NameSilo

poll Who is the best registrar in the business? 2019 Edition

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Who is the best registrar in the business?

• 1st

NameSilo

votes
    24.4%
  • 2nd

GoDaddy

votes
    21.0%
  • 3rd

Dynadot

votes
    18.5%
  • 4th

NameCheap

votes
    8.9%
  • 5th

Epik

votes
    5.9%
  • 6th

Uniregistry

votes
    4.9%
  • 7th

Porkbun

votes
    2.8%
  • 8th

Name.com

votes
    2.3%
  • 9th

Google

votes
    1.9%
  • 10th (tie)

NameBright

votes
    1.5%
  • 10th (tie)

Other

votes
    1.5%
  • 11th

NetworkSolutions

votes
    1.3%
  • 12th (tie)

101Domain

votes
    0.8%
  • 12th (tie)

1&1

votes
    0.8%
  • 13th (tie)

InternetBS

votes
    0.7%
  • 13th (tie)

Enom

votes
    0.7%
  • 14th (tie)

Fabulous

votes
    0.5%
  • 14th (tie)

Hexonet

votes
    0.5%
  • 15th

Cloudflare

votes
    0.4%
  • 16th

Domain.com

votes
    0.3%
  • 17th

Moniker

votes
    0.2%
  • 18th (tie)

Dotster

vote
    0.1%
  • 18th (tie)

Register.com

vote
    0.1%
  • 19th (tie)

DirectNic

votes
    0.0%
  • 19th (tie)

Hover

votes
    0.0%

equity78

Top Member
TheDomains Staff
TLDInvestors.com
Impact
Screenshot_2019-05-04 Who is the best registrar in the business (1).png

It's been over 18 months since the last big poll here. So let's take a new poll on best registrar. GoDaddy won the last two, the last one was closer with @namesilo coming in second, 253 votes vs 191 or 29.8% vs 22.5%. The previous big poll saw GoDaddy run away with it 303 votes or 52%.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Regarding this poll...
I use many registrars... even GoDaddy sometimes.
Voted for Dynadot.

Last edited:
•••
any abnormal change in results will be noted

Well, without a list of the members and who they voted for available for us to see. this is not anywhere near scientific so any patterns/abnormalities would be speculative at best.

It is more meaningful for me to read the comments by each person/member who responds in the thread (not just ticking a box) as that is where the real insights are.

•••
I voted for NameSilo (from domainers point of view), however for an enduser I'd also recommend Hover. A serious company (Tucows retail arm), easy control panel, good support, no upsales, extra addons like email/privacy etc...

•••
NameSilo, ease of use, continuous low pricing , great customer service

•••
•••
Namespro.ca holds almost all of my .ca’s
Sibername for .ca TBR
Namesilo for almost all of my others. They have great pricing and many other nice features at no extra cost. Used their escrow when selling inbound requests and it worked just fine.

And Namesilo does have fast transfer away:xf.wink:
The advantages for me with first two registrar is the Canadian/American exchange rate..I am saving big money by paying with Canadian currency.

But love vice versa, getting paid in US dollars.

1 Canadian dollar = 74 cents US
1 US dollar = $1.34 Canadian (as of this posting)

Business is Busine$$

•••
•••
Domain.com is a mainstream space recorder that offers cheap facilitating alternatives alongside valuable devices for independent ventures and online journals.

You work for Domain.com customer support. lolz

•••
I wonder how much of voting with epik is affected by the political element which I do not want to get into from any aspect. But their backend for me blows everyone away, like I don't believe anyone is close.

The fact that you can see whois lookups, parking stats, move between parking for ppc and a landing page with minimal effort. Pricing is good, Domain leasing and other tools right there in the back end.

•••
•••
•••
Uni works if you have relationship value, what is wrong with them, they have a very high end platform, and a good marketplace with landers, and a brokerage team if you need them?

Didn't say anything was wrong with them per se. I'm simply saying that if I were them, I won't be happy with these poll results so far after all the money invested (or whatever) and the hype created. I remember back 1.5 - 2 years ago when almost every person on Domain Sherpa mentioned how sleek and shiny Uni was (granted Uni was a sponsor); their registrar was supposed to be a cut above the rest, a superstar among the regular players.

But after 2 years, it's a pity for them (imo) that everyday domainers don't think they are the best of the best. It's paradoxical to me that we're going for lil' ole Dynadot and Namesilo. Man! Looking at the poll, people even voting half-broken GoDaddy over Uni (half the times, I can't get GD to do what it needs to do on the back-end. For a big company, they really need to work on the backend. Geez!). Though I totally understand that when it comes to customers and sales, nobody can beat GD, to be honest.

I have an idea - maybe Uni software engineers should be outsourced to upgrade GD. Can you imagine?

Last edited:
•••
Dynadot gets my vote. Moved over when they were new and never looked back.

•••
NameCheap Support is supereb. No waiting time like most other registrars. And they will help any minute until the issue is resolved. Also support is avalble 24/7. Most registrars limit that to working hours and only few contact options available 24/7.

If i choose 2nd choise, I will choose Epik. There support is also great and Epik does have some nice features such as Parking Rotation, Performce tab, own marketplace for the domainer and so on.

