last edited:
•••
That's business Zsolt, the way of the world... making money.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back