IT.COM

question Where do buyers go usually?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Denismth

Established Member
Impact
According to your experience, where do most buyers go? To a landing page or to marketplaces like Sedo, Afternic... ?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
To a registrar, such as Namecheap for example. Where names are usually syndicated from platforms like Afternic and Sedo, or internal domains held at that registrar.

Landers too, but less often.

Whois record email, sometimes (even if domain is listed everywhere).

All sorts of places.

Last edited:
•••
I checked few of my domains with Namecheap and dynadot and yes I can see they fetch from the auction sites. But when I click on buy now, they do not redirect to the auction sites instead they accept the payment and then I don't know what they will do. That is not my concern though.

But I wanted to know the relevance of landing pages. I read many people saying Afternic NS5 and NS6 gave them results. So if few people go to landing pages, finding the best lading page shouldn't be by concern IMO.

•••
I checked few of my domains with Namecheap and dynadot and yes I can see they fetch from the auction sites. But when I click on buy now, they do not redirect to the auction sites instead they accept the payment and then I don't know what they will do. That is not my concern though.

But I wanted to know the relevance of landing pages. I read many people saying Afternic NS5 and NS6 gave them results. So if few people go to landing pages, finding the best lading page shouldn't be by concern IMO.

Most people find landing pages less important/critical, and I agree. But it depends on various factors. Purchase venue trust is one of the key things. However most buyers will still come via syndicated means.

I'm currently using Dan and BIN + Lease to Own but that's just my (current) preference (changes over time, no major effect seen).

Can't say that I ever noticed a difference with another lander.

For high-value domains however (say above 30K), that's a different (long) story.

At 5500 domains, after filtering out bots with my capabilities (I have tech that does that): I've noticed just 2... 3 valid clicks per day, per domain. 98% of the traffic was bot traffic. No wonder how people get their account banned at Bodis etc. They have no clue what on Earth is actually being funnelled there.

That's VERY little traffic, given that 1/100 or even 1/1000 from visitors reaching a domain are truly interested in buying them, if at all.

On the other hand, at a marketplace people can search hundreds of names for a keyword, = more options.

Last edited:
•••
•••
For top tier domains, they go straight to Whatever.com

Majority go to registrar like Godaddy.

The remaining companies and businesses that have a budget for web development will usually put all their options together and decide from there. They'll check out aftermarkets, naming platforms, etc. and have a meeting to pick their domain.

Or they hire a web development company and let them handle all of it.

•••
the most? maybe better add poll to the thread, only can choosing 1

so we will know the poll result for no.1, no.2 and so on

Last edited:
•••
When I didn't have a clue about domaining, I simply went to GoDaddy and bought a domain.

•••
According to your experience, where do most buyers go? To a landing page or to marketplaces like Sedo, Afternic... ?

I created a website (https://MAJ.com) dedicated for selling my domain names and some for rent.
And I also use GoDaddy that connects to premium listing.

I prefer renting my domains to generate passive income.

•••
I created a website (https://MAJ.com) dedicated for selling my domain names and some for rent.

I like how your "domain for rent" section is all "leased" to yourself :ROFL:

•••
Or they hire a web development company and let them handle all of it.
How does works a Web Development company?

You created your site on Blogger.com? I created there my blog too and I have the same layout.

•••
Most of my landing pages get considerably more traffic, than those names got (or would get) on marketplaces. But my 'landing pages' are channels, on TV domains, so it makes sense... as far more people will visit a TV site than search for a tv domain name on a marketplace platform.

So all of my sales, to date, are direct. I only keep 100 or so domains on the marketplaces -primarily for the 'trust' factor, though the Escrow.com option meets or exceeds that level of trust.

Landing pages do little more than offer a name for sale. While domain sales, on a channel 'page', can go beyond the name to the many ways that namespace can entertain and service its audience.

•••
Where do buyers go usually?
- To haven, especially if they buy from me :xf.smile: (sorry, I couldn't refrain myself, haha)
On a serious note, most buyers search at a registrar first, all marketplaces combined are at least 100x+ less popular than all the distributing registrars, so without those, we would only see a handful of sales.

I saw some of your domains, are you Filipino by any chance?🤔

•••
I'm not listing my domains anymore, because I will be dealing with agents, and lowballers, and not know anything about the(/actual) buyer, and can't do followup (and eventually drop the domain and see it was dropcatched). Also because I'm lazy.
I prefer fixed prices (and not doing it), but removing prices is not nearly as easy as adding them. For example at Godaddy, once you add a price, you can't reset prices easily, it gives an error, like min should be 250, although by default it is 0. More importantly, you can't locate domains with prices, or expired domains.

Buyers go to registrars, registrars offer backorder, registrar tries to secure low price on seller side, and high price on buyer side. So you are bidding against at least two parties (same is true for the agent, not an easy job). But each situation is different. In most cases you can't sell a domain, although you could.

Last edited:
•••
I'm not listing my domains anymore, because I will be dealing with agents, and lowballers, and not know anything about the(/actual) buyer, and can't do followup (and eventually drop the domain and see it was dropcatched).
That get sales need to be open to every opportunity.

•••
I agree as others have stated above that many, I think particularly early startup owners, start by searching on a registrar site, and if they see a name come up, or suggested, that is important. If you have names that qualify for one of the networks, it helps to be on them.

A lot of companies looking for a rebrand, or a name for a new service, do go to the brandable places, though, I think, or employ a naming agency that may search the inventory at brandable marketplaces.

Darpan of SH posted once I think a few months ago that, surprisingly, more used search than simply typing the name into an URL to visit a lander. It seems surprising. Let's say they were wondering about the name ExampleFox they would do a Google search on ExampleFox rather than type in ExampleFox.com. That means it is important for your lander to get noticed by Google and come up in search.

The brokers with good contacts have other avenues.

There are many ways names get noticed. Obviously it is best to have as many active as possible.

-Bob

•••
•••
I don't know the percentage, but most go to either the domain or they go to whatever registrar and try looking for the name. Very few go to whois or marketplaces directly.

If your sales are bad and you are wondering why, there is a good chance you use a lander that shows up blank. Install uBlock Origin, visit one of your domains.

•••
•••
•••
•••
It is blocker of ads.
This is why I asked you install and try. What do you think, I am sharing this info about something that just blocks ads?

•••
My statistics are 70% domains sold on Sedo, 20% on registrant marketplace, 10% on DAN.
I tried Afternic in the past without great results so I'm not using it anymore.
So my suggestion is to register domains with a registrant that has an embedded marketplace so you can increse the chance to sell the domain; moreover registrants have low selling fees.
However Sedo and/or Afternic listing is a must because you benefit of their partnership programs.

•••
I like Sedo layouts:

Sales Lander V5
Web Archive Sales Crush

In first - Written Strong buyer interest, Contacts of Sedo brokers, benefits of domain and platform.
In second - Mix of parking page with general categories and sales banner at top and right.

I set them to all my domains.

Last edited:
•••
Back