Dynadot

What's Your Most Painful Regret In Your Domain Career?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Amzymayor

Established Member
Impact
Still new to the domain investment. I've had a couple of sales, some turndowns, some high hopes, some disappointments, some hard decisions to make (should I renew that or leave it? Should I accept that low offer or wait for the right bid?).

Will all this experience, it makes domain interesting and addictive for me...and sometimes it can be tiring.

But my greatest regret happened when I started investing in domains. I could remember vividly that I bough 4 dot com domains for a start. And bought 10 the next week. Kept on buying till I had 25.

So I heard about Afternic and I listed my 25 domains there. Initially I slapped $5000 on each of them, expecting something big to happen the next morning (Yes, I was always checking the mail to receive that message we all love to see, "Your domain name has sold for bla bla bla..."). But it never happened.

So, one day, I thought, if they didn't come come to me, then I should go to them. So I came on namepros, picked up a template of the outbound email, then I started sending mails to end users...one domain a day.

And this glorious morning, I received a message from Afternic that I have $1000 offer waiting for me in the account. The email instructed me to add a BIN. I was ecstatic! Then I though, "1000 is too low. I want 5000."

Sure you guessed right. Instead of placing $1000 on the name, I added $5000.

So I started monitoring my mails, expecting Michael (the name of the Afternic rep) to send a mail that the buyer has bought the name.

I waited for 3 days but I didn't receive any mail from Afternic. So I sent Michael or Afternic a message. And he replied after like 25 minutes that he has forwarded the new price to the buyer. But he didn't hear from him after. He also said he called and sent messages to the potential buyer but the response he was receiving was cold. But he promised to keep trying.

That was the end of the deal. So painful. And what made it more painful was that I can't even reg the name with my more knowledge of domaining. I carelessly lost $1000 (close to #270,000 in Nigeria) because of, should I say greed or lack of knowledge of the industry.

Anytime I log in to my account, I still see the offer smiling at me. But of course it has expired.

So, friends, what's your most disappointing moment in domain investing?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
So, big difference between "painful regret" and "biggest disappointment." A regret is something you did that you wished you didn't do ... a disappointment could be out of your control.

One of my biggest regrets was trusting someone to make a Paypal payment, then not have them completely follow-through with a sale (this was for a website ... got the domain name, but it's not worth anything without the website). Tried to dispute through Paypal but they just send automated responses - didn't really look at the uncompleted transfer. From now on - only escrow for websites (and larger $ domain names).

Biggest disappointment? Having a buyer back out of a $X,XXX deal after already having an accepted offer.

•••
Regret: Selling a portfolio that included LLLL.com, LLL.co, NNN.co and NNNNN.com too early.

•••
Selling eVirtual for 2.4k

•••
So, big difference between "painful regret" and "biggest disappointment." A regret is something you did that you wished you didn't do ... a disappointment could be out of your control.

One of my biggest regrets was trusting someone to make a Paypal payment, then not have them completely follow-through with a sale (this was for a website ... got the domain name, but it's not worth anything without the website). Tried to dispute through Paypal but they just send automated responses - didn't really look at the uncompleted transfer. From now on - only escrow for websites (and larger $ domain names).

Biggest disappointment? Having a buyer back out of a $X,XXX deal after already having an accepted offer.
Thanks for your contribution and for the correction. Really appreciate!

•••
•••
•••
We have no regrets.

We like people if domain name industry, although not all of them are polite and honest.

•••
•••
We do not, we like domain name industry.

We move all disappointments into a small section of our mind, so it does not affect our state of being.

•••
We do not, we like domain name industry.

We move all disappointments into a small section of our mind, so it does not affect our state of being.
Alright. Thanks for your contribution

•••

chargeback

•••
•••
Not purchased yy.com for $90k. Now such one cost at least 1 mln.

•••
@varmuk - couldn't use chargeback - they didn't use a credit card.

•••
•••
Well,

I didn't have any regret until 2016 when I didn't backorder HomesPrint.com which clicked everything in my rule book but for some weird reason, I didn't backorder. I looked at that domain name for long... well,one reason i didn't back order it was that I thought it will go beyond what I could cope with and considering the high exchange rate in Nigeria at that time...

When I checked how much it sold on back order, just $80, something i could have afford but 2 months after that, it sold for $4500

•••
Very firstly when we are investing in new business we should start it with a minimum investment to experience the market of that business.
But now don't worry about the unexpected bids and rates just try for the potential up rates
Good luck

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back