Dynadot

registrars Who is the best registrar in the business?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Who is the best registrar?

• 1st

GoDaddy

votes
    29.8%
  • 2nd

NameSilo

votes
    22.5%
  • 3rd

NameCheap

votes
    13.4%
  • 4th

Uniregistry

votes
    11.2%
  • 5th

Dynadot

votes
    9.2%
  • 6th

Name.com

votes
    4.0%
  • 7th

Epik

votes
    3.4%
  • 8th

NameBright

votes
    2.4%
  • 9th (tie)

InternetBS

votes
    0.6%
  • 9th (tie)

Enom

votes
    0.6%
  • 10th (tie)

101Domain

votes
    0.5%
  • 10th (tie)

Domain.com

votes
    0.5%
  • 10th (tie)

Hover

votes
    0.5%
  • 10th (tie)

Moniker

votes
    0.5%
  • 11th (tie)

Fabulous

votes
    0.4%
  • 11th (tie)

NetworkSolutions

votes
    0.4%
  • 12th (tie)

Dotster

vote
    0.1%
  • 12th (tie)

NamePal

vote
    0.1%
  • 12th (tie)

Register.com

vote
    0.1%
  • 13th

Rebel

votes
    0.0%

equity78

Top Member
TheDomains Staff
TLDInvestors.com
Impact
It's been over 18 months since the last big poll here, a few things have changed, and there is new policy out of GoDaddy today. So let's take a new poll on best registrar. GoDaddy ran away with the last poll.

1. Godaddy
    303 vote(s)
    52.5%

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I found Godaddy is one of the best registrar.Their charges are lowest in industry and also support system is very good with immediate solution.I found they have good expired domains in auction and I normally buy from there only at very reasonable price.

•••
Comeon now, who doesn't like bacon??

Vegetarians? :P
But I don't see any context or relevance of the name to domain names. Even a brandable (especially consisting of real words) must be contextually relevant.

•••
I just love NameSilo, but I miss that they don't support .in, which makes up almost half of my portfolio. Therefore I am using GoDaddy (again).

•••
Really kind of surprised that NameCheap doesn't get more votes. It's so painfully easy to transfer domains with them. Their user interface is very user-friendly too!

•••
I just love NameSilo, but I miss that they don't support .in, which makes up almost half of my portfolio. Therefore I am using GoDaddy (again).

.in is not supported in GoDaddy auctions though. I bought several .in from GoDaddy and was surprised you can't list them at auctions. Hope they add them in the future, as it's a popular extension, and they already support many extensions, so adding one more should be a breeze.

•••
We are happily supported by OnlineNIC.com. They've got excellent pricing and they never bother us with ridiculous spammy marketing emails. It's a terrific solution for those not interested in the constant upsell or daily email blasts.

•••
Really kind of surprised that NameCheap doesn't get more votes. It's so painfully easy to transfer domains with them. Their user interface is very user-friendly too!

Well NameCheap was my first registrar when I joined domaining less than a month ago, so I can second you here. I had a very good impression of them at first. Before signing up, and knowing nothing about domaining, I googled extensively and from the internet it just seemed like NameCheap was the good boy of domaining, and GoDaddy was the bad boy with their pushy nature, bad customer service, many complaints, etc.

Now it's been more than a month using both, and a few others... And I feel my opinion changed. The big downside of NameCheap - they don't have any advanced domain management tools, so any changes you want to make take a lot of clicking to add. It's also much more difficult to organize domains. For example, on NameCheap you can't have a simple table and see where each domain is parked. For everything, you have to click manually, and the menus load slowly. Best example, you can't see which domains you have listed on their marketplace and for how much. You have to go to every domain individually, scroll down, select MarketPlace, then select edit - only then you see the price. Repeat the same for everydomain. Overall, it seem like NameCheap is good if you have 2-5 domains, but very quickly gets overwhelming with more. GoDaddy, on the other hand, gets better the more you use it, and also loads much faster than NC.

Other downside - you can't cancel domain registration on NameCheap, while on GoDaddy - you can ask for refund in the first 5 days. This helped me a lot in the first few weeks, when I was hand regging a lot of crap. And it's always a nice touch to be able to ask for refund.

Last edited:
•••
NS planning on adding .IN and .UK support.

Last edited:
•••
NS planning on adding .IN and .UK support.

Yes, but they've been saying that for quite a while now, so not sure if/when it will happen. If it happens, they will be the perfect registrar for me.

•••
Yes, but they've been saying that for quite a while now, so not sure if/when it will happen. If it happens, they will be the perfect registrar for me.

