NameSilo

poll Who is the best registrar in the business? 2019 Edition

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Who is the best registrar in the business?

• 1st

NameSilo

votes
    24.4%
  • 2nd

GoDaddy

votes
    21.0%
  • 3rd

Dynadot

votes
    18.5%
  • 4th

NameCheap

votes
    8.9%
  • 5th

Epik

votes
    5.9%
  • 6th

Uniregistry

votes
    4.9%
  • 7th

Porkbun

votes
    2.8%
  • 8th

Name.com

votes
    2.3%
  • 9th

Google

votes
    1.9%
  • 10th (tie)

NameBright

votes
    1.5%
  • 10th (tie)

Other

votes
    1.5%
  • 11th

NetworkSolutions

votes
    1.3%
  • 12th (tie)

101Domain

votes
    0.8%
  • 12th (tie)

1&1

votes
    0.8%
  • 13th (tie)

InternetBS

votes
    0.7%
  • 13th (tie)

Enom

votes
    0.7%
  • 14th (tie)

Fabulous

votes
    0.5%
  • 14th (tie)

Hexonet

votes
    0.5%
  • 15th

Cloudflare

votes
    0.4%
  • 16th

Domain.com

votes
    0.3%
  • 17th

Moniker

votes
    0.2%
  • 18th (tie)

Dotster

vote
    0.1%
  • 18th (tie)

Register.com

vote
    0.1%
  • 19th (tie)

DirectNic

votes
    0.0%
  • 19th (tie)

Hover

votes
    0.0%

equity78

Top Member
TheDomains Staff
TLDInvestors.com
Impact
Screenshot_2019-05-04 Who is the best registrar in the business (1).png

It's been over 18 months since the last big poll here. So let's take a new poll on best registrar. GoDaddy won the last two, the last one was closer with @namesilo coming in second, 253 votes vs 191 or 29.8% vs 22.5%. The previous big poll saw GoDaddy run away with it 303 votes or 52%.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
cant complain about any of them. They all are awesome. Thank you registrars!!!!

Whoohoo!

•••
Wow, just noticed Network Solutions got votes. I would love to hear the reasoning from the people who voted for them.
I did it, because I thought it would be funny. :ROFL:

•••
And I just can't take their name seriously. It's terrible in my opinion. I can't imagine asking a buyer if they are "willing to accept a push at Porkbun?" ;)
Well if you think about it, GoDaddy is just as silly a name.. :)
just a lot more well-known, so we've become blase towards the name.

PB still my fav, same as last poll.

** convenience is just a factor in many, when considering why we choose who we do. ie, pricing, UI, support etc..

•••
going for dynadot
leaving epik

hexonet is great too
best support

•••
•••
It means Dynadot won't send you money when you sell a domain. Your money from a Dynadot marketplace sale will go into your account as credit, and you can only use it to renew or register domains through Dynadot. Basically, you can't do anything about that yourself, if you sell in their marketplace.

@Dynadot you really think that is a good policy?

•••
I am torn between Dynadot and Namesilo, both have great prices and good support but since I have to choose one, I voted for dynadot because their interface is wow. It makes transaction smooth and easy like ABC

Last edited:
•••
•••
I vote for Dynadot,

they have good API that can be used for "dropcatching",
they support a lot of cctlds and ngtlds,
in recent months their backorder system became more competitive for catching .io,.me and other cctlds,
they have very transparent grace deletion scheme,
and they started to support money withdrawal to PayPal.

•••
Re marketplaces, while I would not give it priority over trust, competitive prices, and a sound interface / responsive user support, it is one factor I consider. In the 60 day lock period I usually list on the registrar marketplace as then the transfer can happen without issue. Also, if I am liquidating a domain near expiry date at low price I find that domain marketplaces work well.

There has been a lot of good discussion in this thread, and I have learned some things I did not know. I am surprised there has not been more discussion around which marketplaces support the Sedo MLS registrars or Afternic Fast Transfer. Is that because people generally don't use fast/automatic transfer, or for some other reason? When the price is almost the same, I do like to choose a registrar that supports that.

Bob

•••
Many good ones but i'm mostly satisfied with Dynadot, Great customer service, fair pricing, many useful tools and i had absolutely zero issues with them, Keep going on the right path Dynadot! :)

•••
Does the activity of a registrar's reps on NPs influence people's choice? A few of the choices are very active here, while others seemingly not at all. Other things being equal, I think that is a plus. @Joe Styler has so often helped solve things through his presence here, or at least explained them. While @Rob Monster has said too much on some topics, I would say :xf.sick:, nevertheless he has been outstanding in informing and individually helping our community.

