IT.COM

debate Why do you hate new domains?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

redemo

Mug RuithTop Member
Impact
Please help me understand why there is such hostility towards buying recent registered domain names? If somebody offers me a nice two word name with 20000 monthly searches why would I care in the slightest if the name was registered last week or last century? I have no hang-ups about buying a name that somebody registered yesterday. Bread is bread.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I don't. Get in first for best of extension if in it for long haul. You gambled on the renew fee the house gambled on enough registrations to make it worth it. The idea has to be not only enough in pool for paying renewals but have best keywords to suit extension.

Last edited:
•••
@lock I guess you're talking about new gtlds, while @redemo is asking about any newly/recently registered domains regardless extension. Is that correct, gentlemen? :)

•••
I just assume with that many searches it must be gtld to have strength off the bat.

•••
@redemo I really don't mind, some people are different - A good domain is a good domain, whether it be fresh or old. A narrow view looking at things that way. I must say I like seeing fresh things and thinking to myself "hmm, interesting" every now and then - Keeps the game fun

And as you know, sometimes I do misjudge things. Then have a reflection, and think actually ...not a bad domain. Fresh or old, again I don't care

I think there's a common misconception that "all the good stuff is taken "...not necessarily true. Fresh brandables still do pop up, even today

Last edited:
•••
You are taking the request domains section of this site way too serious.

People asking that are either newbies or people that really mean don't send me random handregs that have a keyword in it that i'm looking for.

As a rule, whatever budget someone claims they have, minus it by 99%, that's really what they want to spend (if you have a super premium like shoes.com). So if they say their budget is 1000 its really about 10 dollars plus a box of ramen noodles and a gd coupon and they might want a 36 year payment plan.

The whole request domain section has room for improvement. People should have to post the domains they are offering and the price so everyone could see what the OP is rejecting and everyone could see the spammers too.

I browse that section as my daily entertainment. I like the ones that are looking to buy a name similar to what was just reported sold in the recently sold section.

The real way to run a request domains section would involve people putting a percent of their budget in escrow. Watch the section get one post a decade or simply only have posts with people with their real budgets.

•••
@redemo I really don't mind, some people are different - A good domain is a good domain, whether it be fresh or old. A narrow view looking at things that way. I must say I like seeing fresh things and thinking to myself "hmm, interesting" every now and then - Keeps the game fun

And as you know, sometimes I do misjudge things. Then have a reflection, and think actually ...not a bad domain. Fresh or old, again I don't care

I think there's a common misconception that "all the good stuff is taken "...not necessarily true. Fresh brandables still do pop up, even today
There is also fresh trends, think of most of the NFT names that sold for 2k+ were recent handregs

•••
@AEProgram So true, specific NFT domains have done well

•••
Please help me understand why there is such hostility towards buying recent registered domain names? If somebody offers me a nice two word name with 20000 monthly searches why would I care in the slightest if the name was registered last week or last century? I have no hang-ups about buying a name that somebody registered yesterday. Bread is bread.

Newly registered domain names can be worth a small fortune if you are on the ball. When a new term gets mentioned and starts to trend it is usually too late and some on the ball domainer has already just registered the term. So even if the domain is brand new, if the expression, name, sentence, whatever it is gets to the news the domain can become valuable very fast.

Now if the name is not trending and is just something you made up it is another story. Chances are after all this time it is still available it is there for a reason, reason being nobody wants it. The .com is always taken first and if you are thinking of registering the .com and all other extensions are also available that is a massive clue that nobody wants the name.

That said.... could it trend in the future??

Possibly but how much money do you have for renewals to find out?

Last edited:
•••
@Future Sensors I'm sorry for this confusion. I meant any name in any extension that was recently registered either for the first time ever, or a deleted name that was recently registered again. Why do people care about the date the name was registered. So what if it was yesterday. I'm confused.

Last edited:
•••
I don’t.

Good names do get dropped. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I have sold such names before.

•••
@AEProgram you shared many interesting observations

"You are taking the request domains section of this site way too serious"

I take domain names and monetisation very seriously because it's my bread. Weekends are for chaos and messing about.

"People asking that are either newbies or people that really mean don't send me random handregs that have a keyword in it that i'm looking for"

I'm newbie.

"As a rule, whatever budget someone claims they have, minus it by 99%, that's really what they want to spend (if you have a super premium like shoes.com). So if they say their budget is 1000 its really about 10 dollars plus a box of ramen noodles and a gd coupon and they might want a 36 year payment plan."

I said yesterday my budget was £ 50 ceiling for each domain. I meant it. Why would somebody lie about their budget?

"The whole request domain section has room for improvement. People should have to post the domains they are offering and the price so everyone could see what the OP is rejecting and everyone could see the spammers too"

I received 10 or so submissions yesterday and today. Overall most of the domains were very close to my requirements and I made two purchases.

"I browse that section as my daily entertainment. I like the ones that are looking to buy a name similar to what was just reported sold in the recently sold section"

Silly-billies!

