NameSilo

question Domaining is Dreaming. No?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

greggb

Established Member
Impact
It’s interesting to think about the things people have paid for throughout history. And even more, their motives.

People have bought bread so they could feed their families.

People have bought horses, so they could ride out from their dwellings and hand over their hard-earned money in exchange for bread.

People have bought wine to go along with their bread. Some have paid substantially for a single bottle, knowing full-well it won’t get them any more buzzed than a $2.50 bottle of Tisdale.

And in every case, the seller had some justification for the price he/she was charging. It takes material (i.e., flour, yeast) to make bread. A horse requires feed and training. And a good bottle of wine doesn’t just happen.

And a domain name, well, it takes…

What is it that GoDaddy needs to make a domain name?

How much did they pay their sweatshop employees to craft your last .com handreg?

Yeah, that’s right. They don’t have sweatshop employees. Because domain names can be made right here in the US. At a cost of right around $0. Give or take $0. Because a domain name is an idea. Sometimes a good one. Way more often a bad one. A domain name is a dream. And dreams are free.

I have dreams every night. If only I could sell them for $12.99 plus an ICANN fee. I wouldn’t care if you used coupons to get them for $.99 plus an ICANN fee, because I know you’d want to renew them next year.

That just inspired me to reg a domain: BuyaDream.com. Damn, someone already regged it. He/she is offering it to me for $3288. Maybe in his/her dreams. Or maybe in the year 2121, when people don virtual reality helmets and go on dreambay.com (which is also for sale) and agree to have credits extracted from their accounts in exchange for dreams.

But iDigress.com (temporarily under construction…you could probably own it for a few grand).

By now you’re probably wondering if there’s any point to this post. And there is. I want to end with a questionnaire:

How many dreams did you reg in 2014?

How much money did you make buying/selling dreams?

And good luck dreaming in the year 2015!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
A dream is buying up names. A night mare is have domains that don't bring you traffic and have no immediate resale value.

•••
Because hard work is one of a solid foundation.

•••
I had dropped many dreams until now. Sometimes I sold some good dreams for others....And I continue buy some new dreams :)

•••
The dream is only one : give yourself and your beloved ones a better life.
The media we choose are different : domains, stocks, 9 to 5 job, being paid to send glitters around the globe..

I have chosen several media in my life; some were successful some were..well..you all know what it is and how it feels like.
My Dream, the one with the capital D, is to never stop dreaming; possibly with my eyes open rather than when I sleep and for this reason I will keep dreaming domain dreams, I will cover them with colours ( and why not? glitters! ) and sprinkle them with magic until another dreamer will come to make my dreams their dreams

So far I have registered nice dreams, bad dreams, coupon nightmares and a few gem dreams.

•••
Yes, domaining is dreaming. I started a year ago in my spare time and I will keep this dreaming full time in next 5 years :xf.smile:
A dream that keeps me working to get new ideas [of brandable domains]. A dream that I will keep for [probably] 10+ years :xf.wink:

•••
DomainDreaming.com is dropping soon...

•••
Domaining, i think, is not about dreaming ... It's an investment ! And our job, as domainers, is to make sure our "properties" are first valuable (when you reg them) and second will be profitable !

It takes a lot of time to find valuable domains, with good keywords, backlinks, ranking, and everything but it takes much more time and effort to sell them ! Depending on your "collection", it can be a full time job to find the right buyers, to give more visibility on your domains...

"Don't reg domains if you can't do the time" ! And also, you must never consider a domain as a dream but rather as an investment ! Whatever you do, you must act from reason rather than from emotion !

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back