It is interesting how influenced people are by who they use. On the one hand you know that registrar best, and might vote for them, but on other hand there is more chance something would go wrong with some domain and that might make you feel negative.

I too am somewhat surprised that NameSilo is doing so well. I am not a fan of their interface (either the original or the mod one). But what I think the community is responding positively is the competitive prices that are not linked to special offers, coupons, etc.

I am not sure why the negative comments re domainers being cheap. If they are fine on other measures, I will usually go to the cheaper alternative. But I know I am cheap! :xf.eek::xf.cool::xf.grin::-P

I honestly think we are so fortunate to have many registrars who offer excellent service and prices.

Bob

•••
@dande For whom did you vote, if it's not a secret?
Though I have 60% of my domains at Uni, I voted Dynadot.com. I looked at pricing, management interface, customer support, etc. They are simply the best for now.

•••
GoDaddy’s surprisingly slow, probably because I’m not based in the US or whatever the reason. Over the years Dynadot has opened its doors to international TLDs at a very good price incl. grace renewals and I have moved all my domains to them, I remember almost losing a client’s international TLD a while back with Moniker when they deactivated the domain name 1 whole month before its expiration date. Dynadot is the best for me, they have never let me down. I think I’ve been with them now for over 12 years. They have certainly come a long way.

Last edited:
•••
1 day left

@namesilo

Congratulations to NameSilo. Please keep up the good work!

Yes, NameSilo was acquired by Brisio Innovations some time ago. Good or bad change? Hard to say. A separate related thread is not too active:

https://www.namepros.com/threads/brisio-innovations-to-acquire-namesilo.1069563/

I think we should thank Brisio Innovations for at least not destroying what was built by Michael Goldfarb and Michael McCallister. NameSilo won this poll because of their work.

@Dynadot

Dynadot. I highly respect this registrar. I read somewhere that in its first years all Dynadot was run by just one guy... Who is, therefore, a talented businessman. I bet Dynadot will gain more business should they further develop the marketplace, including payout process. Yes, it was an original intention to pay sellers using account credits only, with little or no efforts to setup wires/paypal/bitcoin/whatever payouts. However, isn't it obvious that a domainer should be profitable, so withdrawals in real $$$ is something that any marketplace should provide... as advanced as possible... including paypal masspay, crypto, local ACH, international bankwires, even cheques (which method may be useful sometimes, not frequently, but still).

Last edited:
•••
Last edited:
•••
•••
•••
For me, it's GoDaddy as well. To date, I've had excellent account reps. I'm on my third one because they keep getting promoted.

•••
I was in two minds between Namesilo and Porkbun, and went with later one; both are simply great, at least for me.

@equity78 Shouldn't you have allowed multiple votes, 2 or maybe 3 choices? I believe there are more users who have their domains with a couple of registrars, and they are equally good, it's difficult to chose preffered one.

•••
The better question for the poll would be...

Who is the most convenient registrar?
While I totally accept the reason you voted for your choice, convenience, if you are saying the question for the poll should be that I disagree. I think the poll question should be as it is and we each decide the weighting on value, interface, features, marketplace, convenience, etc.

The poll choices seem Western oriented with the big Chinese names, the big Japenese registrar and others not included. I would also have added Domain Cost Club as option. I think the NPs number of options is a technical limit though. One solution next year might be to announce top 6 from previous year will be included then have nomination and likes preround to identify the other places but that would be complex.

Bob

•••
•••
I voted for Dynadot. Easy panel great prices, fast transfers out, improved auction interface.

Transitioned most domains out of NameSilo. Don’t like that in 2019 they don’t allow fast transfers out should you leave or sell a name. They still make you wait every second of the 5 days. Even NetSol releases faster if you answer the email. Hardly any sales compared to the old days pre them getting sold.

There are things I like about Epik and I do have names there. Whether I keep them there or not I haven’t decided.

•••
I voted for Dynadot. Easy panel great prices, fast transfers out, improved auction interface.

Transitioned most domains out of NameSilo. Don’t like that in 2019 they don’t allow fast transfers out should you leave or sell a name. They still make you wait every second of the 5 days. Even NetSol releases faster if you answer the email. Hardly any sales compared to the old days pre them getting sold.

There are things I like about Epik and I do have names there. Whether I keep them there or not I haven’t decided.
Namesilo allows fast transfers out.

It’s Enom that is slow, and horrible when it comes to transfers.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back