IT.COM

Will Not Use DropCatch.com

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
As many of you know, DropCatch.com will catch a domain that has been backordered, and opens the auction open to the public. Great for them, terrible for being a domainer.

There was an auction for a name, which I have a steady buyer for in that niche. Max I have ever paid for a name in that niche was $150, and I easily sold for $1k+.

There was only myself and another domainer that placed a pre order. Over the next 3 days four more bidders came to the table, and the auction quickly went from the initial backorder price to well over $700 USD.

The only bidders were myself, and a 3rd party who did not backorder the domain, but who came along in the final 36 hours.

The profit margin & risk no longer made sense to compete on the name, so I was out.

If this is the evolution of dropcatching, you better get your names where you can and hold on tight. I never thought I would find myself saying, "I wish NameJet caught that one."

My only consolation is that I cost another party hundreds of dollars, that went to DropCatch of course...

Good for DropCatch, bad for us all. Just something to consider when ordering names.

What are your thoughts?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Jasonn said:
regardless even if you find a nice domain all it takes is one other person in the world to find it, backorder it at dropcatch and its gone (unless you want to overpay). that domain may have been classified as "under the radar" but once it gets eyes on it, suddenly there are people in line to bid.

Agree with this. Unfortunately :( That's the free market at work. Whoever said free markets are perfect? :)

•••
To assume that a domainer's work of getting through thousands of domains to backorder the gems is equally with the work of end-users who are making their due-diligence on the domains already hand-picked by domainers is quite outrageous.
So a domain gets 5 backorders in dc and ends being sold in an auction with 20 bidders. I bet that at least 9 from 10 cases the domain is won by a bidder from the last 15 category which didn't even place a backorder on the name. Don't assume they will backorder somewhere else and skip dc, that's against general tendencies. People who are grinding drops often enough can back me up here.
As far as I am concerned they can keep the caught domains they want and sell them afterwards from scratch.

•••
@Domainace if it is not picked up by DC, you genuinely know it was an "under-the-radar" domain, which you will win outright or with only a few bidders in a closed auction. If it is picked up by DC, either as a drop-catch or for HugeDomains, then you can probably say your assumption about the domain, were incorrect.

What Jasonn said. More than one person can see an under-the-radar domain. My definition just means that it is missed by many, not all. If it ends up on DC, then maybe it wasn't so under the radar. If it ends up on Huge Domains, then it probably was - as nobody backordered on DC.

They got one from me just a week or so ago. The way Huge Domains has it priced, I don't think they know what they have. It's underpriced. There is really only one buyer, but if that buyer ponies up, they could ask for much more. They have a very good system, but the volume requires automation - so they will have misses. I'm waiting for that name to drop again when bad times roll around.

•••
And finally, as @Keith so eloquently points out, if nobody bids at DC then DC just capture it for HugeDomains anyway.

To believe this, you have to believe that either:

1) The people at hugedomains have knowledge that is both perfect and absolute

or

2) The people at hugedomains have knowledge that is equal to or greater than the collective knowledge of everyone else that participates in backordering.

Do either of these possibilities actually seem plausible to you?

Clearly, even hugedomains doesn't believe either of those things are true otherwise they wouldn't have gone to the trouble of building a backorder system that takes input from their customers. Why would anyone go to that trouble and expense if they were sure that they were going to capture those exact same domains anyway? Obviously they wouldn't. If your belief were true, they would have simply captured those domains and then put them for auction and not bothered to invest in a website that simply creates the illusion that our input is being considered.

Last edited:
•••
STP said:
To assume that a domainer's work of getting through thousands of domains to backorder the gems is equally with the work of end-users who are making their due-diligence on the domains already hand-picked by domainers is quite outrageous.

No it isn't. I am not talking here about the amount of effort involved. I'm saying they are both valid methods of acquiring a deleting domain. What I was maybe implying was that it's smarter to do the latter way than the former, because they don't need to go thru all that work. Just because a new service renders the old way of doing things impractical, doesn't make it an unethical operation. Besides, it doesn't matter what I say or think, you are still going to do it the first way and backorder the domains at SN/NJ

•••
Domainace said:
What Jasonn said. More than one person can see an under-the-radar domain. My definition just means that it is missed by many, not all. If it ends up on DC, then maybe it wasn't so under the radar. If it ends up on Huge Domains, then it probably was - as nobody backordered on DC.

Isn't that what I said?

"If it is not picked up by DC, you genuinely know it was an "under-the-radar" domain" and
"If it is picked up by DC, either as a drop-catch or for HugeDomains, then you can probably say your assumption about the domain, were incorrect" ie was not an "under-the-radar" domain.

