Domain Empire

What's wrong with Dynadot now? I felt their customer service is going down hill.

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
What's wrong with Dynadot now? I felt their customer service is going down hill.

Background: Eight of my .tv domains expired in 31 Dec 2016 and today they're go into the Day40 of grace period. I try to renew them at noon but all of the domains were already move to inactive domains section. The system no longer allow me to renew them. I immediately opened a support request via Live Chat. The staff apology but there is nothing they can do to help me. I opened an e-mail support ticket and I got the same answer too.

####### Fact ######
According to verisign website, they provide 45 days renew grace period.
https://www.verisign.com/en_US/chan...ain-registrar/domain-registration/index.xhtml

Quota from:
https://www.dynadot.com/community/help/question/renewal-grace-period
Some expired domains will be sold at auction in the Expired Auctions in our Marketplace. If this is the case with your domain, there will be no redemption period though you will still have your full renewal grace period to renew before the domain is lost entirely.

Quota from:
https://www.dynadot.com/community/help/question/expired-auctions
In rare cases, a domain won at auction will not be added to your account because it was renewed by the original registrant. If this occurs, your account will credited the full amount of the order. Because of the nature of the life-cycle of a domain, we must auction expiring domains at the tail-end of the original registrant's Renewal Grace Period.

########FACT###########

==========================

That’s what made me think Dynadot is one of the best registrars. They had a fair policy without depreciate the rights of original domain registrant. Everything sounds fair enough to me

Dynadot clearly stated that they will wait until the tail-end of the original registrant's Renewal Grace Period, as well as they allow the customer having a full renewal grace period.

The words "the tail-end of the original registrant's Renewal Grace Period" clear enough to explicit it's 45 DAY.

And the description "still have your full renewal grace period" . , the word 'full' explicit it will not shorten by any artificial means.

==============================

I created both of my namepros and Dynadot account around June 2006.

As a loyal customer of Dynadot for over 10 years, I spend more than 100,000 USD on Dynadot. At the time I opened a support request, I think Dynadot will treat me like a VIP and they are willing to help me as much as they can. Therefore, I asked for a one time exception or discount for this unexpected accident. But Dynadot refused to provide any discount or exception.

I am really sad because Dynadot told me there is nothing they can do to help me. while it's merely on DAY40 Grace period. They insisted I have to pay $9X.XX restore fee per domain If I want to get them back. Even worse, they told me one of my domain was sold in the auction and now it's fall into a in-between period and the domain will transfer to another Dynadot customer. They recommend me to buy the domain back from the new owner a few week later.

I worked in a legal firm before. To my understanding, the Domain registrar is work like a trustee which processed the domain on behalf of customer only. They are not the rightful owner.
Therefore, the registrar will play safe and waited for the domain passed its original registrant's Renewal Grace Period before they change the whois record. So they can avoid fall into lawsuit.

I 'll keep the story updated.

Kam

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I created both of my namepros and Dynadot account around June 2016.

As a loyal customer of Dynadot for over 10 years

This does not add up. How are you a customer for 10 years if you created your DD account in 2016?
Also tagging @Dynadot here

•••
This does not add up. How are you a customer for 10 years if you created your DD account in 2016?
Also tagging @Dynadot here

I corrected this mistake 22 minutes ago ...:banghead: I haven't slept for 30 hours :dead:

•••
I corrected this mistake 22 minutes ago ...:banghead: I haven't slept for 30 hours :dead:
ah. I did not see the update as I had the page open and then stepped away. Ignore my comment, please

•••
ah. I did not see the update as I had the page open and then stepped away. Ignore my comment, please

Nvm. It's not a big deal.
I keep searching on the web and finally found something useful.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/dynadot-san-mateo

Quota from:

Comment from Todd H. of Dynadot
Business Owner
8/18/2016 We apologize for any confusion regarding our expired domain auctions. Although we do place expired domains in our auctions, the original registrant is still given the full renewal grace period of 40 days to renew their domain. This renewal grace period is a standard amount of time set by the registry and it cannot be changed by us or any other registrar. We try to ensure that registrants have every opportunity to renew their domain, which is why we start sending out domain renewal notices 60 days before the domain's expiration date and we also offer an auto-renew service at no additional charge. We hope this information helps. Please feel free to contact us directly if you like to further discuss. Read less

============================================

The CEO of Dynadot, Todd clearly illustrated what's a full renewal grace period means. "It's a standard amount of time set by the registry and it cannot be changed by us or any other registrar."

