Dynadot

debate Why do you hate new domains?

NameSilo
Watch

redemo

Mug RuithTop Member
Impact
Please help me understand why there is such hostility towards buying recent registered domain names? If somebody offers me a nice two word name with 20000 monthly searches why would I care in the slightest if the name was registered last week or last century? I have no hang-ups about buying a name that somebody registered yesterday. Bread is bread.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I don't care about the age, but majority of really valuable domains are aged (quite easy to understand why). Before acquiring a domain always ask yourself why someone renewed that domain or why it was available and someone regged it recently.

Also end users don't care about age, it's a detail some might find interesting only in the wholesale market.

Last edited:
•••
Is it correct that the only way to guarantee the purity of a domain name is a newly-registered name that has never been registered before?

If you define purity in this way of course. But what is the purity of a domain? I never heard about it. Also there are going to infinity numebr of domains under this requirement that can be freely registered. This "purity" 99,9999999% of the times means wothless.

If someone registered covid19.com 30 seconds after the name was announced that name could be worth $ 100000 within a week. Then the age wouldn't be important. So new trends can significantly affect the age argument.
Maybe, the point is that it's very unlikely you'll be the one able to catch that keyword before the others. There are gazillion arbitrage opportunitities every second, why you don't pick them? it's the same.

I'm not going to list them here but a good number of active #cryptocurrencies have not registered the .org name. Some have not even registered the .com name. I wonder why? I thought it would be common sense to do so for brand protection.
There are also many shitcoins

Last edited:
•••
Sometimes you can find a diamond in the rough or pockets of value with new registrations. My three most valuable domains Wibbets.com , Brothinvesting.com and Splific.com are all reasonably younger.

•••
Domain age does help rank and authority but from my experience it's a smaller factor than good SEO.
There is an assumption among SEO community that Google ranks aged domains higher. Google do not quiet agree with that. The assumption is based on the spammers' use-and-throw approach to domains. So in SEO point of view, age of a domain is a sign of authority.

•••
•••
Age doesn't matter for almost all endusers.
Only geeks and lawyers are checking WHOIS dates.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back