Domain Empire

registrars Who is the best registrar in the business?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Who is the best registrar?

• 1st

GoDaddy

votes
    29.8%
  • 2nd

NameSilo

votes
    22.5%
  • 3rd

NameCheap

votes
    13.4%
  • 4th

Uniregistry

votes
    11.2%
  • 5th

Dynadot

votes
    9.2%
  • 6th

Name.com

votes
    4.0%
  • 7th

Epik

votes
    3.4%
  • 8th

NameBright

votes
    2.4%
  • 9th (tie)

InternetBS

votes
    0.6%
  • 9th (tie)

Enom

votes
    0.6%
  • 10th (tie)

101Domain

votes
    0.5%
  • 10th (tie)

Domain.com

votes
    0.5%
  • 10th (tie)

Hover

votes
    0.5%
  • 10th (tie)

Moniker

votes
    0.5%
  • 11th (tie)

Fabulous

votes
    0.4%
  • 11th (tie)

NetworkSolutions

votes
    0.4%
  • 12th (tie)

Dotster

vote
    0.1%
  • 12th (tie)

NamePal

vote
    0.1%
  • 12th (tie)

Register.com

vote
    0.1%
  • 13th

Rebel

votes
    0.0%

equity78

Top Member
TheDomains Staff
TLDInvestors.com
Impact
It's been over 18 months since the last big poll here, a few things have changed, and there is new policy out of GoDaddy today. So let's take a new poll on best registrar. GoDaddy ran away with the last poll.

1. Godaddy
    303 vote(s)
    52.5%

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
The policy change Claude was the new 30 days instead of 42, not all customers got the email and that caused a bit of a stir here as well.

https://www.namepros.com/threads/godaddy-domain-name-expiry-changes.1051138/#post-6445967

Thread where some wondered why they didn't get an email, https://www.namepros.com/threads/go...our-domains-after-30-days-expiration.1051137/

Yep. That sucks. Favoring auction participants over registered owners. I always praised GD for their generosity in that area. But it's just one more indication that they don't really care about registrants rights, because they trample all over them, all the time. It was their last saving grace for me. And I'm not one to let a domain drop and watch the auctions. Because I've already decided to drop the domain.

•••
Like many, I've used most registrars, and still hold accounts with them, so it's just my view of Moniker v's others.

I don't think it's any particular thing, but the security Moniker offers is second to none, and that was even the draw when I started using them back in 2006.

I like the fact that everything I need to do is in the dropdown menu options, or switching to the legacy system simplifies everything. It just feels easier to use.

Their prices have always seemed reasonable, and I've never had any issues.

Secure at Moniker? Hardly likely. Maybe you just haven't fallen foul of it yet. They are quite unsecure, I would say (but not from my own bitter experience).

•••
Also, I have to admit I didn't know they are the cheapest? is this really true??? How much do you pay for renewals?

btw.
Im using namecheap, namesilo, and dynadot now.

And, Im surely gonna look into using epik, which I thing might be "the best" all things considered.

I have 99%+ .com and renewals at GoDaddy (with being in the club) are $8.47 for me. I just checked Name Silo, I see $8.99, and I have over 400 domains and if they were all at Name Silo and I was in their discount club, looks like renewals would be $8.79. Depends on how many domains you have, what other extensions you may be invested in, prices could be better at one place vs. the other, etc. I remember somebody spamming the GoDaddy coupon thread, saying how some other places were cheaper, but when you really drilled down the numbers, it wasn't for me or those with lots of domains, generally. You would have to do the math for your own situation.

Tightening up for that #1 spot, 146-142

Last edited:
•••
I have 99%+ .com and renewals at GoDaddy (with being in the club) are $8.47 for me. I just checked Name Silo, I see $8.99, and I have over 400 domains and if they were all at Name Silo and I was in their discount club, looks like renewals would be $8.79. Depends on how many domains you have, what other extensions you may be invested in, prices could be better at one place vs. the other, etc. I remember somebody spamming the GoDaddy coupon thread, saying how some other places were cheaper, but when you really drilled down the numbers, it wasn't for me or those with lots of domains, generally. You would have to do the math for your own situation.

This forum is full of complaints from people outside of US that are being VAT charged on the regular prices for all products at GoDaddy. AFAIK there are some US states that are affected too. With VAT addition, DDC pricing is not so cheap anymore.

•••
Discount Domain Club has a price though. I think you can get it down to $72 or so with a coupon.

So divide $72 by however names you have at GoDaddy and add that to $8.47.

•••
This forum is full of complaints from people outside of US that are being VAT charged on the regular prices for all products at GoDaddy. AFAIK there are some US states that are affected too. With VAT addition, DDC pricing is not so cheap anymore.

Yep, why I said "You would have to do the math for your own situation."

I have no idea what other's situations are, just my own.

Discount Domain Club has a price though. I think you can get it down to $72 or so with a coupon.

So divide $72 by however names you have at GoDaddy and add that to $8.47.