"The real way to run a request domains section would involve people putting a percent of their budget in escrow. Watch the section get one post a decade or simply only have posts with people with their real budgets"

Yesterday was my first post on wanted and I was very pleased with the outcome. Still waiting on a third offer which hasn't been accepted or rejected yet (hint hint to the seller, DEADLINE is 10 pm BST which is 5 pm EST)

•••
Every domain is a handreg. Whether that was registered today or back in 1996. So I guess when they are drawing a line in the sand, you can ask them what arbitrary age meets their approval.

•••
"Newly registered domain names can be worth a small fortune if you are on the ball. When a new term gets mentioned and starts to trend it is usually too late and some on the ball domainer has already just registered the term. So even if the domain is brand new, if the expression, name, sentence, whatever it is gets to the news the domain can become valuable very fast."

@MapleDots do you remember the day coronavirus 2019 was given the medical name Covid 19? I remember immediately browsing to name.com and finding a domain registration frenzy

•••
Age tends to be correlated (correlation ≠ causation) with quality to some degree ("age doesn't create quality, but quality tends to create age") and in the Requests section it is generally used as an additional filter to prevent people flooding requests with hundreds of newly registered names of lower quality. While there can be some lower-end gems registered here and there, generally speaking in a vast majority of the cases someone offers you something registered yesterday, it's pretty much worthless.

Here's a (made-up) confusion matrix to illustrate things (we'll speak in the terms of a hypothetical request thread):

Screenshot 2021-05-25 at 16.35.47.png

The confusion matrix is for a classification where the predictor of quality is age, with numbers filled up based on the assumptions just below.
95% of domains are of low quality and only 5% are high quality. Let's also simulate that a majority of older domains is of low quality (45 vs 50). n=1000 domains.

What we could see here is that if age is used as a predictor (ie it is a requirement in a request thread), 90% of the actually quality domains are identified (Recall is 90%). Precision is at 47% (the requester has to dig through more than half of the sent domains to find the actually quality ones).

If age wasn't added as a filter, recall would be 100% (supposedly all quality domains would be identified) but precision would be at 5%, meaning that only 5% of the sent domains would be of quality (the requester would have to dig through 950 worthless domains to find them).

The scenario described above may be a little unscientific as it's not based on any real data, just pure assumptions, but I believe it can give you a good idea why people like to stick to age as a requirement. Going through 950 worthless domains to find 50 valuable ones carries a huge opportunity cost of time and resources, but going through 50 worthless domains to find 45 valuable ones is quite efficient.

Last edited:
•••
I don't hate them, but they are largely irrelevant to me because they are largely irrelevant to end users.

From time to time you might find something in emerging fields, but with 150m+ .com registered, most stuff is available for a reason.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
There is an assumption among SEO community that Google ranks aged domains higher. Google do not quiet agree with that. The assumption is based on the spammers' use-and-throw approach to domains. So in SEO point of view, age of a domain is a sign of authority.

Last edited:
•••
Last edited:
•••
Is it correct that the only way to guarantee the purity of a domain name is a newly-registered name that has never been registered before?

•••
They think they know more if saw recent reg.

Wait a few years, before selling, if you’re that self-conscious. Aged domains are preferred over fresh hand reg’s.

Last edited:
•••
OP, know why i personally hate them?

Archaic rules, stops xfer away to diff registrar

if it’s a fresh registration <60 days.

Last edited:
•••
If someone registered covid19.com 30 seconds after the name was announced that name could be worth $ 100000 within a week. Then the age wouldn't be important. So new trends can significantly affect the age argument.

•••
@Samer "if it’s a fresh registration <60 days." is that for all extensions and registrars?

Last edited:
•••
I registered 1000 names in 1995 with NetSol it was $100 each for only 2 years registration

By then every big industry was long gone, so combos and prefix stuff was open to register

Now with new TLD's we got a whole new bite at the apple

These are all this year, and IMO worth a fortune since I deal with Law Firms almost daily

Attorney.Credit
Attorneys.Credit
Attorneys.Limited
Attorneys.Associates
Attorneys.Partners

Lawyers.Credit
Lawyers.Associates
Lawyers.Partners

I've been dealing with Attorneys for decades and doing development for decades, they bought my billing software in the 80's and from 1995 I did marketing for them

My first job was for Milbank in the 70's in 1 Chase Plaza as a kid, my dad was computerizing them with Wang for IBM creating the first Legal Word Processor

I got a bunch of great legal terms from the 90's mostly combos, most use my brand name prefix 1, you put 1 in front of most cities or industries, it's part of my brands development, we can stick a 1 prefix as easy as the keyword for seo or more recently high QS scores to get cheap PPC ads.

So IMO a combo from 1990's that was an early registration is not worth what Attorneys is in quite a few new TLD's

There are Credit Lawyers so Lawyers.credit is a major new registration
Every lawyer starts out as an associate and wants to become a partner so both associates and partners are major terms in the legal industry so again lawyer(s) or attorney(s) in either is a great registration

I got to buy some ETH for a crypto project, so MONEY TALKS make me offers and pay in ETH and I will sell 1 way under what I think they are worth

•••
I'm not going to list them here but a good number of active #cryptocurrencies have not registered the .org name. Some have not even registered the .com name. I wonder why? I thought it would be common sense to do so for brand protection.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back