NameSilo

question Why do people use DROPCATCH vs. Bidding at auction?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

WhoaDomain.com

WhoaDomain.comTop Member
Impact
I've been trying to understand the mentality of people who use Dropcatch to get a domain. I think it's what? $79 or $69 to get a Backorder via Dropcatch?

What's the appeal?

besides the "set it and forget it" aspect?

I see domains domainers have been sitting on and listed at auction and no one ever bids on them. and then I'm sure the same people who were checking them out never chooses to make a bid. instead they rather wait for it to go into redemption and then order a backorder?

Is this what some people do or am I being naive?

It's frustrating.

I have domains that I know if I send them to Namejet or Godaddy and if I don't proactively promote the auction there won't be eyes on them

and as a result no bids or at least cheap bids

if Backorderers simply placed a bid on the domain they are interested in then there's a chance it will go for cheap. "maybe".

I guess Backorderers are betting $69-$79 that the no one will want it at auction? but even so if you backorder via Dropcatch there is a chance someone else did to and by order of Dropcatch. if two or more people backorder a domain via Dropcatch. The domain goes to auction how does that help you? You're back to an auction scenario.

But even then. Why even go down that path?

That path also means that the domain dropped meaning that's a strike against it. Drops in a domain's history makes it lose value. Doesn't it?

So again I don't understand why not bid at auction thereby keeping the domain active and not deleted?

actually I remember having a domain auction on Namejet once with like 500+ domains.

none ever got bids.

very depressing.

about 200 I let go. cut the fat.

of that 200 about 40 of them were registered by Dropcatch meaning someone backordered them.

who knows? maybe even when to auction at Dropcatch.

how annoying is that? You'd rather pay $69-$79 than put a bid at Namejet for that same amount?

or do people just think if they bid on it on Namejet then it will tip people off that it's a good domain and then it would start a bidding frenzy?

some insight would be appreciated.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back