IT.COM

debate Domain Age, Why Do So Many Domainers Lie About It?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Do you agree it is wrong to register a domain today then claim it is several years old?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • Yes

• No

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Impact
Often, when I'm looking at a domain on namepros or some other platforms that require the seller input the registration date of the domain I see one immoral thing done over and over. What, many domainers are doing is hand-regging a domain like yesterday //.2018 but putting age as 1998 or something. Maybe, it was regged in 1998 the first time (although no way to check as hosterstats only had year 2000+ data). Why do they lie about it? Do you all agree this is a practice that should be stopped and that domainers should not say a hand-regged domain is 20+ years old? Do you agree the age/date stated should match the current whois?

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I feel as if it is an honest mistake when people do this. I did the same thing when I first started, looking at archive.org and saying domain was that many years old. I did not understand that if a domain is dropped, then the age of the domain resets.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back