IT.COM

WHOIS Disappearing can be a big negativity to sale inquiries

NameSilo
Watch
This issue is getting far less coverage than warranted and expected what with the seriousness of so many sale inquiries being missed now that Whois contact information appears to have disappeared, thus for many basically eliminating easy ways for end-users and others to inquire.

This is a major blow to domain sales and will no doubt make it harder to sell names and cause a drop in inquiries and a domain sales decline, maybe even causing some domainers to exit the business.

I randomly checked whois at some major registrars and see no admin contact info and no address, phone number or email address.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
The interesting lack of feedback on this speaks volumes about much of the NP community. Seems to imply there's a lack of realization on the high value of Whois based inquiries, especially coming from end users.

Also indicates many here rely on sales to other forum members, and parked page landers, or for-sale sites and may not realize what a strong supplement Whois has been to getting inquiries over the years.

Last edited:
•••
I rarely got inquiries via whois. Mostly spam.

Most come from the lander or website page for me.

•••
put a landing page on your domain and put your contact details on the landing page

•••
put a landing page on your domain and put your contact details on the landing page
I used to rely on whois for offers and did quite well. Now I have a contact form on my domains and it attracts a lot of losers and random strange messages. I found ever since godaddy started censoring whois email offers have become almost nil.

•••
I used to rely on whois for offers and did quite well. Now I have a contact form on my domains and it attracts a lot of losers and random strange messages. I found ever since godaddy started censoring whois email offers have become almost nil.

Use google form as contact form combined with captcha

you also could made the google form to sent a copy automaticaly to your gmail.

•••

Ditch the contact form, place an eMail address instead - using javascript and a /noscript image option as well for those that have js disabled. This way spammers wont scrape your eMail address. I get 2.3k visits on my domains over a month, and zero spam to my inbound inquiry address.

Contact forms attract losers and random strange messages; it's the lazy persons way to sent eMail.

People that are truly interested will take the additional 15 seconds it takes to send an eMail.

Everyone in domaining sees one person do something one way, and then they think it's the only way ever to do things. This industries obsession with contact forms is bewildering. Lazy $10 offers come in by the dozens with contact forms. Ditch them bro.

Last edited:
•••
Determination - If a company / entity is determined to get your name, they will pursue it through any means necessary. Put up a decent lander like uni or undeveloped w details, don't worry too much.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back