•••
@discoball - I'm sorry. I don't understand your post. I was saying that Andrew Reberry has publicly stated that HugeDomains would not compete for domains that had backorders on DropCatch. And I believe him, until it is proven otherwise.

•••
@discoball - I'm sorry. I don't understand your post. I was saying that Andrew Reberry has publicly stated that HugeDomains would not compete for domains that had backorders on DropCatch. And I believe him, until it is proven otherwise.

You're right. I read your post quickly and thought you were repeating the assertion made here previously that DC would be catching the same domains they presently catch whether we backordered those domains or not. Apologies.

I agree that DC doesn't catch domains that their customers have backordered and then put them into hugedomain's account. That couldn't happen since anyone placing a backorder would clearly see from the whois record that DC had caught the domain and then kept it.

•••
@discobull - I may have made that assertion in the past. I think it's basically true, but of course it isn't guaranteed, because something which runs "under-the-radar" might run under HD radar as well. I hope that doesn't muddy the waters, but instead clears it up :)

•••
As many of you know, DropCatch.com will catch a domain that has been backordered, and opens the auction open to the public. Great for them, terrible for being a domainer.

There was an auction for a name, which I have a steady buyer for in that niche. Max I have ever paid for a name in that niche was $150, and I easily sold for $1k+.

There was only myself and another domainer that placed a pre order. Over the next 3 days four more bidders came to the table, and the auction quickly went from the initial backorder price to well over $700 USD.

The only bidders were myself, and a 3rd party who did not backorder the domain, but who came along in the final 36 hours.

The profit margin & risk no longer made sense to compete on the name, so I was out.

If this is the evolution of dropcatching, you better get your names where you can and hold on tight. I never thought I would find myself saying, "I wish NameJet caught that one."

My only consolation is that I cost another party hundreds of dollars, that went to DropCatch of course...

Good for DropCatch, bad for us all. Just something to consider when ordering names.

What are your thoughts?

In my opinion.......Its all about learning......Learning comes from Experience and experience come from BAD EXPERIENCES!!

So you gave a try and understand what is going on and its not suitable for me....Then just STEP out from that particular situation and find million better ways to do that job DONE.

Thanks

•••
@kawalsukhi - You should learn from both your bad and good experiences. Rinse and repeat the good experiences. Never to repeat (hopefully) the bad experiences.

•••
Sometime competition makes it too hard to get a name .

•••
I think people need to ask themselves:

If the parent company of DropCatch.com registered the first and last name.com of a member of namepros and is asking XXXX for it, is that a company that you want to put your trust into?

Last edited:
•••
@domainhacks - Well the original owner dropped it. So I think it's ok for somebody else to register it, if they wish.

•••
Actually, the main issue I have with DC is that their backorders are targeted to domainers (simply because end-users usually do not backorder anything) but their public auctions (which can only be started thanks to domainers) are targeted to end-users, as they have the deeper pockets. In other words Reberry's DC business model essentially uses domainers so DC can find end-users for their caught domains. Doesn't sound ethical to me...

If domainers wouldn't make any backorders on DC their whole dropcatch system would collapse. Ofcourse that's not going to happen since there will always be some domainers who will backorder on DC despite the slim chance they will have the budget to acquire the domain once it goes to a public auction.

Last edited:
•••
@Bram C. - Of course the whole drop catch system wouldn't collapse if domainers never backordered at DC. All it would mean is there are more domains DC can catch for HugeDomains.

•••
On average domainers backorder around 30 domains daily at Dropcatch. Does anyone know how many domains Dropcatch actually catches in total everyday including the ones for Huge Domains. I heard it was around 300-500 per day but don't know for sure.

•••
I think people need to ask themselves:

If the parent company of DropCatch.com registered the first and last name.com of a member of namepros and is asking XXXX for it, is that a company that you want to put your trust into?
The domain deleted. Clearly not that important to the registrant that let it go.

Unless Dropcatch has acted unethical I suggest folks dry their eyes and open their wallets to get domains that they want.

•••
@Keith - In another thread HD reached out to the previous owner and gave him the domain for free. Good PR for an $8 registration. A no-brainer, IMHO.

•••
•••
On average domainers backorder around 30 domains daily at Dropcatch. Does anyone know how many domains Dropcatch actually catches in total everyday including the ones for Huge Domains. I heard it was around 300-500 per day but don't know for sure.

If you are judging that by the number of auctions, then 30 is probably a low number because it doesn't include all those domains with a single backorder on them.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back