IT.COM

Why .IN domains only 1/10 volume and 1/10 price of .CN domains

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

007in

Impact
China and India have nearly same population.
Why Indian companies do not accept high price for domains .expecially .IN domains.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
I know, but the difference still bigger than I can imagine

•••
I know, but the difference still bigger than I can imagine
What were the. Cn prices 3 years before?? . Cn has experienced a huge growth over last 3 years.. . IN is warming up.. It's a sure shot extension to succeed.. I also believe IN has potential to perform better than. Cn.. Howevr the wait may be longer... Kindly note IN is meaningful tld.. Cn is a random one, so use case is limited to China.. IN has several use cases.. It's just matter of time...certainly bound to happen and. IN will rise

Last edited:
•••
What were the. Cn prices 3 years before?? . Cn has experienced a huge growth over last 3 years.. . IN is warming up.. It's a sure shot extension to succeed.. I also believe IN has potential to perform better than. Cn.. Howevr the wait may be longer... Kindly note IN is meaningful tld.. Cn is a random one, so use case is limited to China.. IN has several use cases.. It's just matter of time...certainly bound to happen and. IN will rise
As my experience , .in market like 2008-2009 in China.
Perhaps we need wait more time.

•••
As my experience , .in market like 2008-2009 in China.
Perhaps we need wait more time.

My experience with China market is very limited.. All I can say is. IN is warming up for sure, it's not like in a year it will explode or something.. But an extension with strong fundamentals..Can't see a reason why it can't command good prices.. I have sold many names.in mid xxxx usd and wirh xx times Roi . I am happy with those numbers at early stages..

•••
I believe the .in registry forbids registering names just to sell, and they forbid certain types of names. So if your names can be taken away at any time how much do you want to risk investing?

•••
two reasons here -

1. IN is about to grow, its still growing, there is lot there to be explored.
2. Unlike Chinese Indians dont have craze for numeric domains or random letters which we call chips.

•••
Where is .in 1/10 price of .cn ?
From lowest renewals I could check: .in = $8.75/yr and .cn = $9.39/yr
Do you know much lower renewal prices for .in?

•••
I believe the .in registry forbids registering names just to sell, and they forbid certain types of names. So if your names can be taken away at any time how much do you want to risk investing?

.IN Registry will never take massively domains owned by domainers (this would probably kill any extension btw): the confusion comes from the fact that INDRP (the organisation in charge of disputes for .IN domains) is generally not favorable to domainers, but more favorable to end-users (and you have a lot of .IN investors pushing for a reform of INDRP currently, so this may happen in the future).

But .IN Registry has never intended any actions against domainers. Rules are very clear: registrars can't sale domains for a price higher than reg fees, or can't auction domains. But an individual or an organisation that is not a registrar (like Sedo), can sell and auction .IN domains.

The post is about reseller prices of domains, not about reg fees.

•••
.IN Registry will never take massively domains owned by domainers (this would probably kill any extension btw): the confusion comes from the fact that INDRP (the organisation in charge of disputes for .IN domains) is generally not favorable to domainers, but more favorable to end-users (and you have a lot of .IN investors pushing for a reform of INDRP currently, so this may happen in the future).

But .IN Registry has never intended any actions against domainers. Rules are very clear: registrars can't sale domains for a price higher than reg fees, or can't auction domains. But an individual or an organisation that is not a registrar (like Sedo), can sell and auction .IN domains.

The post is about reseller prices of domains, not about reg fees.

Ah- I always thought .in domains can't be sold overtly by any party (reseller, reg, auction house). Knowing it is just registrars that can't do this is a bit of a relief!

•••
•••

Hi that is interesting, thanks. But can anyone post a link to the actual rules themselves? I do know people have registered adult names in .in and then had them forcibly cancelled because the adult terms were not acceptable.

•••
Ah- I always thought .in domains can't be sold overtly by any party (reseller, reg, auction house). Knowing it is just registrars that can't do this is a bit of a relief!

Well, you will never find this specific rule written on the .IN Registry website, but by experience, this is what everyone admit: Sedo.com, Bido.in, Flippa.com, some public WhatsAppGroups... They all sell and auction .in domains without issue. But when GoDaddy added .in extension to their auction, AFAIK, .IN Registry asked them to remove it. Since they are a registrar.

You have to figure out that .IN Registry is a non profit gouvernemental organisation: they don't push, market or promote .in extension. This extention grows organically, mainly (since .in domainers are not very numerous). Always remember that .IN Registry is a non-profit organisation, compared to registries managed as or by a company... They are not pro or against domainers, they are neutral. And when INDRP need to chose between a domainer or an end-user, they generally favor end-users.

Hi that is interesting, thanks. But can anyone post a link to the actual rules themselves? I do know people have registered adult names in .in and then had them forcibly cancelled because the adult terms were not acceptable.

Well yes: avoid adult names, trademarks, and spamming with .in domains and everything will be fine :)

•••
I mean aftermarket price

•••
Tough to make apples to apples comparison I think. Many .in sales are not reported. If you are looking at 3L domains, you are probably right, because thats the phenomenon thats been started by Chinese investors and sure Indian investors as well. If you focus on English keywords, I strongly believe .IN domains will be catching up to .CN valuations and possibly exceed, considering India is a large english speaking country. Majority of Indian websites are in English and sites such as Google, Facebook, Linkedin etc operate in English.

The valuations will come, India does need to be doing more spending online, which is a matter of time.

Last edited:
•••
Back