Dynadot

question Domaining is Dreaming. No?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

greggb

Established Member
Impact
It’s interesting to think about the things people have paid for throughout history. And even more, their motives.

People have bought bread so they could feed their families.

People have bought horses, so they could ride out from their dwellings and hand over their hard-earned money in exchange for bread.

People have bought wine to go along with their bread. Some have paid substantially for a single bottle, knowing full-well it won’t get them any more buzzed than a $2.50 bottle of Tisdale.

And in every case, the seller had some justification for the price he/she was charging. It takes material (i.e., flour, yeast) to make bread. A horse requires feed and training. And a good bottle of wine doesn’t just happen.

And a domain name, well, it takes…

What is it that GoDaddy needs to make a domain name?

How much did they pay their sweatshop employees to craft your last .com handreg?

Yeah, that’s right. They don’t have sweatshop employees. Because domain names can be made right here in the US. At a cost of right around $0. Give or take $0. Because a domain name is an idea. Sometimes a good one. Way more often a bad one. A domain name is a dream. And dreams are free.

I have dreams every night. If only I could sell them for $12.99 plus an ICANN fee. I wouldn’t care if you used coupons to get them for $.99 plus an ICANN fee, because I know you’d want to renew them next year.

That just inspired me to reg a domain: BuyaDream.com. Damn, someone already regged it. He/she is offering it to me for $3288. Maybe in his/her dreams. Or maybe in the year 2121, when people don virtual reality helmets and go on dreambay.com (which is also for sale) and agree to have credits extracted from their accounts in exchange for dreams.

But iDigress.com (temporarily under construction…you could probably own it for a few grand).

By now you’re probably wondering if there’s any point to this post. And there is. I want to end with a questionnaire:

How many dreams did you reg in 2014?

How much money did you make buying/selling dreams?

And good luck dreaming in the year 2015!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Interesting thread. I kind of get your idea/point you're trying to make and it makes more sense to me why you focus on the marijuana niche. (j/k) ;)

I think most new domainers register/invest in dreams.
But I try to acquire domains that represent reality, which you most likely won't find for regfee.

A dream = fantasy, wish, new concept, idea.
Dream domains = Lottery tickets, we all dream we can hit the lotto.

I haven't sold many dreams, but I can say in 2014 I've sold plenty of tools to better help make ideas a reality :)

•••
I always think about what dreams, ideas or hallucinations people had when registering certain names. Funny to think about that there's some sort of story behind each and any of those many thousands of names dropping each day.

•••
IMO all investments are a dream of making additional income. I've created businesses that succeed and others that fail whether online or off. I've also invested in stocks that make money or fail, thats life.

A good rule of thumb, just like gambling, if you can't afford or handle the loss then don't do it.

•••
dreaming until you know what your doing. Unfortunately most new domainers handregister pigeon shit domains with the dream of flipping them for big money. No longer dreaming once they learn what to invest in and how to resell the name.

•••
Domaining is hard work with zero shortcuts. Dreaming helps a lot.

•••
3608617bcbc350f569fc77eb5cb4b5e6.600x462x1.jpg

•••
Domaining is gambling, but on the other hand domaining is a job.
IMO

Last edited:
•••
for newbies:

domaining is more about "hope" than dreaming, though one can find themselves "day dreaming" while pondering terms to register.

then too, for some, it could be a dream to be a domainer, especially after watching the videos, and seeing the big sales.

they "hope" the name has value, after registering, they're sure it has value, after auto-appraisal.

while the reality of "hopes and dreams", can only come after investing.

:)

•••
....most new domainers handregister pigeon shit domains with the dream of flipping them for big money. No longer dreaming once they learn what to invest in and how to resell the name.

That highlight is the one constant I've seen since being in and out of Domaining for well over a decade....and ironically the tail end of that quote....is few and far between and that's beyond an understatement, because it's not the "hope" that's really believed, but the "hype"....big differance.

Nice outside the box discussion here must say...refreshing...nice to dream...but don't let it forsake reality.

•••
....Nice outside the box discussion here must say...refreshing...nice to dream...but don't let it forsake reality.

Oh yeah...this is a good point, agreed fully

•••
A domainer`s concept of what domaining is at the beginning of his/her forage into the business keeps changing with every passing day, every lesson learned, every deal made or lost , every nugget of constructive information gleaned from other domainers.

It gets a to a point when one day he wakes up and his notion of the business at the beginning is completely and absolutely different from his present view of it. The reality of domaining. That day he becomes a domainer.The lesson for all is that this day of awareness should not take too long to reach or remain elusive. Otherwise domaining might be nothing but a bad dream.

Last edited:
•••
A domainer`s concept of what domaining is at the begiining of his/her forage into the business keeps changing with every passing day, every lesson learned, every deal made or lost , every nugget of constructive information gleaned from other dominers.

It gets a to a point when one day he wakes up and his notion of the business at the beginning is completely and absolutely different from his present view of it. The reality of domaining. That day he becomes a domainer.The lesson for all is that this day of awareness should not be take too long to reach or remain elusive. Otherwise domaining might be nothing but a bad dream.

Agreed....especially for some that shelled out literally $X,XXX's in highly publisized Domain Sales that are currentley available in Close out sales for $15 bucks...unreal...this is where it becomes a pipe dream.

•••
I don't register domains for my dreams I register domains for other peoples dreams and hope they pay me well for them.

•••
I just got back in to domaining, dreams? Yes, at times, for me it is about patience, this is not a get rich quick thing unless you own a domain and a company or person really wants to create their online operation, or enhance it. Myself? I will never pay more than reg fee and I use a coupon every chance I can to get a name for less than $2. This more of a hobby for me than anything. But can be addicting at times, especially when you are drunk ;) Then you end up with goofy worthless names, yeah, I have a few of those.

One user here in this thread already summed it up perfectly, If you can not afford the loss, stay away from domaining, the real possibility of you losing every dime a year later can be a reality.

•••
It's a nice dream when you wake up to an email with a $x,xxx + offer ;)

•••
That's some solid writing Greggb . You've said everything and nothing at the same time

thanks and well done

•••
It's a nice dream when you wake up to an email with a $x,xxx + offer ;)

...and are later asked for a quick third-party appraisal before the sale is sealed (though that's the dream of the person on the other side) ;)

•••
...and are later asked for a quick third-party appraisal before the sale is sealed (though that's the dream of the person on the other side) ;)

That's what the spam filter is for aka 'dream catcher' ;)

•••
@greggb I think you should focus here on what dreams really are.

Dreams are choices we make, good or bad. Some in the past, some for the future.

Some dreams are warnings.

•••
i can sum it up further about getting addicted to domain names or making an hobby of buying domains
i have purchased so many domains till date and forget few what i brought too. some of the domains got wiped away for not paying renewal fees. i have spent more money and still the desperateness to buy domains is still
on even in sleep i will be thinking about domain names one fancy domain is what i look upon now and then

•••
I dream for my future retirement life style.
Domains will help me get there.

•••
We can dream all we want but hard work still takes us to where we wish we want :lookaround:

•••
Hardwork is a common denominator.

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back