Yeah, I'm right that's what made me think Dynadot is one of the best registrars and stick with it. They had a fair policy without depreciate the rights of original domain registrant. Everything sounds fair enough to us.

However, when I try to explain this to the staff of Dynadot . They didn't listen what I said.:xf.frown:

I already paid $94.99 X 6 to restore six of them which Dynadot deemed as go into redemption period on DAY40.

However, one of the domain expired on the same day is moved out from my account, the system didn't let me renew or restore it.

I already sent an email to todd. he is my last hope :xf.smile:

Last edited:
•••
I just sent out another e-mail to Todd.

=====
Hello Todd,

I don't care to pay the restore fee of 94.99 to get my domain back. The domain name is icelandic.tv, It was expired on 31 DEC 2016, Today is the DAY41 of the renew grace period.

According to what you mention on 18/8/2016 , https://en.yelp.com.hk/biz/dynadot-san-mateo

Dynadot will provide their customer a full renewal grace period while that renewal grace period is a standard amount of time set by the registry and it cannot be changed by us (Dynadot) or any other registrar.

Verisign is the only registry of .tv and it clearly stated their Renew Grace Period is 45 calendar days.
https://www.verisign.com/en_US/chan...ain-registrar/domain-registration/index.xhtml

Now, the staff in the Dynadot now insisted they cannot restore my domain even I pay for the restore fee.

My account had more than $100 prepaid credit on it.

Please look into my case and manually restore my domain icelandic.tv on my behalf and put it back to my account.

Please keep me updated!

Thanks!

•••
For whom may interested in this thread.

Let me ask you one question. How did you interpreted this paragraph ?

" original registrant is still given the full renewal grace period of XX days to renew their domain. This renewal grace period is a standard amount of time set by the registry and it cannot be changed by us or any other registrar. "

*I masked the 40 to XX to avoid confusion!
It's quote from Todd Han, The CEO of Dynadot

It's the link to the .tv registry

The full renewal grace period is apparently refer to 45 days. Right?

=======

Quote from:

https://www.dynadot.com/community/help/question/renewal-grace-period

Some expired domains will be sold at auction in the Expired Auctions in our Marketplace. If this is the case with your domain, there will be no redemption period though you will still have your full renewal grace period to renew before the domain is lost entirely.

Quote from:

https://www.dynadot.com/community/help/question/expired-auctions

In rare cases, a domain won at auction will not be added to your account because it was renewed by the original registrant. If this occurs, your account will credited the full amount of the order. Because of the nature of the life-cycle of a domain, we must auction expiring domains at the tail-end of the original registrant's Renewal Grace Period.

=====

When an expired domain auction has ended. Dynadot will transfer icelandic.tv to the new buyer account until the full grace period has ended, which is refer to 2017-2-14. Dynadot has clearly stated that the original owner has the right to entitled to a full renewal grace period.
The new buyer will lost the chance to grab the domain if the original registrant take it back before 2017-2-14.

Now, let's talk about the 40 days grace period, it's a totally different term. it is merely set by Dynadot and let's called it Dynadot's grace period to avoid confusion. it shorten to merely 40 days for a .tv, In case of the original domain owner failed to pay for renewal within Dynadot's grace period. They will charge for an extra fee for renewal.

In my case, it has passed the Dynadot's grace period but it's still within the full grace period.

Therefore , if I want to renew my domain, I have to pay for $94.99.

I don't care to pay $94.99 to renew my icelandic.tv. But the web interface didn't allow me to performed this action. This is the reason I keep asking them to manually restore my domain on my behalf. But they always said they are unable to help me.(n)

I will keep this thread updated until the problem solved.

Kam:xf.smile:

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back