Thanks for the note. .in is the next ccTLD that we will likely support. It is a bit slow-going with the registry, but the process is underway. We are hoping for .uk some time in the first part of 2018.

We work only directly with TLD registries instead of going through middlemen like many registrars. This is the best way for us to offer the lowest pricing and best customer support, but it does mean that it takes us longer to complete integrations. Thanks for your patience and we're on it :)

•••
Some are not so popular but doing well.. I love fasthost and LCN

•••
They are decent, but have a flaw...

After the 15 day grace period the customer’s domain is deleted from their account. After day 16, the domain will in most cases be recoverable for up to a total of 69 days after the expiration date. In the case, where the domain can still be recovered a restoration fee not to exceed $90 is assessed.

Great information!!!

I was looking at using Epik because they are premium partners for Afternic and Sedo. The 15 day grace period is not good news. I hope they change it or I might not be moving names there.

Is it easy to transfer names in and out of Epik?

Last edited:
•••
Great information!!!

I was looking at using Epik because they are premium partners for Afternic and Sedo. The 15 day grace period is not good news. I hope they change it or I might not be moving names there.

Is it easy to transfer names in and out of Epik?
To transfer names within epik is smooth and hassle free. I haven't tried to transfer out yet. Would be nice if anyone has experience with transferring out of epik.

•••
To transfer names within epik is smooth and hassle free. I haven't tried to transfer out yet. Would be nice if anyone has experience with transferring out of epik.

It is very easy to transfer out of Epik. The system automatically checks if the domain is eligible for transfer-out, unlocks and sends the auth. code to you. They also provide for instant approval of the transfer, so no need to wait 5-7 days.

•••
•••
181 votes as of Nov 27, 2017 08:58:05 GMT:
  • InternetBS 1 vote(s) 0.6%
  • Dynadot 11 vote(s) 6.1%
  • GoDaddy 39 vote(s) 21.5%
  • Moniker 1 vote(s) 0.6%
  • Name.com 5 vote(s) 2.8%
  • NameBright 4 vote(s) 2.2%
  • NameCheap 14 vote(s) 7.7%
  • NameSilo 67 vote(s) 37.0%
  • Uniregistry 25 vote(s) 13.8%
  • Epik 14 vote(s) 7.7%

194 votes and 2,469 views as of this post. To give the poll more visibility, it was just added to the sidebar on 11/28/2017 midnight CST.

Thanks for starting the poll, Raymond!

•••
NameSilo is the best.. and it still keeps improving unlike the rest!

•••
Namesilo is the best.
Namesilo 1 , Dynadot 2

•••
GD - Let that stock climb baby!

•••
My vote is for NameSilo.

I've been moving things to NameSilo in 2017. Reasons include Godaddy eliminating email customer service and do not seem to want to bring it back. Afternic is a very buggy system - much frustration with them.. The user interface at Godaddy Auctions is confusing and its antiquated. Also, as a domain investor I like the NameSilo interface. At Godaddy I feel like any other customer who is upsold all the way through the domain purchase and renewal process.

Little by little these things added up and I started to wander... I found NameSilo, among others, and I am really impressed with NameSilo for my registrar.

•••
Moved all my domains to Namesilo.

Fasthosts seems to be the worst I have ever attempted to use. Account approval took almost 2 weeks after submitting documents. Had to abandon the account (intended to be used to receive the push of a name I bought) and transferred to NS instead.

Last edited:
•••
I'm happy to see NameSilo in the lead - of all registrars I've dealt with, they are simply the best. Great customer service, and simple yet functional UX with reasonable prices.

•••
Wow Name Silo is the new "go mummy" - they cherish and nurture your domains, and fend off those nasty spamming pests. When it's time for your domain to leave the nest, they don't lock the door, and they can even handle the dowry payment. :)

•••
Wow Name Silo is the new "go mummy" - they cherish and nurture your domains, and fend off those nasty spamming pests. When it's time for your domain to leave the nest, they don't lock the door, and they can even handle the dowry payment. :)
A unique perspective, indeed! (Though, true)

•••
Very fast and knowledgeable support at NameSilo both via email and chat.

I agree with the member who earlier mentioned it is annoying that GoDaddy no longer offers email support. And the last two times I have used GoDaddy's chat support, they have barely had a clue about domains. I guess they need to know about many of the other products they offer, so they cannot be domain experts.

The only thing that "worries" me a bit about NameSilo is how they make money... I would love for them to make a good profit so we can use them for many years to come. But with low domain prices, free privacy and no other products such as hosting, I guess profits must come from marketplace commissions?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back