•••
Regarding Dynadot's payout though (discussed in posts above), you have to pay an additional 5% for that.

So then it's 5% for the Marketplace fee + 5% for the payout:
https://www.dynadot.com/community/help/question/payout-policy

But if they could make it a flat 5%, they would be much more preferable.

Also, you might not have noticed the payout option earlier, because I think they only added it less than a year ago.

Last edited:
•••
I notice that (as of writing this) the 5 registrars obtaining the most votes all have an integrated domain marketplace. Do you think that is a key factor in why they have so many more votes than some of the other choices that do not? While I am not at all surprised that the top 5 are NameSilo, Dynadot, GoDaddy, Namecheap and Epik, as of now, their domination in the voting somewhat surprises me. Number 6 in voting Uniregistry also of course has a marketplace.
Bob

I don't think this is a factor for Dynadot. Nobody seriously uses it for selling domains because of it's payout restrictions.

•••
Why NameSilo is taking number one in this poll is beyond me. Aren't we got no class? A registrar that has nothing to offer, and looks like early 90s blog. This is the registrar you're voting number one? #SMH

That explains why 90% of registered domains are crap. Why people spends tones of USD on Sedo to promote craps that will never sell.

•••
Why NameSilo is taking number one in this poll is beyond me. Aren't we got no class? A registrar that has nothing to offer, and looks like early 90s blog. This is the registrar you're voting number one? #SMH

That explains why 90% of registered domains are crap. Why people spends tones of USD on Sedo to promote craps that will never sell.

Which explains why their Expiring Domain Auctions are so full of it too :) Don't get me wrong about NameSilo though. I'm agnostic about them mainly because, they are a small company which has made good. They deserve a lot of credit for that.

But I do share your thoughts about their recent cPanel makeover. It was awful, really awful, before. It's seems they have reproduced the same core code with a new (not great) outer skin. It would have been a cost effective solution. But lacks a lot of new design flair. IMHO. When I have pointed out flaws about the design to them. Nothing ever changes. It's like speaking to yourself. They don't appreciate we are only trying to help.

•••
moved all my names from enom to dynadot....saved me about $1500 a year! very happy with that...
have a few with name.com cause they almost matched the prices as I started my mass exodus to dyna...have had no issues with dynadot so far.

I feel I need to change regs every 4 or 5 years for some reason...so I should be good for another 4 years...its also good because it forces you to go through your names and drop the crap...

like robotunicycles what was i thinking!

looks like they increased about 40% in the past 12 months...so think i made a good choice.
https://www.DomainState/registrar/dynadot.html

•••
I have 9 registrars on the list. Over 95% of my domains are with Dynadot. And the rest are in the process of, or waiting to be transferred to Dynadot, once the 60 day holds have expired.

GoDaddy and NameBright have approx 85% of the domains (of the 5% not at Dynadot) waiting for transfer. 5 (of the 9) registrars have only 2 registrations, or less.

Only 1 (ccTLD) domain is not yet supported by Dynadot, and only 1 (nGTLD) domain is too expensive at Dynadot. Dynadot are aware of the issues, and are working on them.

Last edited:
•••
I voted Epik this time and I have a good reason for doing so.

Recently, I was in the midst of a negotiation where a domain exchange was part of the overall deal. I asked the question here at Namepros if there was a type of Escrow that could safely facilitate this exchange. I was immediately contacted by @Rob Monster who is CEO of Epik. He explained that Epik offered this service and how it can be done.

I was happy to hear that Epik provided the pure exchange part of this service for free and furthermore it was seamless with no issues encountered. The exchange was done in a few hours. What made it better was that the CEO was hands on with overseeing it which gave me comfort.

I don't know if other registrars also offer this service, but even if they did, I would go back to Epik and Rob for further exchanges as the service was great.

thanks,

CK.

•••
If there was a way for me to browse domains on the ''Epik swap marketplace'', find a domain that I'd like to own, and present an offer (domains for exchange), it would be very nice and I'd move my keepers to Epik.
With a way to prevent low ball offers (dozens of cheap domains) by spammers.

Thanks @Windoms.

I think the NamePros mods should make a more prominent area for folks to list their swappable domains and allow them to also edit their inventory. Names registered at Epik can be swapped without fee but the actual listing and discussion about swappable names needs eyeballs which is why I would be inclined to have that be done at NamePros where pro domainers are engaged for much of the day.

@Paul Buonopane @Eric Lyon - Any input from you guys?

•••
Here is an interesting question.
Who is the main registrar among domainers who are making consistent xxxx+ sales and consistent xxx+ acquisitions.

I doubt there is 1 NP member reading this thread who can claim that. Consistently means at least once a month, every month. And in your case, for both purchases and sales. It would also mean every 2-3 months. but sales and purchases rarely work like clockwork. I'm making sales of xxxx, simply because I don't sell in the xxx range. But sales are made irregularly (by their very nature). I rarely pay as much as xxx for a domain also, and so I would call that inconsistent, also.

•••
•••
I voted for NameSilo. The new management did not destroy what was done by previous team, which by itself is positive. One would however expect more innovations and further developement, like in good old times (as shown in an old "New NameSilo marketplace" NP thread).

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back