IT.COM

question Why do domainers care about domain age when most end-users do not?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

MrMDMF

Established Member
Impact
Surely the end goal for most is to sell a domain to an end-user for the highest possible price?
Almost all end-users are either oblivious or simply do not care about age (Obviously there are some exceptions).

I understand there's a certain level of 'collectors' mentality amongst the community much like antiques, wine or cars. But if ultimately, the domain will likely end up with an end-user, who probably didn't purchase the name for its age then why are is it so highly regarded within the domainers market?

Side question: Say I find an absolute gem of a name via a drop-catch, how viable is it to flip it on the domainers resale market?

-M

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
There’s nothing wrong with mentioning the age of a domain to a potential buyer but it’s just not something that comes up all the time.

I do recall one or two jokers with lowball offers who tried to mention that the domain had been sitting there unused all this time so I should sell it cheap and another joker inquirer who said something about could I sell the domain cheap “if I’m not using it for anything” but these guys were low ballers and not worth a retort educating them about “domain age.”

•••
Surely the end goal for most is to sell a domain to an end-user for the highest possible price?
Almost all end-users are either oblivious or simply do not care about age (Obviously there are some exceptions).

I understand there's a certain level of 'collectors' mentality amongst the community much like antiques, wine or cars. But if ultimately, the domain will likely end up with an end-user, who probably didn't purchase the name for its age then why are is it so highly regarded within the domainers market?

Side question: Say I find an absolute gem of a name via a drop-catch, how viable is it to flip it on the domainers resale market?

-M
I love aged domains...when you doing outbound sales age play vital role in outbound email.
i have tried it and yes Age matters to endusers when they see the age they react fast...first thing name then age ..if you combine both the chances of sales increase in most cases...

•••
neither domainers nor endusers care about age

they just both care about domain quality

and the truth is that most quality domains are also aged. not all. but most.

simple as that.

cheers

•••

Essentially, I'm curious to know if it's worth investing time and money into drop-catch/hand-regged domains, with the intention of flipping to another domainer as opposed to holding out for the right end-user.

Obviously, it can play a part in increasing the likelihood of the sale as its a nice bonus, but just how big is this margin? If we were to put a domain sale into a pie chart, I wonder what percentage the age of the domain would be when considered for purchase by a buyer... :coffee:

-M

•••
"RUBBERRUTABAGA.COM - AGED 20 YEARS !!!!! BIN $500 - GET IT NOW BEFORE SOMEBODY ELSE GETS IT !!!"

Sure does make you wanna buy it, right ? :ROFL:

•••
I love aged domains...when you doing outbound sales age play vital role in outbound email.
i have tried it and yes Age matters to endusers when they see the age they react fast...first thing name then age ..if you combine both the chances of sales increase in most cases...

Of course you love aged domains, you're a domainer :xf.wink:

Joking aside, that's very interesting. Is the age of the domain ever a make or break factor for yourself or a buyer to purchase a domain?

-M

•••

-M

Situation 1: Domainer bought SuperOnlineStore.com from another domainer for $5000 and try to flips for $50,000. The end-user may accepted it because they found it's registered 2006. They think it's worth it because it's a aged domain. The transaction is likely go smooth.

Situation 2: Domainer bought SuperOnlineStore.com from dropcatch for $5000 and try to flips for $50,000. IF the end-user found you reg this domain a few months ago and want to sell for $50,000. They will adjusted their offer relatively and they may even set a limited budget to $10000 max just because they knew how much you paid for it.

Situation 3: Domainer bought SuperOnlineStore.com from Forum for $5000 and try to flips for $50,000. IF the end-user found the forum post and knew you purchase this domain a few months ago and want to sell for $50,000. They will adjusted their offer relatively and they may even set a limited budget to $10000 max. But the seller still have a chance to convince the buyer this domain was registered in 2006 and it's a aged domain, had a positive effect on seo and bla bla bla. It may end up selling for $20000.

That's the reason why many folks here will requested the seller to remove domain from Namepros after domain sold.

Last edited:
•••
I think the majority of them are being influenced by the trend without really think seriously about whether it is a reasonable trend.

To me, the age of a domain never matters. I only judge a domain by its quality and business potential. If Ice.com were hand registered yesterday, I would still regard it as a very valuable domain; even if a meh domain were registered at 1990, I would still not want it.

•••
I like aged geo domains for one reason only.

"This domain has just became available for the first time in xx years!"

It sometimes gets a little bit more interest from prospective buyers when doing outbound. However its not a necessity.

•••
Age is only a number lol

If, and only if, the domain has never dropped, does it carry it’s actual age. Then you have other intangibles, is it Google blacklisted, was it a developed website, if so, was it a junk or successful website, these things matter big time.

It is purely psychological on the buyers end, IMO

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back