For me it would be about 16 cents, so still cheaper than other places, for me. That's just with .com. Maybe you invest in some other extensions where this may be a great deal, or it might not be.

Everybody has to do the math for their own situation, when it comes to pricing.

So for me, cheaper. Then again, I like the integration with the marketplace. I have a great rep, always have.

Last edited:
•••
Still moving my domains from Moniker to Hexonet.net and pay < $9.

I pay less than $9 at Uniregistry, which I love but they have no API.

•••
Yep, why I said "You would have to do the math for your own situation."

I have no idea what other's situations are, just my own.

For me it would be about 16 cents, so still cheaper than other places, for me. That's just with .com. Maybe you invest in some other extensions where this may be a great deal, or it might not be.

Everybody has to do the math for their own situation, when it comes to pricing.

So for me, cheaper. Then again, I like the integration with the marketplace. I have a great rep, always have.

I agree with you JB. You have to analyze the complete package offered by a Registrar. Not just the reg/renewal prices. Both tangible and intangible. It's a complicated matrix of factors. Some factors positive, and some negative. One Registrar could be preferred over another registrar with higher registration fees. What makes NameSilo an interesting proposition, is with everything besides the registration it's free. I'm actually pleased to see them tying with the largest elephant in the universe in this poll. They've worked hard to get there. Their control panel works well. But it could be improved into the 21st century, like Uniregistry. But I'm not expecting a facelift anytime soon.

Disclaimer: I use (or have used) all the Registrars I've made any comments about in this thread. My three main registrars are Dynadot (the majority by far), Uniregistry, NameSilo. In that order.

Last edited:
•••
As an European, I vote for Joker.com :)

•••
Thanks, Ray. Now I see what you were talking about in the poll post. While I clearly think connecting any single company's (negative, IMO) policy change to a specific popularity poll adds bias. I also know scientific trade surveys can be valuable 'whitepaper' products that produce tangible results, and help garner respect for an industry -when done on a timeline, with a summary of market changes; which you have done in reply to my posts -And provided key data point links... so you might want to consider doing a little fine tuning and turning your unique deep domain data prowess into whitepaper products for publishers like Fierce Markets.

The policy change Claude was the new 30 days instead of 42, not all customers got the email and that caused a bit of a stir here as well.

https://www.namepros.com/threads/godaddy-domain-name-expiry-changes.1051138/#post-6445967

Thread where some wondered why they didn't get an email, https://www.namepros.com/threads/go...our-domains-after-30-days-expiration.1051137/

•••
how do you define best best service, best support, best price?godaddy has amazing support

•••
•••
•••

Are you also factoring in the DDC cost? If not, how does that affect your net pricing?

•••
Are you also factoring in the DDC cost? If not, how does that affect your net pricing?
Nvm, i saw you answered in a subsequent comment

•••
Godaddy & NameSilo have the most votes

•••
Not amazing. I search CHAT with Support, but not found him. After ticket - added chat in all pages on website

Really good price for domain name :xf.laugh:

Probably the ones that find GoDaddy's support amazing either live in the USA (call free of charge and live chat) or have an account manager at GoDaddy. GoDaddy started to charge VAT on my orders, even tough I have a VAT number. GoDaddy has no email support, which is ridiculous. I had to use an American IP address to use there live chat option, but they were not helpful at all. Seems the only way is to make an expensive international call.

My vote goes to Namesilo! Great pricing, support and free whois privacy if required.

•••
Probably the ones that find GoDaddy's support amazing either live in the USA (call free of charge and live chat) or have an account manager at GoDaddy. GoDaddy started to charge VAT on my orders, even tough I have a VAT number. GoDaddy has no email support, which is ridiculous. I had to use an American IP address to use there live chat option, but they were not helpful at all. Seems the only way is to make an expensive international call.

My vote goes to Namesilo! Great pricing, support and free whois privacy if required.
well well. my vote goes to namesilo, but i love design by namecheap

•••
Very glad to see @namesilo up there challenging godaddy. If only they done web hosting!

•••
•••
I wish we ran a book on this as would have got the superfecter. on this.

•••
I've had the best all-around experience with GoDaddy, NameSilo, Uniregistry. These 3 provide everything needed with ease. The rest seem to have their strong points and weak points.

Last edited:
•••
Network Solutions has 3 votes, that's surprising for any domain investor to have them ranked the best, in my opinion.

•••
Network Solutions has 3 votes, that's surprising for any domain investor to have them ranked the best, in my opinion.

Tying with eNom and Moniker. Wow. eNom have certainly fallen from grace. They were my favorite registrar years ago. I moved my considerable portfolio from GoDaddy to eNom years ago. Until they broke their own ToS and refunded me for a NameWinner win which was stolen from my eNom Account, instead of filing for the domain to be returned to them. Decision made by Directors at eNom. They claimed the loophole was a feature. But soon after this incident they closed the loophole. After that I transferred my portfolio to Dynadot. And have never regretted it.

Are eNom still the 2nd largest registrar, and 1st largest reseller registrar. I'd suspect not if they can only garner 3 votes.

Last edited:
•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back